My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Moto did decide to send me another phone after checking out my images. Who knows. Maybe it will increase quality, maybe for whatever reason, after years of getting decent to good pics with all my other phones, my complete and utter inability to get even a remotely usable photo under even the slightest of challenging conditions is my fault, and the camera will perform exactly the same, and I am just wasting my time setting up my phone all over again. who know. My opinion, and my opinion only, from what the camera has given me from day 1, and how i value EASY POINT AND SHOOT photos that remain usable without a 14 step setup process listed out on what I did wrong/need to do better on my shots, this ultimately makes the camera a fail as a whole for me. It was a slight step up from my MAXX in a few categories, but I love pics of concerts, sports, etc, and had always been able to get my memories right out of my pocket. The turbo killed that for me. And yes, when it was touted as a camera in where you "wont miss any of the action with this powerhouse 21mp camera with the flick of your wrist" I honestly believed that.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey, wolf_walker, I reported your pic link post. I clicked to follow the link and once I did almost immediately got a scareware pop-up telling me my phone is infected from adult sites. WTH dude?

jdfrye

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey, wolf_walker, I reported your pic link post. I clicked to follow the link and once I did almost immediately got a scareware pop-up telling me my phone is infected from adult sites. WTH dude?

Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's your phone has something redirecting to the scare ware, not his links? I don't get any redirects from his links.

Posted via the Android Central App

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Considering this is the first time it happened, I am quite careful with my phone, don't download shoddy apps, and have not downloaded a new app in well over a month, I can only assume it was the site link with a suspect pop-up.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Also, ran a check with Lookout after and it found nothing. So, had to have been a scamware pop-up (didn't have any other browser window open).

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think the true camera problem is user expectations. Some feel that if the phone camera isn't the best point-and-shoot ever made then the camera is a massive disappointment.

In the end, this is a smartphone with a camera. If it takes pretty good pics most of the time, I am happy. From what I've see, it is on par with the majority of phone cameras out there, so I don't understand the uproar.

If you want perfect pictures, go lug around an $800 DSLR. Otherwise, be happy with the convenience of a phone camera, knowing some situations will be less than ideal to capture. Or, better yet, buy the phone you think is better if it is that important to you.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I think the true camera problem is user expectations. Some feel that if the phone camera isn't the best point-and-shoot ever made then the camera is a massive disappointment.

In the end, this is a smartphone with a camera. If it takes pretty good pics most of the time, I am happy. From what I've see, it is on par with the majority of phone cameras out there, so I don't understand the uproar.

If you want perfect pictures, go lug around an $800 DSLR. Otherwise, be happy with the convenience of a phone camera, knowing some situations will be less than ideal to capture. Or, better yet, buy the phone you think is better if it is that important to you.

Please stop. User expectations are not the problem. Crap photos and a step backwards in camera quality from past moto phones, this one marketed as a flagship phone. That's the problem. Oh, you don't like your cars performance....buy a Mercedes, right?

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
No idea. I've been using them to post pics to forums for six months or so, nobody has had a problem. Whatever it is it's specific to your device or net connection. And they were mostly to PC hardware sites so someone would have had a fit by now. I wouldn't do any banking or such on that device till I figured it out if I were you.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/b...eda34d28d40cb3896e7931f2/analysis/1422550439/

Re: expectations.
They are funny things. They don't spring out of nothingness, they are set either by being given to a person (advertising, reviews or word of mouth in this case), or they are set by a thought process related to the product. Quick logic says the phone is an UP grade, it's faster, has a better screen, etc, etc, etc, it isn't illogical to assume it has an UPgraded camera VS previous/other like-use devices. And the reviews and Moto themselves talked up the camera quite a lot. I'm a little disappointed, but I expect the worst from people/things so it minimizes my ability to be so
Take my Nexus 7.2 in contrast, I didn't expect it to have a good camera (and it does not), so no surprise/disappointment at all there. It's a tablet, most of the cameras suck, reviews said it sucked, users said it sucked, sure enough, it sucks. No issue. Camera quality was not part of my purchase decision.
Expectations in a way by their very nature can't be unreasonable unless they are based on logical fallacy or incorrect data, or just plain pulled out of the realm of "wishful thinking" which is a human trait. I don't see any of that happening with people complaining about the DT camera myself. It's just sort of a so-so cell phone camera. I think in another five years or so we'll see some really good cell phone PnS cameras. In the meantime one can buy a PnS that is 3/4 the size of a cell for about half the price or less and have a much superior experience. A good thought exercise and method to limit expectations via logic, is to look at said PnS, it's price, it's size, it's weight and compare it to the same that is devoted to the camera function in an average cell phone. One can approximate the expected result that way. It's a bit of left field tech logic granted and I don't blame an average Joe or Jane for not thinking about it that way, but it's valid.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Please stop. User expectations are not the problem. Crap photos and a step backwards in camera quality from past moto phones, this one marketed as a flagship phone. That's the problem. Oh, you don't like your cars performance....buy a Mercedes, right?

If it isn't expectations, why are some happy/satisfied and some not? If EVERYONE said the camera is crud then I'd agree with you. But they don't, so I can't.

I had an original Droid RAZR Maxx, and I can tell you hands down the Turbo camera is much better in terms of capturing a quality picture in all situations. So, that wouldn't seem to support your theory that this camera is awful compared to past Moto cameras either. If that is your opinion, fine, but that also supports the expectations aspect of the argument.

And your 'buy a Mercedes' point is valid but not in the way you intended. We aren't talking about the camera on a $30 dumb phone compared to high end devices. We are talking about the camera on a high end device vs other high end devices. So, yes, if you aren't happy with the performance of this camera (BMW), go buy another (Mercedes). Simple as that.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Many people can't simply go buy another phone, they are prohibitively expensive for most folks to buy outright and carrier subsidizing locks one into a contract. There are lots of in's and out's about it but it's not as simple as putting it in a drawer and picking up another one for a large number of people. This is one of the reasons folks get so bent out of shape about stuff not working as well or how they'd like to. Suggesting they do so isn't productive.

Reports suggest, easily cited via google, that Motorola has had notoriously iffy cameras on smartphones. I could completely believe the DT camera is better than the Droid RAZR Maxx without testing the older phone for myself in light of such reports. I can say from personal experience that it is at best a side-grade from the camera on my somewhat dated Galaxy S4. Better in some areas, worse in others. I could see how someone would be very bothered by that, I like to understand the why and how but I have a more c'est la vie attitude about it since it's not a key feature to me.

quantum tao

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Nokia's solution is slow and takes forever to capture and process a picture and be ready for the next.
nokia pureview camera is awesome and their software is top notch. the camera in my nokia icon blows the turbo camera away.
so now when i'm with my daughter i have her take the pics with her ICON, while i put up with her snide remarks about my turbo.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Many people can't simply go buy another phone, they are prohibitively expensive for most folks to buy outright and carrier subsidizing locks one into a contract. There are lots of in's and out's about it but it's not as simple as putting it in a drawer and picking up another one for a large number of people. This is one of the reasons folks get so bent out of shape about stuff not working as well or how they'd like to. Suggesting they do so isn't productive.

Reports suggest, easily cited via google, that Motorola has had notoriously iffy cameras on smartphones. I could completely believe the DT camera is better than the Droid RAZR Maxx without testing the older phone for myself in light of such reports. I can say from personal experience that it is at best a side-grade from the camera on my somewhat dated Galaxy S4. Better in some areas, worse in others. I could see how someone would be very bothered by that, I like to understand the why and how but I have a more c'est la vie attitude about it since it's not a key feature to me.

Two weeks to test and return or exchange the phone. Plenty of time to test the specs. If the camera is that big of a deal to someone, they should have returned the phone.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Two weeks to test and return or exchange the phone. Plenty of time to test the specs. If the camera is that big of a deal to someone, they should have returned the phone.

Ah yes because in every instance i want to test my camera I can certainly get done in two weeks. Let's see....concert, NHL game, house league hockey game, birthday party.... Hope I didn't miss anything. Its also TONS of fun resetting and setting up phones over and over.

Expectations.... Well....when I was happy with my maxx then motos brilliant marketing campaign set out...."don't miss ANY of the action with a powerhouse 21 mp camera at the flick of a wrist" I guess that may have... May have...set some expectations.

Why isn't everyone complaining? Well again we have various people.coming from different phones. I suppose if I went from a droid 2 to the turbo, yes I'd be impressed. Much like if I went from Schlitz to Pabst i might think its the best beer on earth.

I just don't get the snark...from the defenders who like it. That's great you are satisfied with your camera. I'm not. Off color blurry shots of most anything is useless to me....just as photos of a stationary row of houses or a parked car.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I just don't get the snark...from the defenders who like it. That's great you are satisfied with your camera. I'm not.

Folks get mighty riled about their inanimate objects. I view it as a credit to the great heights our society has reached that we have that luxury.
When I'm feeling generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad