Launchers for the droid turbo

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have never used a third party launcher on any of my previous phones. After I received my Turbo, I was scouring the internet for info on all the new features so I could know exactly what this fantastic device was capable of. I found and read a number of articles and threads about launchers and my curiosity was peaked.

I ended up installing Nova (free) for the sole purpose of being able to remove the Google search bar from the top of all pages and the ability to move my home screen to the center page (like I was used to on my Razr Maxx). However, after playing around with it for a few hours, I did not hesitate to purchase the upgrade to Nova Prime. Wow. This may seem like child's play to most others here, but I never knew you could customize a phone this much without rooting it. I am blown away by the choices and features. I have downloaded a number of icon packs, even paid for a few of those as well.. because I am a firm believer in supporting developers of decent and well-executed apps, even if I don't really need the upgrade to the paid version.

So far, I am amazed with Nova Prime and will use it on every phone I have from this point forward.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok.. so playing more with Nova and reading more here on the forum. I have a new question..
How do I customize my lock screen? I think I can do it with Nova Prime but I haven't been able to figure it out yet..

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok.. so playing more with Nova and reading more here on the forum. I have a new question..
How do I customize my lock screen? I think I can do it with Nova Prime but I haven't been able to figure it out yet..
Is there anything under settings>display? I have Nova myself and couldn't find anything about the lockscreen.

From an AOSP M8

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Is there anything under settings>display? I have Nova myself and couldn't find anything about the lockscreen.

From an AOSP M8

No.
I guess Nova doesn't include lock screen customization. And that's fine, it does enough already! lol
What app do I need to be able to control my lock screen then? Any out there that come highly recommended, tried and true?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No.
I guess Nova doesn't include lock screen customization. And that's fine, it does enough already! lol
What app do I need to be able to control my lock screen then? Any out there that come highly recommended, tried and true?
Unfortunately, I don't know about any non root apps that can make those changes. I have been running a custom ROM for so long, I am used to being able to make those changes at any time.

The lock screen changes may need root access, with Xposed Framework, which is kind of like an app, but not really. I know, that makes total sense. Lol!

From an AOSP M8

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
You're right. After lollipop the lockscreen is a LOCKED screen. :) Unless you root your phone of course.

The closest thing is to have an app that put something in your notification bar. Power Toggles can do that. You can have some switches in your lockscreen, but not much more. I use WiFi and flashlight Toggles. For the rest you have to unlock your phone. And that's not very helpful.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't know about any non root apps that can make those changes. I have been running a custom ROM for so long, I am used to being able to make those changes at any time.

The lock screen changes may need root access, with Xposed Framework, which is kind of like an app, but not really. I know, that makes total sense. Lol!

From an AOSP M8

Ah. Yes, of course. Clear as.. mud. LOL
I'm familiar with the term 'root' but have absolutely no familiarity with the process. From what little knowledge I do have on it, I am pretty sure that isn't something I am interested in doing.
But thanks for the reply!

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
You're right. After lollipop the lockscreen is a LOCKED screen. :) Unless you root your phone of course.

The closest thing is to have an app that put something in your notification bar. Power Toggles can do that. You can have some switches in your lockscreen, but not much more. I use WiFi and flashlight Toggles. For the rest you have to unlock your phone. And that's not very helpful.

I have been using the Power Toggles for a few days now and am liking it.. a lot.
I'll have to play with its features and abilities to see what it can offer me as far as a few controls on the lockscreen.
Thanks for that info!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ah. Yes, of course. Clear as.. mud. LOL
I'm familiar with the term 'root' but have absolutely no familiarity with the process. From what little knowledge I do have on it, I am pretty sure that isn't something I am interested in doing.
But thanks for the reply!

To elaborate further (sorry I was on a break at work), Xposed Framework is an app that needs other components called modules to work. Because it changes /system files, you need to be rooted (think System administrator for Windows; basically being able to do anything with any kind of file).

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the Power Toggles for a few days now and am liking it.. a lot.
I'll have to play with its features and abilities to see what it can offer me as far as a few controls on the lockscreen.
Thanks for that info!

Let us know how it was and what you managed to use in the lockscreen.

Erick Garnica

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm using action launcher 3 with paid plus version. Icon pack is iride ui. This launcher is phenominal and like nova launcher in the sense that there is no battery drain. The animations are fluid and very lollipop like that I at times forget I am on kk

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 8405.jpg
    8405.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 8406.jpg
    8406.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 8417.jpg
    8417.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 32