Is there a replacement camera app that makes the camera better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Camera must be kept still..... Otherwise they will get a horrible picture

Posted via the Android Central App

Understood....but I am not a robot, nor do I have steel cable reinforcements. I am holding the camera as still as humanely possible. Otherwise, how do you explain ONLY the slow moving dog being blurry but the couch, pillows, and all else NOT being blurry? I mean, its my shaking hand in this photo, in the other photo its the lights and possibly someone's head in the corner of the photo...i mean when do we run out of excuses and just say either my camera is junk, or they all are. Arent the points of cell phone cameras to capture those quick moments in life? I dont have time to set up my level to make sure it is at the proper level with NO slight movement at all, I dont have a lighting sensor to gauge the exact moment at a concert when it is safe to click away, and finally, I dont have the availability to stage the room as ask half the crowd to leave because someone in the bottom corner of my screen may throw off the shot. I cant ask my dog to stop moving so I can get a picture of her. I mean...seriously....it shouldnt be this hard to get a photo. It really shouldnt. Go back to my maxx pic of the hockey game. While we can argue that it is or isnt a nice photo, there are guys standing still, guys moving, all sorts of movement, and me behind the glass, and it still came out great. Then compare it to the concert photos I took with the Turbo.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Understood....but I am not a robot, nor do I have steel cable reinforcements. I am holding the camera as still as humanely possible.

Go back to my maxx pic of the hockey game. While we can argue that it is or isnt a nice photo, there are guys standing still, guys moving, all sorts of movement, and me behind the glass, and it still came out great. Then compare it to the concert photos I took with the Turbo.

Yep. You likely hold the Turbo the same way you held the Maxx. It should take at least the same (or better) quality pictures. Having said that, I've found if I hold the camera steady a split second after the shot, that is, until I see the animated shutter close and swipe off the screen I get the best results.

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Guys take this FWIW. I've seen a number of horrible flash photos posted from the Turbo resulting in a heavy, greenish fog that totally washes out the subject. While playing with mine tonight I got a first hand look at it - didn't matter what I shot, if it flashed, it was horrible.

I knew the phone had not been damaged and that non-flash photos were fine so I started tracking back to "what's changed". The answer was, a new, clear case. Looking closely I noticed that the flash LED's appeared a fraction further recessed in the case when compared to the previous one. Popped off the case, took a few shots, problem solved - it was reflection from the clear plastic flash ports. Replaced with the prior case & all remains fine.

If your flash pictures are wonked badly, try without a case to check out the flash's reflection.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I have adapted to holding the camera a second or so after the shutter sound but that doesn't help with subjects in motion. It's crazy that the camera cannot capture objects any better than this (unless they are still). It's my biggest complaint with this phone

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Shutter lag is so 2005. That's a problem long since solved. There's really no excuse for this on a contemporary smartphone in 2014/2015.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Guys take this FWIW. I've seen a number of horrible flash photos posted from the Turbo resulting in a heavy, greenish fog that totally washes out the subject. While playing with mine tonight I got a first hand look at it - didn't matter what I shot, if it flashed, it was horrible.

I knew the phone had not been damaged and that non-flash photos were fine so I started tracking back to "what's changed". The answer was, a new, clear case. Looking closely I noticed that the flash LED's appeared a fraction further recessed in the case when compared to the previous one. Popped off the case, took a few shots, problem solved - it was reflection from the clear plastic flash ports. Replaced with the prior case & all remains fine.

If your flash pictures are wonked badly, try without a case to check out the flash's reflection.

With that said, has anyone tried taking their case off and trying some pics? I'm interested in upgrading to the Turbo but the bad pics I've seen posted here are causing me to hesitate. Thanks for all the info good thread.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't use a case with my phone. I'm quite happy with the pics thus far. I'll play around with some random, on the spur of the moment shots this weekend and see how they come out.

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Just to put a point on my previous comment, I have experimented with about 6 different cases. The only one that produced the reflection issue on my 64G BN was the MoKo CC (clear case). The other clear Case Mate case did not. Too bad too, the MoKo is otherwise a nice case.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Heyyyy.. I'm kind a photographer type of a person. And all my phones just NEED to have a good camera. Not to mention that they need to give the best phone experience as well. Having said that I've used all the iPhones till the 5S, Note 3, HTC one M8, Xperia z2 and the z3. And here's a comparison of my current Droid Turbo with all of them.

Camera: I've managed to take good detailed still photos from all the cameras except the M8. The resolution wasn't there for post production. The droid turbo does equally well in daylight if we compare to the xperia z2 and z3. BUT YES, There's a limitation you'll face with the Droid turbo while taking 'extreme' action shots. They might come out blurry because of the low shutter speed. BUT most of the times in my experience, 'daylight' or maybe even 'evening' photos come out to be really sharp and detailed with good color balance. Low light pictures are horrible. Just as they were with the xperia and the note 3. Blurry and soft. Though xperia has some modes which 'may' help you if you're willing to tweak the settings which take a good amount of time before you take the shot. In conclusion, Turbo takes pictures of the same quality as the xperia takes and the note 3 takes. IPhone, note 4 and the s5 and s6 are more consistent and faster. Yes. There's no denying that. But the difference is only marginal (in daylight only).

As an overall phone: Yes the iPhone and the samsungs might be 'consistent' in taking decent pictures but look at what you're giving up on. Droid Turbo: One of the best screens (I love the screen after the note4) best battery life, and I love the rugged design of the phone with amazing snappy software experience. You can't get a perfect phone. You just can't.

So overall I think the Moto Droid Turbo is a winner. I've managed to take some really detailed shots which I will be happy to share if you want. Those include pictures of a moving car moving people and basic architectural compositions. Just as good as the Xperia series, the samsungsand the iPhone (in daylight minus the shutter lag which only hinders sometimes). Lowlight shots are just bad. Especially with moving subjects. For that the Samsungs and the apples are way better.

So what you're really giving up on is only 'a few' of the action shots in daylight. And lowlight photography. And I'd suggest taking burst shots in the night. One of them might come out right. That's what I do.

No phone is perfect.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
These are some of the still photography samples. Will post some of the action photographs as well.

These are untouched. Just cropped a little.

Attachments

• 10126.jpg
    10126.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 6703.jpg
    6703.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 6701.jpg
    6701.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 42

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that post, Rizwan. It's nice to have some perspective from someone who has actually tried such a wide range of phones.

In my experiences with the Turbo's camera, it is a matter of light, and the issue in particular is the margin for error for that seems ridiculously small. I have been taking action shots of my daughter playing basketball on the playground recently. They've come out great. Shots that were a blurry mess indorors, during daylight, in a gym with big windows. That's not direct sunlight, but certainly enough light to have done better with my prior Droid Maxx (which didn't come close to taking pictures as nice as the ones the Turbo takes in more ideal conditions). "Low light" in the Turbo's case isn't very low at all.

I continue to hope the fix is in a software update.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Lol....so I didnt hold my hand still...yet the only thing blurry in the photo is my moving dog? The table, couch, and pillow are fine, but my "moving hand" caused the dog blur. Amazing.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
No man I don't think this can ever get fixed :p its just the way it is. They tried to go all in with the features in this phone and for me they succeeded in every department except the camera. And I'd still rate the camera 8/10.

I understand the frustration. I do. But none of the phones I've had before did any better. I'm so sorry to say this but indoor shots have always been tricky. Even with my iPhone. Though I think the M8 did the best job as it has the quickest shutter speed out of all phone cameras I've used. But none of the others let me take a good action shot in challenging light conditions.

As the name suggests, the droid turbo is meant to be for the outdoorsy kind of people. For traveling. With their rugged design and battery life. It shows why they didn't work on their low light camera capability with this.

Its only due to the slow shutter speed that the droids camera is getting so much heat. And I agree there are better options. But still its not fair to say the camera isn't good. Its only not good in lowlight.

And I'll even say that the 21mp picture from the xperia looks more refined than the droids camera while zooming in. BUT STILL, it is good.

We can't have everything. And with the droid turbo, we nearly did.

lowrg3

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
You tell me if you need a better camera. Untouched photo.

Attachments

• 79259.jpg
    79259.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 42

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
You don't pay much attention huh? Its been discussed... At length...landscape and long distance shots are more than satisfactory. Close up or action shots are a mess, or any challenging lighting.

So I guess to answer your question...yes I, ME PERSONALLY, need a better camera. Lol, this is so strange people can't accept people have different needs, wants, and uses. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke