Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Depending upon the size of the figures these are near perfect conditions for focusing. High contrast and a uniform background is just what a focusing system prays for.

Nope. This is essentially a person standing in front of a window, or a backlighting situation. Subject in the photo will be underexposed.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Powrdroid...it doesn't bother me at all people are happy with the camera. And as I've stated many times...if I'm taking a picture of a stationary object in perfect light, I'll prob get a good picture. But to defend this camera to the lengths you do is laughable.

You've picked apart my complaining about blurry hockey games. I'm 99% sure no matter what scenario I pick you can also dissect to tell me why I can't get a useable picture (dog: color of the carpet coupled with the sunlight and the dogs spots could play havoc on the auto focus. Concert: dark venue with colored lights throwing off the auto focus, and causing ghosting) until there is really nothing left to take pictures of.

Depending on the situation you are trying to photograph, it typically will require some forethought to get a good picture. Unless it is a nicely lit scene with (mostly) stationary objects you will have to plan your shots.

It's not just the Turbo camera, it's almost all cell phone cameras. Apple is ahead of everyone, so is Nokia. Samsung makes better shooters than Moto.

If it's only the Moto phone's cameras, how do you explain the numerous threads in other phone forums complaining about the exact same issues that you have?

Conversely, why do I have a high rate of success with my Turbo's photos?

charklos

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
I find that the "Google Camera" app in the Play Store works very well on my Turbo. No complaints here 😎

Posted Turbo fast from my Droid Turbo 64gb Emp-Ed

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
That was taken with my Maxx at a Pens game. Managed to point and shoot and not have any issues with the stationary players or the ones in motion in the same shot.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Depending on the situation you are trying to photograph, it typically will require some forethought to get a good picture. Unless it is a nicely lit scene with (mostly) stationary objects you will have to plan your shots.

It's not just the Turbo camera, it's almost all cell phone cameras. Apple is ahead of everyone, so is Nokia. Samsung makes better shooters than Moto.

If it's only the Moto phone's cameras, how do you explain the numerous threads in other phone forums complaining about the exact same issues that you have?

Conversely, why do I have a high rate of success with my Turbo's photos?

I am not sure why your Turbo photos are so successful. You seem to give me every indication why any of the various types of shots I mention will fail, so I can only guess much like the constant apologists on here, you only take stationary shots? Because any other type of shot I want to take you tell me it will not work. Maybe instead of me having a faulty camera, you have the magical one that takes all the amazing pictures, while I struggle under any conditions to get a usable photo of anything at all in motion.

It would be one thing if I was in here bashing motorola and all their devices and phones, but I am not. I have used almost every incarnation of the droid. This one is hands down an awful camera. You can spin it any way you like, you can compare it to other forums complaining...but the truth is the shutter speed is painfully lacking. It just is. I dont want or need award winning photos. I also dont want to carry around a separate camera. I simply want a camera that works. As moto promised..."you wont miss any of the action with this powerhouse camera!" I didnt make that up. Im not selectively choosing words. That is what it is, and that is why I am so bothered by this and would like it fixed. Other recommended solutions were using photo burst and deleting the 9 bad photos from the 10 it takes. Again, this shouldnt be this complicated to get a good photo.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure why your Turbo photos are so successful. You seem to give me every indication why any of the various types of shots I mention will fail, so I can only guess much like the constant apologists on here, you only take stationary shots? Because any other type of shot I want to take you tell me it will not work. Maybe instead of me having a faulty camera, you have the magical one that takes all the amazing pictures, while I struggle under any conditions to get a usable photo of anything at all in motion.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...to-s-auto-focus-blurry-why-3.html#post4108902

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...to-s-auto-focus-blurry-why-2.html#post4108426

It would be one thing if I was in here bashing motorola and all their devices and phones, but I am not. I have used almost every incarnation of the droid. This one is hands down an awful camera.

My two previous phones were Droid 2 Global (camera was fair); Maxx HD (camera was OK to good)

You can spin it any way you like, you can compare it to other forums complaining...but the truth is the shutter speed is painfully lacking. It just is.

Yep, the shutter has lag on the Turbo's camera.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Nice seats! Why did you post a screenshot grab of a photo?

Because as I stated, that was taken with my Maxx. So I had to go onto my facebook page, take a screen shot of it with my phone, and repost it. I also have a screen grab from TV of my wife and I in those seats at the game if you need me to verify that the picture was actually taken by me, with my Maxx. But again, as I will reluctantly continue to say, just another example how amazing the photos I was able to get with my Maxx vs the garbage with the turbo.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Nope. This is essentially a person standing in front of a window, or a backlighting situation. Subject in the photo will be underexposed.

Underexposed perhaps and the color will be off because the camera is shooting for 18% gray. But in focus. It is a contrast detection based systems. So what the system wants is a clean delineation of light and dark. Think of a vector [10,255,255,10]. This is a dark to light to dark transition and easy to detect in code. With my Droid even pictures of static objects in good light with similar hard edges are out of focus.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Nice shot for a phone. Good detail even in in the shadows.

Umm, that's a screen grab of a photo of a photo as seen on a computer monitor. There are color inaccuracies, it is washed out and there are terrible noise artifacts. Just look at the Toyota logo on the boards across the ice surface.

The point was that the motion of the players was captured without blurring.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Nice shot for a phone. Good detail even in in the shadows.

This is why I have such heartache over the Turbo. I have so many photos I took with my Maxx that are amazing. Any conditions I could throw at it, Penguins games, weddings, concerts, etc. Then the Turbo comes out and its just all garbage. If it wasnt such a step backwards I would probably not notice or care. But as it stands this has to be one of the most epic steps backwards in a camera release. It makes no sense at all.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Umm, that's a screen grab of a photo of a photo as seen on a computer monitor. There are color inaccuracies, it is washed out and there are terrible noise artifacts. Just look at the Toyota logo on the boards across the ice surface.

Man, you just can't accept that the Turbo camera sucks. You are really going to criticize THAT photo but go on and on how great your Turbo photos are. You lost a lot of credibility on that last post. For a camera phone, that example is pretty damn amazing vs what you keep telling me the Turbo won't take.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
and there is the garbage I got last week from about 6 rows back at a concert with good to great lighting with my Turbo. Simply amazing.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
and there is the garbage I got last week from about 6 rows back at a concert with good to great lighting with my Turbo. Simply amazing.

Yick! That's intolerable. Can you post a couple more?

You sure there's nothing wrong with your phone? I'd take it to Verizon and see if they will exchange it.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
and that is about the same distance away, maybe taken from slightly closer, under worse lighting, with the Maxx, for comparison of the issues.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

I took the screen grab into account. But the nice dark transition imply that the camera in that phone captured and rendered hard detail. That is a difficult thing to do and get right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol