What App?: Turn WiFi Off, Turn Bluetooth and Data On

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As many has suggested it, Trigger is good, but they update and tweak too often for my taste. Each update may disable some functions. If Trigger stays stable then it would be the top choice. Llama is good too.
Another suggestion is removable NFC tag. I saw somewhere on Kickstarter, something called "nfcTack" It uses suction tape instead of permanent adhesive tape, so it can be removed with out residue and is reusable. I just don't like permanent stickers in my car. I don't like hiding stickers under dash either.

I'm coming to the realization that an NFC tag is probably what I need to accomplish my goal with the least hassle. Trigger has dual function NFC tags so it will toggle the tasks each time the phone is touched to the tag. That means when I enter my vehicle, touch my phone to the tag to turn off WiFi, turn on bluetooth and data, and when I exit the vehicle, I touch phone to the tag to turn off bluetooth and data and turn on WiFi. This kind of defeats my goal of having everything automated though. And I have to remove the phone from my pocket when I enter the vehicle. First world problem, I know.

The other issue is spending the $8-$10 on the NFC tags. I really only need one and if they don't work or I don't like needing to touch the tag, I'm out the money.

AutoMateIt will perform tasks and it has a location based service included. I might try that next.

Another option is to put the power widget on my home screen and manually turn things on/off.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been able to accomplish what I want to do using AutoMateIt. I don't need to use location services. I tell it to:

When disconnected from my WiFi SSID, turn on Bluetooth, turn on data.

If connected to any other WiFi turn off data (but do nothing to Bluetooth)

If disconnected from any WiFi turn on data.

If connected to my WiFi SSID, turn off Bluetooth, turn off data.

When I leave home, within 3/4's of a block my phone loses my WiFi and turns on Bluetooth and data. I can go to family members or friends houses and connect with their WiFi, but Bluetooth remains on until I get home. Pretty slick.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
ok, need to ask, why do you need to toggle your mobile data on/off all the time ? When i'm on wifi no mobile data gets used.

Trying to save battery. If data is on while I'm driving around and I get into pockets where reception is not the greatest the phone will attempt to connect. This uses battery (at least I assume it does.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Trying to save battery. If data is on while I'm driving around and I get into pockets where reception is not the greatest the phone will attempt to connect. This uses battery (at least I assume it does.)

With a Droid Turbo, is this really an issue? Does the battery used by the app Trigger negate any savings from turning mobile data off?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
With a Droid Turbo, is this really an issue? Does the battery used by the app Trigger negate any savings from turning mobile data off?

I'm using AutoMateIt now, not Triggers.

AutoMateIt has been invoked 4 times today, I made two trips, and it used 3 seconds of CPU time. My trips took about an hour total time. That means that bluetooth and data were on for an hour and not 24/7. Bluetooth use has gone from 9% to less than 1%, so, yes I believe I am saving battery.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

for me personally this phone gives me amazing battery life by just turning a lot of junk off in the app manager. Again, for me its not worth toggling with the data over a extremely small amount of battery percentage. But hey if the app is there do to what the OP is looking to do then it certainly doesn't hurt.

Graciesmum

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I want to automate a simple function for my phone. When I leave my house I want my phone to automatically turn off the WiFi and turn on data. If I get in my bluetooth enabled vehicle, turn on the bluetooth. When I return home I want the phone to recognize my WiFi, turn on the WiFi, turn off the bluetooth and turn off data.

Seems to me this would be a location based and/or a within range of a recognized WiFi function. In other words, my phone would sense that I was getting out of WiFi range and turn on data. Then, if it senses my vehicle's bluetooth it would turn on bluetooth.

I tried "Wireless Minder" app, but it didn't work very well. I was about 5 miles from home before it activated my bluetooth and data did not turn on at all. I'm not looking for a timing app, that is, an app that checks for WiFi every "X" minutes and if it is not present it turns WiFi off and/or searches for bluetooth every "X" minutes and takes action based on the bluetooth status. I believe this was how "Wireless Minder" worked.

Any dedicated apps that will do this, or is this a job for Tasker or MacroDroid?

I came across ur post while looking for the same thing...upon my search I have found 1 ap that does this without the tags but still needs location, if this then that, or Ifttt. Jus Google that in the play store, it's well worth a look if u haven't ordered the nfc tags yet! Let me no ur thoughts or what u found to work pls?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm the original poster and AutoMateIt no longer works with Lollipop. Can't remember what rendered it useless but it was a Google function that the AutoMateIt app could access but with Lollipop, Google is no longer allowing apps to see that data. I've given up on the idea of automating this task.

I ran across IFTT and Llama in my initial search and there was some reason why I discarded them as options, though can't remember right now. I might give them another look.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've looked at IFTT... always found the interface a little goofy and way too simplified. Llama's usually been my go-to for simple things like fussing with volumes when I get to work, etc. In fact, I think I might just fire it back up on my 6P.

SteaM92

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Have you heard about MyPassi? I have been using it now for a couple of month and although its in its beta phase it really simplifies things up. For example bluetooth is automatically turned on/off when driving and when i come home wifi is also automatically turned on/off

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You can always use an nfc tag.

Posted via the Android Central App
Sure. Then I've spent $8-$10 for a dozen NFC tags, of which I will use only one tag, I need to put a permanent sticker somewhere inside my leased vehicle, and I need to pull my phone out of my pocket every time I enter or exit the vehicle and hold it next to the sticker. Not my idea of automating a function.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you heard about MyPassi? I have been using it now for a couple of month and although its in its beta phase it really simplifies things up. For example bluetooth is automatically turned on/off when driving and when i come home wifi is also automatically turned on/off
Looks like Bluetooth on/off is based on driving mode, so that would work, but WiFi on/off is location based, so it would appear GPS would needed to be "full on" and not just in battery mode.

Have sent the developers an email.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Sure. Then I've spent $8-$10 for a dozen NFC tags, of which I will use only one tag, I need to put a permanent sticker somewhere inside my leased vehicle, and I need to pull my phone out of my pocket every time I enter or exit the vehicle and hold it next to the sticker. Not my idea of automating a function.

As tony said, you need two, one to toggle one way and one to toggle another. I did this with the Maxx for a while - put one in the car, right in the cradle where I always put the phone, so I didn't have to think about it, and one right next to the back door of the house.

The stickers come off pretty easily.

But then I stopped worrying about toggling these things when I realized it saved me so little battery it wasn't worth it. But I changed my unlock method to nfc and used the nfc tag in the car to keep the phone unlocked while I was driving, so that was good. It made using Moto voice much easier, since the phone was already unlocked.

Good luck - I hope you figure it out.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You could use one and program it both ways.
My work one on my coffee mug activates wifi and lowers call volume. I used to have it check in to foursquare and turn off bt but not anymore. When I leave work I tap again and it does the reverse. Same w tag at home. Starts up Pandora, turns on bt, turns off wifi. Coming home tapping it does opposite. Plus they make keyfob tags I thought.

Posted via the Android Central App

YouBlue_dev

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I developed YouBlue React to handle this kind of stuff for you.

You can create a profile for your car, and set up reactions for WiFi

I suggest set "when WiFi disconnects" -> "turn on Bluetooth"
"when Bluetooth connects -> "turn off WiFi"
"when Bluetooth disconnects -> "turn on WiFi"

Regarding your data on/off, your device shouldn't be using data while WiFi is connected. If it is, then you need to check your phone's settings. Disable "download booster" and "smart network switch" type settings. They try to improve your bandwidth by making use of both WiFi and your data.

wa0XJ-IRFdLCZJXEcOxkeo8j1UKoSSqG80b8jJWe3HKKEjtbUUAdh-ecGIXm32RnPg=h900
aEt9e_HLkOx6N4C0XDzyzgLxlfM-dWWwDc2mvgoed0fDil1Gesuod-VvkTY2J7tvB9HQ=h900