02-17-2015 02:27 AM
54 123
tools
    To elaborate a bit...

I expect to pay for apps sometimes. I have no problem doing that. Sometimes immediatly and sometimes it upgrades a basic or trial version.

There are some apps I like *so* much, I upgrade from a free version even if the bump in features isn't that big a deal to me, because I love the overall app so much.

Nova is in that group for me (although the added features are also nice in this case).
    When I began reading this Nova was what I thought of.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-20-2015 11:21 AM
    Ran Nova Prime for years. Switched to smart launcher 2.
    01-21-2015 11:45 AM
    Ran Nova Prime for years. Switched to smart launcher 2.
    Just curious - what made you switch?
    01-21-2015 02:41 PM
    Just curious - what made you switch?
    Perhaps because sometimes things can work so well they seem boring, ie., the S5.
    kirksucks likes this.
    01-21-2015 02:59 PM
    I've always wondered does running anything other than launcher3/default MotoHome still keep the default home app backgrounded without rooting to disable it? I've wondered if it wasn't a waste of resources but I do run Google Home, despite the swype-up action I still like having Now on the home screens.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-24-2015 02:02 PM
    I've always wondered does running anything other than launcher3/default MotoHome still keep the default home app backgrounded without rooting to disable it? I've wondered if it wasn't a waste of resources but I do run Google Home, despite the swype-up action I still like having Now on the home screens.

If you use the multi-task button to swipe away the stock launcher after you install a replacement, or just restart the phone, it won't run in the background, no.
    01-24-2015 03:06 PM
    I just started messing with nova this week and went to prime on day one. Its awesome and no glitches I've seen! I paired it with the moonshine icon pack and havent looked back. Great stuff
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-24-2015 08:17 PM
    I have had the best luck with Nova as well!
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-25-2015 07:36 PM
    Free has a lot of features. I'd try free to begin with. If you want/need the extra functionality of the paid version you can always get it.
    Nova prime is the way to go if you're going to pay. Apex might not have the same dev support but the free version has more options than free Nova. They are very similar launchers

KPMcClave likes this.
    01-25-2015 10:00 PM
    I used Nova Prime on each prior droid. However, I started using Smart Launcher 2 for a change. I quite like it. Moreover, I spend much less time fiddling. Somehow the simplicity encourages me to spend less time "surfing" the launcher, looking for things to do. Go figure.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-26-2015 06:28 AM
    I just started messing with nova this week and went to prime on day one. Its awesome and no glitches I've seen! I paired it with the moonshine icon pack and havent looked back. Great stuff
    I've been using this exact combo and love it.
    01-26-2015 07:48 PM
    I've been using this exact combo and love it.
    Me too. I started using Zooper widget pro so I have stuff to mess around with.

01-27-2015 06:28 AM
    Nova all the way.
    01-28-2015 09:06 PM
    Anyone use Themer launcher with the Turbo (or Moto Maxx)?

Posted via Android Central App
    01-28-2015 10:52 PM
    I messed with a bunch over the years, there are some really good ones but Nova is top notch and my go-to.

The two killer features, simple though they may be, are the swipe down to open taskbar, and being
    able to have a center home screen with others flanking it. Beyond that I was OK with the stock
    launcher. It's nice that you can run pretty much whatever you want and it's till fast.
    01-29-2015 02:02 AM
    I have never used a third party launcher on any of my previous phones. After I received my Turbo, I was scouring the internet for info on all the new features so I could know exactly what this fantastic device was capable of. I found and read a number of articles and threads about launchers and my curiosity was peaked.

I ended up installing Nova (free) for the sole purpose of being able to remove the Google search bar from the top of all pages and the ability to move my home screen to the center page (like I was used to on my Razr Maxx). However, after playing around with it for a few hours, I did not hesitate to purchase the upgrade to Nova Prime. Wow. This may seem like child's play to most others here, but I never knew you could customize a phone this much without rooting it. I am blown away by the choices and features. I have downloaded a number of icon packs, even paid for a few of those as well.. because I am a firm believer in supporting developers of decent and well-executed apps, even if I don't really need the upgrade to the paid version.

So far, I am amazed with Nova Prime and will use it on every phone I have from this point forward.
    cml21 and Golfdriver97 like this.
    02-06-2015 02:15 PM
    Welcome to the rabbit hole. It is deep
    KA1OTE likes this.
    02-06-2015 03:55 PM
    Ok.. so playing more with Nova and reading more here on the forum. I have a new question..
    How do I customize my lock screen? I think I can do it with Nova Prime but I haven't been able to figure it out yet..
    02-07-2015 02:13 PM
    Ok.. so playing more with Nova and reading more here on the forum. I have a new question..
    How do I customize my lock screen? I think I can do it with Nova Prime but I haven't been able to figure it out yet..
    Is there anything under settings>display? I have Nova myself and couldn't find anything about the lockscreen.

From an AOSP M8
    02-07-2015 02:28 PM
    Is there anything under settings>display? I have Nova myself and couldn't find anything about the lockscreen.

From an AOSP M8
    No.
    I guess Nova doesn't include lock screen customization. And that's fine, it does enough already! lol
    What app do I need to be able to control my lock screen then? Any out there that come highly recommended, tried and true?
    02-07-2015 02:50 PM
    No.
    I guess Nova doesn't include lock screen customization. And that's fine, it does enough already! lol
    What app do I need to be able to control my lock screen then? Any out there that come highly recommended, tried and true?
    Unfortunately, I don't know about any non root apps that can make those changes. I have been running a custom ROM for so long, I am used to being able to make those changes at any time.

The lock screen changes may need root access, with Xposed Framework, which is kind of like an app, but not really. I know, that makes total sense. Lol!

From an AOSP M8
    02-07-2015 07:25 PM
    You're right. After lollipop the lockscreen is a LOCKED screen. Unless you root your phone of course.

The closest thing is to have an app that put something in your notification bar. Power Toggles can do that. You can have some switches in your lockscreen, but not much more. I use WiFi and flashlight Toggles. For the rest you have to unlock your phone. And that's not very helpful.
    02-07-2015 07:36 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't know about any non root apps that can make those changes. I have been running a custom ROM for so long, I am used to being able to make those changes at any time.

The lock screen changes may need root access, with Xposed Framework, which is kind of like an app, but not really. I know, that makes total sense. Lol!

From an AOSP M8
    Ah. Yes, of course. Clear as.. mud. LOL
    I'm familiar with the term 'root' but have absolutely no familiarity with the process. From what little knowledge I do have on it, I am pretty sure that isn't something I am interested in doing.
    But thanks for the reply!
    02-07-2015 08:30 PM
    You're right. After lollipop the lockscreen is a LOCKED screen. Unless you root your phone of course.

The closest thing is to have an app that put something in your notification bar. Power Toggles can do that. You can have some switches in your lockscreen, but not much more. I use WiFi and flashlight Toggles. For the rest you have to unlock your phone. And that's not very helpful.
    I have been using the Power Toggles for a few days now and am liking it.. a lot.
    I'll have to play with its features and abilities to see what it can offer me as far as a few controls on the lockscreen.
    Thanks for that info!
    Javier P likes this.
    02-07-2015 08:31 PM
    I don't use them - I like the stock lockscreen - but there are plenty of replacement lockscreen apps in the play store that don't require a rooted phone. Like this interesting looking one from Microsoft, of all companies: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...microsoft.next
    02-07-2015 08:57 PM
54 123