06-28-2015 03:00 AM
176 ... 34567 ...
tools
    And both were *outside* That is, lit fully by the sky. Not indoors. Not with indoor light. Outside

Indoor shot. Low light. Moving action (soccer ball rolling across floor at walking speed or approx. 3 mph).

Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-soccerball2_open_dr.jpg
    04-15-2015 10:52 AM
    Heyyyy.. I'm kind a photographer type of a person. And all my phones just NEED to have a good camera. Not to mention that they need to give the best phone experience as well. Having said that I've used all the iPhones till the 5S, Note 3, HTC one M8, Xperia z2 and the z3. And here's a comparison of my current Droid Turbo with all of them.

In conclusion, Turbo takes pictures of the same quality as the xperia takes and the note 3 takes. IPhone, note 4 and the s5 and s6 are more consistent and faster. Yes. There's no denying that. But the difference is only marginal (in daylight only).

So overall I think the Moto Droid Turbo is a winner. I've managed to take some really detailed shots which I will be happy to share if you want. Those include pictures of a moving car moving people and basic architectural compositions. Just as good as the Xperia series, the samsungsand the iPhone (in daylight minus the shutter lag which only hinders sometimes). Lowlight shots are just bad. Especially with moving subjects. For that the Samsungs and the apples are way better.

So what you're really giving up on is only 'a few' of the action shots in daylight. And lowlight photography. And I'd suggest taking burst shots in the night. One of them might come out right. That's what I do.

No phone is perfect.
    and

They tried to go all in with the features in this phone and for me they succeeded in every department except the camera. And I'd still rate the camera 8/10.
    I understand the frustration. I do. But none of the phones I've had before did any better. I'm so sorry to say this but indoor shots have always been tricky. Even with my iPhone.
    Yay! This has been my stance all along. The Turbo has a very good camera, almost as good as the iPhone, Note, and S5. Like all phones it's going to have trouble with low light shots and extreme action shots. Still, good shots under these conditions can be had. Learn the foibles of the phone.
    04-15-2015 11:04 AM
    indoors my daughter moving no out door lighting moving children.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-5725.jpg  
    04-15-2015 11:11 AM
    The camera is fine , if you hate it it is your opinion , I personally do not have any problems. Also I have stated several times if you record video at 1080p or 4k and tap the screen the shutter speed is much quicker and the moving images come out great, try that then when your done delete the video and keep the pictures you want.

04-15-2015 11:16 AM
    and

Yay! This has been my stance all along. The Turbo has a very good camera, almost as good as the iPhone, Note, and S5. Like all phones it's going to have trouble with low light shots and extreme action shots. Still, good shots under these conditions can be had. Learn the foibles of the phone.
    Both jamielov and I came from a Droid Maxx to the Turbo. We both got better pictures in the same low light situations, in the same places, with the Maxx. Please explain what foibles the Turbo has that the Maxx didn't.
    jamielov likes this.
    04-15-2015 01:45 PM
    Indoor shot. In a gym. No windows. Indoor light. Moving action.

Attachment 171784
    Based on your later post, I assume this was posted as proof of the ability to take good indoor motion pics? I Liked it at first because I thought you were suporting the low light issues problem with it.
    04-15-2015 01:48 PM
    Guys...I've gotten rid of the phone. Seriously, can't we agree to disagree? I'm not sure what else you are looking for? "OK, i am really dumb and can not figure out the advanced capacities of taking a photo with the almighty droid Turbo. I am a horrible human being, and should've been brought up better, because your examples obviously hold much more weight in the decision of this argument, which is clearly either wrong or right. There is no middle ground. The mistakes and horrid pictures were all my own fault, and I'm dumb for thinking otherwise".

I hope we can now end this back and forth. Maybe someday, though, you can realize others opinions are just as valid as yours.
    04-15-2015 01:48 PM
    Based on your later post, I assume this was posted as proof of the ability to take good indoor motion pics? I Liked it at first because I thought you were suporting the low light issues problem with it.
    No, power droid has been following me post to post, and it was only a matter of time before he showed up...again...to prove me wrong and himself right.
    04-15-2015 01:49 PM
    The camera is fine , if you hate it it is your opinion , I personally do not have any problems. Also I have stated several times if you record video at 1080p or 4k and tap the screen the shutter speed is much quicker and the moving images come out great, try that then when your done delete the video and keep the pictures you want.

Wouldnt it just be easier and more fair/realistic for others to listen to your stance if you simply said..."the camera is fine, for me, and here is why...".

The video suggestion doesn't seem at all ridiculous to you? In order to get good pictures, you have to first start recording then start taking pictures from that? Seems to go against any thought process of "21 mp powerhouse camera at the flick of the wrist so you won't miss any of the action" (as long as you video record it and hit the screen for constant pictures, then go back and erase the video and delete 8 of the 10 pictures you shot
    04-15-2015 01:52 PM
    No, power droid has been following me post to post, and it was only a matter of time before he showed up...again...to prove me wrong and himself right.
    I've barely been reading this forum in the past weeks, and have only made a few posts. Just go back to the beginning of this thread and read. I'm not out to prove you wrong and me right, I was trying to help.

Oh well. I must have gotten the one and only magically blessed Turbo camera that can take decent motion shots (most of the time).
    04-15-2015 02:04 PM
    I've barely been reading this forum in the past weeks, and have only made a few posts. Just go back to the beginning of this thread and read. I'm not out to prove you wrong and me right, I was trying to help.

Oh well. I must have gotten the one and only magically blessed Turbo camera that can take decent motion shots (most of the time).
    So you reread the entire post, then throw the same pictures as before (which I suppose cancel out those who posted awful ones of feel they are bad), say how wonderful it is, sarcastically say you have "the one magic camera" but aren't trying to disprove me. OK.
    04-15-2015 02:06 PM
    Both jamielov and I came from a Droid Maxx to the Turbo. We both got better pictures in the same low light situations, in the same places, with the Maxx. Please explain what foibles the Turbo has that the Maxx didn't.
    I didn't have the Maxx, I had the Maxx HD. Anyway, when I take my pics with the Turbo I use "auto exposure" and the "tap to focus" feature to focus on that part of the subject matter I want in focus. After snapping the picture I don't move my hands for a split second to make up for the shutter lag. Just hold the camera steady for a short while after taking the picture.

With non-Moto camera apps it is advantageous to program the volume button to be the shutter because then you can hold the phone steadier since you are using two hands to hold it, and if you can program the volume button to take the picture when you release it (rather than take the picture when you depress it) you can ease the shutter activation without jarring the camera. I could program the volume button in this manner with my Maxx HD. (I really wish they had OIS on this phone!)
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-15-2015 02:11 PM
    I think it's a fabulous shot. Look at the picture.

1. I have the digital zoom turned all the way up. That's a recipe for disaster for objects in motion photos. My focus point is the basket.
    2. I captured the ball swishing through the basket. This despite the shutter lag which many, including me, complain about.
    3. Look at the basketball netting. That is being violently and quickly jerked into motion yet it is in pretty good focus.
    4. The ball is somewhat blurry. That's because of the extreme zoom, the fact that I tapped to focus on the basketball rim, and the ball has severe backspin on it.
    04-15-2015 02:15 PM

That basketball shot isn't "decent" by my defintiion. If that's OK for you, then I guess that's a part of the disconnect in this discussion. That's a terrible shot in what looks like a decently lit gym.
    jamielov likes this.
    04-15-2015 02:16 PM
    I think it's a fabulous shot. Look at the picture.

1. I have the digital zoom turned all the way up. That's a recipe for disaster for objects in motion photos. My focus point is the basket.
    2. I captured the ball swishing through the basket. This despite the shutter lag which many, including me, complain about.
    3. Look at the basketball netting. That is being violently and quickly jerked into motion yet it is in pretty good focus.
    4. The ball is somewhat blurry. That's because of the extreme zoom, the fact that I tapped to focus on the basketball rim, and the ball has severe backspin on it.
    Here's a basketball shot I took a week or two ago outdoors. Look at how clear the ball is. I realize that indoors isn't going to be anywhere near the same clarity, and that the angles and all aren't exactly the same, but compare the ideal to your shot and I think it's a *huge* dropoff. I wouldn't have even saved the shot you took if I took it. I think I could have taken a better one with the Maxx.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a jerk here. Our definitions for what's "decent" on indoor motion are apparently the issue.

Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-img_20150402_140140.jpg
    jamielov likes this.
    04-15-2015 02:25 PM
    That basketball shot isn't "decent" by my defintiion. If that's OK for you, then I guess that's a part of the disconnect in this discussion. That's a terrible shot in what looks like a decently lit gym.
    Given the parameters under which it was taken, what's wrong with it?
    04-15-2015 04:36 PM
    indoors my daughter moving no out door lighting moving children.

Love the matching daddy daughter glasses irishlak!
    irishlak likes this.
    04-15-2015 05:32 PM
    Lol she picked them out for that exact reason. I hope it was not some kind of crack at me and my daughter ...

04-15-2015 05:45 PM
    Lol she picked them out for that exact reason. I hope it was not some kind of crack at me and my daughter ...

Not at all, I'm a dad myself and my wife likes to put the little guy in his Yankees hat when I'm rocking mine.
    Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-luca-spring-nyy.jpg

FYI, photo taken in direct sun using Droid Turbo.
    irishlak likes this.
    04-15-2015 05:57 PM
    That's awesome , good picture, my daughter rocks a Los Angeles kings jersey # 77 Jeff carter she says she is going to get married to him lol. Even though they played like crap all season and missed the playoffs . that's why I'm going out to the Fireing range nothing much to do in this small town in Colorado. Go black hawks lmao

04-15-2015 06:16 PM
    Given the parameters under which it was taken, what's wrong with it?
    It looks terrible. It's blurry and mushy.
    04-15-2015 07:36 PM
    Not at all, I'm a dad myself and my wife likes to put the little guy in his Yankees hat when I'm rocking mine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luca Spring NYY.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	316.3 KB 
ID:	171882

FYI, photo taken in direct sun using Droid Turbo.
    Based on his expression, he might be a Red Sox fan.
    04-15-2015 07:37 PM
    Unrelated... I'm a Penguins fan (well they pay my salary) and in have access to some amazing picture opportunities, which is why I get so into the whole camera phone debate.
    04-15-2015 07:45 PM
    Based on his expression, he might be a Red Sox fan.
    Heresy! He's mean muggin' bc he just woke up from a nap. That or he was confused by that bright orange ball up in the sky, we hadn't seen that in the Northeast in about six months!
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-16-2015 09:35 AM
    Heresy! He's mean muggin' bc he just woke up from a nap. That or he was confused by that bright orange ball up in the sky, we hadn't seen that in the Northeast in about six months!
    I'm in Syracuse. I feel ya.
    04-16-2015 11:10 AM
176 ... 34567 ...