Making the case less slippery... gaffers tape?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
One of my big issues with the Turbo is that its so darn slippery. I'm not a case person, but it made be put one of the Diztronic cases on it which I like. Really though, I just need the back to be less slippery and I'd be fine. I'm not really a 'phone dropper' and have only dropped my last bunch of phones a handful of times so I don't need a case for dropping reasons in general past the slipperiness.

Its almost like I could just put some gaffers tape on the back to make it less slippery and then i could go back to a smaller caseless phone that I wouldn't be so nervous about slipping out of my hand. I'd almost do the gaffers tape, but at some point I'm going to want to sell the phone and don't want to get it all mucked up with sticky tape. Anyone else have any ideas to do something to the back to make it less slippery? I don't know why they didn't just do the same finish as they had on the Droid Maxx.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Adhesive is hard to get off the BN back without goo gone or a solvent. I found a few cases that are nice and improve grip, in order of preference. Of note is the second which is the lightest available, and has grippy surfaces on the side. The first, Puregear, has grippy sides as well. Both are inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4201121
Amazon.com: Motorola DROID Turbo Ballistic Nylon Case, Cimo [Wave] Premium Slim TPU Flexible Soft Case For Motorola DROID Turbo (Ballistic Nylon Only) - Clear: Cell Phones & Accessories
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4201121

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I've already got the Diztronic case on it now. It adds minimal bulk, but the phone does feel surprisingly smaller when I take it out of the case. My point is that I want no case and a less slippery back. That's why I was trying to come up with an idea for something I could put on the back to make it less slippery. I don't have the BN so that would at least be less of a concern. I do have some goo gone however. :)

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Understood. To case, or not to case. I dislike cases, and never used one. But, I have come to the realization that these newer, larger, phones are easier to drop. And, the screens, being larger, are more susceptible to breakage. Hence, I now "case." I am fond of the three I posted, with the middle one being lighter than the Diztronic. I also like the Seidio Surface, but it is as bulky as I am willing to consider. Let us know how your sticky situation works out! Truth be told, I tried it on the BN version, hence my goo gone comment. It came from experience. ;-) I also found it to be insufficient grip.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
What did you try putting on it that got gooey? I suppose at least my phone is smoother so the goo won't get stuck down in all of the nooks and crannies of the BN case.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Many of the companies that sell screen protectors also sell a film to protect the back of the phone. Most of those films are reasonably grippy. And removable. Something you might try.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Do you know any companies that sell a grippy protective film for the back of the turbo? My only reason for using a case on the turbo is because it is too slippery. If I can find something grippy to stick to the back that would solve my case problems.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't own the turbo, and haven't shopped. Zagg bodygardz, and Skinomi are popular brands. There are several others selling similar products.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda6969