06-28-2015 03:00 AM
176 ... 45678
tools
    I'm in Syracuse. I feel ya.
    I was just in your neck of the woods for 2 weeks at the end of March. Wow. Rough winter. Also, enjoyed Dinosaur BBQ 3 times while in the area! If only we could get a BBQ joint in COS like that.

Cheers!
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-16-2015 02:05 PM
    I was just in your neck of the woods for 2 weeks at the end of March. Wow. Rough winter. Also, enjoyed Dinosaur BBQ 3 times while in the area! If only we could get a BBQ joint in COS like that.

Cheers!
    Yep, it was the worst February ever here (lowerst average temp of any month of 9 degrees was coldest by 3 full degrees, 2nd snoweist Feb). I plugged my Turbo in to the Turbo charger just to warm up!

Glad you enjoyed the Dinosaur.
    04-16-2015 02:25 PM
    nothing in the photo looks particularly clear in my opinion. the dog more so because it is moving.
    04-16-2015 06:42 PM

Screaming, running pack of girls. The camera seems fine to me. These were all action shots with no editing.
    88horizon5speed likes this.
    04-19-2015 11:41 AM
    https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04...d4ac692c59.jpg

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04...79bcd48279.jpg

Screaming, running pack of girls. The camera seems fine to me. These were all action shots with no editing.
    Try it indoors...
    04-19-2015 11:57 AM
    This is such a weird game. You post 4 bad pictures, I'll post 4 good pictures,. Therefore I am right. Your messy pics don't matter because I posted good ones.
    04-19-2015 12:12 PM
    Here's something interesting...

15mp
    HDR off
    Touch to focus/set exposure
    Auto flash

First photo I dragged and focused on the light.

Second photo I focused on the fan blades.

Third I focused on the TV

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-img_20150419_140319923.jpg   Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-img_20150419_140326676.jpg   Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-img_20150419_140533004.jpg  
    04-19-2015 01:11 PM
    21mp
    HDR off
    Auto flash

Same as before...

This time... Notice how unfocused the third photo is when focusing on the TV. I tried turning on Netflix but I continued to have focusing problems this time around.

Attached Thumbnails Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-img_20150419_141401351.jpg   Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-img_20150419_141424794.jpg   Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-img_20150419_141444814.jpg  
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-19-2015 01:20 PM
    21mp
    HDR off
    Auto flash

Same as before...

This time... Notice how unfocused the third photo is when focusing on the TV. I tried turning on Netflix but I continued to have focusing problems this time around.

Hmm. On which photos did the flash trigger (the second and third in each example)? It's odd that the TV would be out of focus since it is stationary.
    04-19-2015 02:58 PM
    Yeah... Don't know what that was about... I took about ten photos and at least half were out of focus and it would refocus over and over.

Flash wasn't triggered at any point.

I think most interesting is that this camera was able to catch the fan moving without any blur when I focused on the actual light.

Edit... I wasn't able to get that photo without the touch to focus feature. Another clue to why some have more blur than others?

KPMcClave likes this.
    04-19-2015 03:32 PM
    Something else to talk about is the brightness and colors. I'm not a photographer but it looks like the 15mp shot is generating different photos from 21mp

04-19-2015 03:43 PM
    Strange indeed. As I continue to say, too many variable and issues getting a good photo. The whole purpose pretty much of a camera phone is a quick point and shoot. The lengths moto is making people go through to seemingly "trick" the camera is too much work.
    04-19-2015 04:55 PM
    Yeah... Don't know what that was about... I took about ten photos and at least half were out of focus and it would refocus over and over.

Flash wasn't triggered at any point.

I think most interesting is that this camera was able to catch the fan moving without any blur when I focused on the actual light.

Edit... I wasn't able to get that photo without the touch to focus feature. Another clue to why some have more blur than others?

I've used touch to focus all along, FWIW.

With motion shots like this one, I wonder if a more predictable motion has anything to do with it. A fan, a ball rolling acorss the floor, etc. I have no idea why that would matter, but of the shots in lower light that people have been able to capture, they're almost always (I think always...using almost just in case) of this type of motion. Humans and pets who don't move in a rythmic, predicatble pattern are more the issue.

In a pic like the TV out of focus, it's almost as though the motion from the fan might be "distracting" the camera? In some of the motion shots of my daughter playing hoops, it seems others I wasn't focusing on are less blurry than she is. Or maybe she just got game!
    04-19-2015 07:03 PM
    re: snapping a pic while recording video

That is exactly what I do. Works perfectly. Usually taking a video already
    04-20-2015 02:23 PM
    re: snapping a pic while recording video

That is exactly what I do. Works perfectly. Usually taking a video already
    I did try this Saturday and the pics were essentially no better than the others I've taken using assorted tactics.

What I realized yesterday, though, is that I had the video setting at 1080 quality. If I'd realized it Saturday, I would have also tried some shots with 4K quality (or whatever the top quality is called). I will give that a try next Saturday. I am not confident it will matter (because nothing I've tried has seemed to make a significant difference), but we'll give it a go.
    04-20-2015 05:31 PM
    I've been using Snap Camera. The image stabilizing feature helps me get better pics. Still not as good as the wife's Note4, but better than the stock camera.
    psf57 likes this.
    04-21-2015 09:51 AM
    Tried the Snap Camera, just installed the paid version. An awesome app. Like the additional settings Snap Camera provides.It seems it's faster and focus is faster and more clear. I like the additional lighting when you snap a pic in dim light. Also, the different sizes of pics. All around great app.
    04-21-2015 01:09 PM
    what I really want is manual camera, but we need at least 5.0 for it too work of course lol
    04-21-2015 07:12 PM
    Are you able to set Snap Camera to open with the gestures? I use the twisting the phone a LOT to get shots and it'd suck if it won't let you use the camera app you want to use.
    04-22-2015 02:09 PM
    Shot these in burst mode this morning. My dog is camera shy, so i was trying to catch him before he took off and was in motion as I circled around him to catch him being cute.

Attached Thumbnails Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-74054.jpg   Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-74063.jpg   Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-74070.jpg   Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?-74078.jpg  
    04-22-2015 02:13 PM
    Are you able to set Snap Camera to open with the gestures? I use the twisting the phone a LOT to get shots and it'd suck if it won't let you use the camera app you want to use.
    I did a quick scan thru the settings and I don't see this option.
    04-23-2015 05:40 AM
    I did try this Saturday and the pics were essentially no better than the others I've taken using assorted tactics.

What I realized yesterday, though, is that I had the video setting at 1080 quality. If I'd realized it Saturday, I would have also tried some shots with 4K quality (or whatever the top quality is called). I will give that a try next Saturday. I am not confident it will matter (because nothing I've tried has seemed to make a significant difference), but we'll give it a go.
    I did try with the top resolution video setting. The stills I captured that way where marginally better, but not in any meaningful way (only one or maybe two of any use out of a dozen or so I snapped). FYI, overall resolution of these shots is significantly lower than the 21 MP stills.

Bottom line is that it may help a little bit...it seems it does help a little bit...but not enough to overcome the lower light with motion issue well enough to say it's acceptable. It's possible in the other gym where our daughter plays in the winter (bigger windows) maybe this would make more of a difference.

Here's a lighting oddity I noticed this morning in the gym (while shooting stills not via video running). The four windows are high up the walls and all the lights were on. Definitely enough light to capture some decent action shots with a camera that handles those better. The oddity is that it seemed the Turbo's camera did better with me *facing* the high windows than with the windows behind me. Viewing the court and players with the naked eye, they were definitely better lit with the windows behind me, yet the blur was strong on the pics. The shots with the windows in front of me also had a lot of blurry attempts, but the ratio of usable to not seemed better. The ratios are low in either case, so it could just be luck, but even the non-usable shots with windows in front of me were closer to usable than the shots with windows behind.

FYI, I wasn't using HDR (which might make front lit shots better but would also add blur). So, this observation is very counter-intuitive. Maybe this offers a hint to someone as to what the issue may truly be?
    04-25-2015 11:26 AM
    This is one of the key questions I have as well. I feel as though there should be a setting somewhere. Hmmm....what if I disabled the built in camera?
    04-25-2015 02:42 PM
    This is one of the key questions I have as well. I feel as though there should be a setting somewhere. Hmmm....what if I disabled the built in camera?
    Nope. No go.
    04-25-2015 02:46 PM
    Cleaned up some posts. Remember, when you see trolling (or anything you don't care for) we do not want to engage. Please report them or move on.
    doogald and GeodudeFFP like this.
    05-04-2015 01:00 PM
176 ... 45678