MIME offers Tempered Glass

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
My MIME ghost glass protector didn't go on correctly. There was a glitch with the adhesive, and it didn't stick to all the spots on the phone. I sent an email to MIMEUSA, with pictures, and they gave me a code to use in their store for a free replacement. That's a company that has good service. Once i get this new one on my phone (It's supposed to arrive today or tomorrow), I'll probably buy one for my wife's Turbo as well.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Received my Mime today...

I'm sorry to report that, despite the positive reviews and the spectacular packaging, it was terribly haloed and there were even a few spots near the center of the screen that it simply didn't adhere to the glass. I have sent a message to Mime via their Contact page requesting a refund. I'll be sure to report back on the quality of their customer service. Given their reputation (and again, that impressive packaging) I am expecting a quick and professional reply.

Very disappointed as it seemed quite solid in hand although I was surprised at the thickness (compared only to iVoler, the only other tempered glass I have personally dealt with so far).

IMG_1089.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg
IMG_1093.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg

I'm going into the greater Salt Lake City basin next Monday, so I'll be searching for Premium Retailer locations in an attempt to track down the new tempered (non-flexible) glass now being offered by VZW. If that doesn't work, then I suppose I'm done playing around and will just go naked (even though I do not care for non-protected screens). It is Gorilla Glass after all, right? Ugh.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Received my Mime today...
I'm sorry to report that, despite the positive reviews and the spectacular packaging, it was terribly haloed and there were even a few spots near the center of the screen that it simply didn't adhere to the glass. I have sent a message to Mime via their Contact page requesting a refund. I'll be sure to report back on the quality of their customer service. Given their reputation (and again, that impressive packaging) I am expecting a quick and professional reply.
Very disappointed as it seemed quite solid in hand although I was surprised at the thickness (compared only to iVoler, the only other tempered glass I have personally dealt with so far).

MIME refunded me so you should be fine. Their quality is top notch but these companies need to learn that they must cut the protectors shorter. Their quality is consistent but if you're even one centimeter off on the alignment it messes up all sides because its a perfect cut and its not flexible.

This is why Verizon offers the best Tempered Glass solution. Smaller but fits properly and I can confirm I installed one for my sister today and like mine there's no issues. There was a SLIGHT lift like mine had on the edges but they pushed out easily and sits flat once I pushed the "bubbles" out.

That's 2 for Verizon so far. :)

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
MIME refunded me so you should be fine. Their quality is top notch but these companies need to learn that they must cut the protectors shorter. Their quality is consistent but if you're even one centimeter off on the alignment it messes up all sides because its a perfect cut and its not flexible.

This is why Verizon offers the best Tempered Glass solution. Smaller but fits properly and I can confirm I installed one for my sister today and like mine there's no issues. There was a SLIGHT lift like mine had on the edges but they pushed out easily and sits flat once I pushed the "bubbles" out.

That's 2 for Verizon so far. :)

Excellent news. Best I've heard all day, actually.
I've edited my post to include pictures, but I'll say it again.. I'm going to go hunting up north in the big city for this VZW tempered glass on Monday. Just hoping I can find a retailer who actually carries/offers it. I know I can order online but I'm already going north and would like to just pick one up instead of waiting on the USPS yet again. I'm getting a little impatient which is unlike me normally lol

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Excellent news. Best I've heard all day, actually.
I've edited my post to include pictures, but I'll say it again.. I'm going to go hunting up north in the big city for this VZW tempered glass on Monday. Just hoping I can find a retailer who actually carries/offers it. I know I can order online but I'm already going north and would like to just pick one up instead of waiting on the USPS yet again. I'm getting a little impatient which is unlike me normally lol

Your pictures show what I'm talking about. Notice at the bottom one sensor is covered while the other isn't. That alignment issue along with you positioning it just slightly too high messed it all up.

Verizon has a red dot matrix on the front film that outlines the display area so you will be fine since you got this down to an art. :)

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Your pictures show what I'm talking about. Notice at the bottom one sensor is covered while the other isn't. That alignment issue along with you positioning it just slightly too high messed it all up.

Verizon has a red dot matrix on the front film that outlines the display area so you will be fine since you got this down to an art. :)

I'll admit that I'm not perfect, but those lower sensor lights are not evenly matched. The one on the left is slightly higher.. something I noticed during my iVoler escapades. Either way, the Mime was as centered as I could possibly get it, having used the camera as my main guide as well as some other previously posted pictures here.
And I'm not alone as there are others who have mentioned ill-fitting Mimes also.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll admit that I'm not perfect, but those lower sensor lights are not evenly matched. The one on the left is slightly higher.. something I noticed during my iVoler escapades. Either way, the Mime was as centered as I could possibly get it, having used the camera as my main guide as well as some other previously posted pictures here.
And I'm not alone as there are others who have mentioned ill-fitting Mimes also.

Oh I agree. I had the same issues with MIME on my first install. All I'm saying is these glass protectors are not flexible at all so if they're not made shorter like the Verizon one you'll end up with a lot of halo effect if misaligned even the slightest.

In saying that, the same can and I'm sure will happen to people with Verizon's Tempered Glass because some have trouble installing. However, in that case, they would also be leaving the display exposed a bit since its cut to fit. No one can quite figure out the 100% proper alignment of the others though. :(

As a side note, don't be worried about the way the Verizon Tempered Glass feels at first. Once installed, wipe the front off with an alcohol pad to remove any residue from the film. It'll feel smooth and drag free.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Did you ever get the Verizon Tempered Glass? Mine is still looking great! :)

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Did you ever get the Verizon Tempered Glass? Mine is still looking great! :)

Yes I did and it installed mostly perfect. There are a couple spots where it just doesn't want to adhere along the edge, no matter how much I try to persuade it otherwise. It is also a tad on the short side, meaning it could certainly cover more of the upper part of the screen (as my one well-cut iVoler did). But other than that, it is a decent product that I'll keep on my Turbo until I come across a better one.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did and it installed mostly perfect. There are a couple spots where it just doesn't want to adhere along the edge, no matter how much I try to persuade it otherwise. It is also a tad on the short side, meaning it could certainly cover more of the upper part of the screen (as my one well-cut iVoler did). But other than that, it is a decent product that I'll keep on my Turbo until I come across a better one.

Yeah, its short. Did you line it up properly with the dotted matrix? I found a few areas that lifted but in my case they stuck with some pressure.

I hope Zagg Glass fits good as it'll be another option. I do like the Verizon Glass as its the best option I have found thus far. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that even slightly off the perfect alignment will cause a lift. Manufacturers need to stop with 2D Glass. I don't want nor need the hassle.

eabaggot

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If you go with the Verizon glass, I recommend placing it so the bottom dotted line is actually a millimeter or two above where it indicates, because it seems like the bottom is where most of the gap is. There is a little room to spare at the top so I think it's safe to slide the glass up. It's just like the photos above - there are slight "bays" between the sensors where the protector and screen are not in contact.
VerizonGlass.jpg
That being said, I think I got the side-to-side placement absolutely correct this time, yet there is still a slight halo all around still. Oh well - I will go ahead and leave it as is for now, until I hear of something.better. At least there is no dust.

Attachments

• CIMG2206.JPG
    CIMG2206.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If you go with the Verizon glass, I recommend placing it so the bottom dotted line is actually a millimeter or two above where it indicates, because it seems like the bottom is where most of the gap is. There is a little room to spare at the top so I think it's safe to slide the glass up. It's just like the photos above - there are slight "bays" between the sensors where the protector and screen are not in contact.
View attachment 166768
That being said, I think I got the side-to-side placement absolutely correct this time, yet there is still a slight halo all around still. Oh well - I will go ahead and leave it as is for now, until I hear of something.better. At least there is no dust.

I can't understand that. I don't have any of that halo effect on my phone or my sisters phone.

One thing to remember is since its not flexible a mess up on one side can ruin another side. Your installation is just as bad as iVoler was for me which makes no sense.

I did clean both devices with an alcohol pad before installation. Maybe that helped it stick? I don't know. I did have to "push" some bubbles out though but after a bit of effort (a minute) they were gone.

eabaggot

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I ended up going to the Verizon store and showing the store manager the problem. She said they put those protectors on the phones all the time and do not have the problem with the failure to contact at the bottom. I had a spare unopened protector and asked her if she would put it on for me. She said she would and came out after a few minutes with an almost perfect installation.
She said two things that are very important:
1. Disregard the horizontal dotted line. Instead, get the vertical alignment correct by eye, starting from the top and matching up the cutouts where the glass exposes the front camera, etc.
2. Do not press on the protector during installation.
So, kudos, whatever they are, to our local Verizon store.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I ended up going to the Verizon store and showing the store manager the problem. She said they put those protectors on the phones all the time and do not have the problem with the failure to contact at the bottom. I had a spare unopened protector and asked her if she would put it on for me. She said she would and came out after a few minutes with an almost perfect installation.
She said two things that are very important:
1. Disregard the horizontal dotted line. Instead, get the vertical alignment correct by eye, starting from the top and matching up the cutouts where the glass exposes the front camera, etc.
2. Do not press on the protector during installation.
So, kudos, whatever they are, to our local Verizon store.

The horizontal line is fine but its not necessary. There is plenty of room on both top and bottom to move. The vertical has little wiggle room so I would agree with her. As for not pressing, I can't imagine this matters. But then again I use tape to make a hinge and it adheres itself. I only use pressure once its on to clear out any bubbles.

Glad she got it corrected for you!

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
My first iVoler fit amazingly. Almost end to end full screen cover with zero halo effect. However the phone slid out if my pocket while sitting and two edges were chipped. So I ordered another. It had haloing on the bottom. Went thru 3 of them all haloing and was able to get a half refund.

Decided to try the Verizon tempered glass. Not the flexible glass. It is cut a lot shorter than I would like, but fits perfect, zero halo effect. The glass is super thin and very responsive. So far, the best glass out there for the Turbo. Curious how the Zagg glass will compare when it is finally released.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
My first iVoler fit amazingly. Almost end to end full screen cover with zero halo effect. However the phone slid out if my pocket while sitting and two edges were chipped. So I ordered another. It had haloing on the bottom. Went thru 3 of them all haloing and was able to get a half refund.

Decided to try the Verizon tempered glass. Not the flexible glass. It is cut a lot shorter than I would like, but fits perfect, zero halo effect. The glass is super thin and very responsive. So far, the best glass out there for the Turbo. Curious how the Zagg glass will compare when it is finally released.

Zagg understands the 2D displays because they went through it with the Note 4. I hope its good but if you're looking for a larger protector you may be out of luck. I think Verizon cut it perfectly to ensure perfect figment with no halo each time. I can image any bigger would cause an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca