My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Probably a shutter speed defect in your phone model? Hard to imagine why it would look like this.

My replacement (yes, for anyone following the saga, my photos were bad enough that Verizon said they would replace my phone free of charge) arrived yesterday. Haven't had time to test the camera in any of the instances where photos have been a nightmare yet, so we will see. And yes, it was a HUGE pain in the *** changing phones. Motorola Migrate wasn't working, even after removing in and reinstalling it, so it ended up taking me literally all day to get my phone up and running again....which is why I love the....oh you don't like the camera, get a new phone....comments oh so much. That, or the...its a phone that has a camera, be greatful it simply works. Which never really make any sense to me

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I cant take it anymore and also have to speak up. I used to have the S4 and the Droid turbo camera is better. Not sure what the complaining is about. The S4 was supposed to have a great camera but this Turbo has a better one.

I've never had the S4, but I did have a Droid Maxx, which is hardly known for having a stellar camera. My complaints are that many of my shots are worse with the Turbo than they were with the Maxx. It's true that when I happen to capture a good quality picture it is better than a good quality Droid Maxx shot. The problem is that happns all too rarely.

In particular, pics of our daughter's instructional basketball league were better with the Maxx. Not perfect then either, but I certainly think I was within reason to expect they would be better with the Turbo.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 160975[/ATTACH]. Worse lighting conditions....taken with Maxx. So hope that helps clarify the "mystery" why some are upset. Heading back to store tomorrow to see if indeed my camera is broken. Because if not, my photos are all really, really bad.

Exactly the type of experience I've had (and just posted about) re: the turbo and the Maxx I had previously.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I think the true camera problem is user expectations. Some feel that if the phone camera isn't the best point-and-shoot ever made then the camera is a massive disappointment.

In the end, this is a smartphone with a camera. If it takes pretty good pics most of the time, I am happy. From what I've see, it is on par with the majority of phone cameras out there, so I don't understand the uproar.

If you want perfect pictures, go lug around an $800 DSLR. Otherwise, be happy with the convenience of a phone camera, knowing some situations will be less than ideal to capture. Or, better yet, buy the phone you think is better if it is that important to you.

No.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Exactly the type of experience I've had (and just posted about) re: the turbo and the Maxx I had previously.

Thank you. Exactly! There is really NO reason to expect an upgraded specs phone from the same company would be worse than the prior model. And the MAXX was the easiest shooting phone/camera I've ever used with some truly amazing shots. Award winning....no....but the examples I've posted vs the Turbo speak for themselves. And the maxx was simply point and shoot. In this and the other thread I've heard some hilarious excuses about why my photos weren't good (lighting, exposure, shaking hand, someone's head in the way, temperature outside, rotation of the earth, etc) and it really shouldn't be this much work coupled with hoping and praying to get a good shot. I really think either the software is really messed up as a whole, or a simple exposure fix/patch can make this a good camera. But up to this point I havent seen one example of a difficult shot that came out good yet. Yes, I've seen your majestic mountain ranges, plastic android figurines, and parked cars photographed very nicely. But refer to my recent concert pics to get a "challenging" shot and its outcome.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Ah yes because in every instance i want to test my camera I can certainly get done in two weeks. Let's see....concert, NHL game, house league hockey game, birthday party.... Hope I didn't miss anything. Its also TONS of fun resetting and setting up phones over and over.

Expectations.... Well....when I was happy with my maxx then motos brilliant marketing campaign set out...."don't miss ANY of the action with a powerhouse 21 mp camera at the flick of a wrist" I guess that may have... May have...set some expectations.

Why isn't everyone complaining? Well again we have various people.coming from different phones. I suppose if I went from a droid 2 to the turbo, yes I'd be impressed. Much like if I went from Schlitz to Pabst i might think its the best beer on earth.

I just don't get the snark...from the defenders who like it. That's great you are satisfied with your camera. I'm not. Off color blurry shots of most anything is useless to me....just as photos of a stationary row of houses or a parked car.

You've had this thing for how long now? I remember arguing with you about the camera back when this came out. So we're talking months here. You apparently still have your Droid Maxx, so go back to that, and sell the Turbo. If I had this much problem with a device, I would've gotten rid of it long before now. Or I would've at the very least contacted Motorola for a replacement long before now. But since you apparently have another phone that doesn't have a tradeoff for you, why waste so much time with this one?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
But up to this point I havent seen one example of a difficult shot that came out good yet. Yes, I've seen your majestic mountain ranges, plastic android figurines, and parked cars photographed very nicely. But refer to my recent concert pics to get a "challenging" shot and its outcome.

Guess you missed the photos I posted at the beginning of this thread. And others I posted of moving objects in low light that the Turbo camera captured.

BTW, please post photos taken with your replacement phone. You've had it for a day now. Or do you simply want to keep complaining?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Guess you missed the photos I posted at the beginning of this thread. And others I posted of moving objects in low light that the Turbo camera captured.

BTW, please post photos taken with your replacement phone. You've had it for a day now. Or do you simply want to keep complaining?

Yes I've had it for all of one day. Which was spent setting up the phone. I have had no opportunities to take any photos that provided any challenges. I'm sorry. I also work at my job, so again, many apologies. I'll try to sneak in a concert and NHL game after my 10 hour work shift today. Its funny tho, there are threads and threads here and in a lot of other forums about this camera and its bad performance and misleading marketing, but I guess its just me complaining.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
You've had this thing for how long now? I remember arguing with you about the camera back when this came out. So we're talking months here. You apparently still have your Droid Maxx, so go back to that, and sell the Turbo. If I had this much problem with a device, I would've gotten rid of it long before now. Or I would've at the very least contacted Motorola for a replacement long before now. But since you apparently have another phone that doesn't have a tradeoff for you, why waste so much time with this one?

Why waste so much time? Because I guess i like the phone and it's other attributes? Also because I'm hoping a fix eventually comes along for the camera? Is that allowed? Its an imaginary problem tho, right, even tho after all these months, two more current threads have popped up with people unhappy with the camera? You say you remember arguing with me about the camera X months ago.. OK...but has moto or Verizon released any suitable updates or addressed this issue yet? Again....I'm hoping. Because I do love the droid line of phones

Why waste so much time defending the camera to people who simply want a fix? What's your personal connection to moto/Verizon? You don't like the "complaining"? Skip the thread. People are allowed to be unhappy with what they purchase

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Its funny tho, there are threads and threads here and in a lot of other forums about this camera and its bad performance and misleading marketing, but I guess its just me complaining.

By my count there is a half dozen people that have complained about it. Several more that take an attitude that "it's a cell phone camera, what do you expect".

It's not just the Moto Turbo camera that people are complaining about.

Note 4 camera.JPG

Apple iphone.JPG

Galaxy S4.JPG

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Not saying I agree or disagree...but if you think only 6 people, only on this sight, are the ONLY people having issues with this camera, you are taking a limited view. Again, I am not sure why you take it so personally. YOU are satisfied with the camera and I'm happy for you. I am not, and have gotten better performance from older models of Moto phones, yet you seem to take it as a personal attack on yourself. You saw the pics I posted. They sucked. Completely unacceptable, even if we choose to use the...its a phone that happens to have a camera...argument. If that's truly the case, then, why do people spend $700 on "only a phone" when you can go get a jitterbug for $30? Am I not allowed to have increased expectations for something that is much more than...a phone with some bonus features?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not saying I agree or disagree...but if you think only 6 people, only on this sight, are the ONLY people having issues with this camera, you are taking a limited view. Again, I am not sure why you take it so personally. YOU are satisfied with the camera and I'm happy for you. I am not, and have gotten better performance from older models of Moto phones, yet you seem to take it as a personal attack on yourself. You saw the pics I posted. They sucked. Completely unacceptable, even if we choose to use the...its a phone that happens to have a camera...argument. If that's truly the case, then, why do people spend $700 on "only a phone" when you can go get a jitterbug for $30? Am I not allowed to have increased expectations for something that is much more than...a phone with some bonus features?

All we are saying is if it is THAT big of an issue, sell the damn thing. If you fell for marketing hype of 21 megapixels (which anyone who knows anything about cameras knows means little to nothing), then that is no one's fault but your own. Constantly complaining about it will get you nowhere and using that as an excuse means you are just not an informed consumer. You expected the camera to be better why? Because you expected it to improve based on marketing hype?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
All we are saying is if it is THAT big of an issue, sell the damn thing. If you fell for marketing hype of 21 megapixels (which anyone who knows anything about cameras knows means little to nothing), then that is no one's fault but your own. Constantly complaining about it will get you nowhere and using that as an excuse means you are just not an informed consumer. You expected the camera to be better why? Because you expected it to improve based on marketing hype?

No, I'm quite aware of what megapixels are. Again, comical... A company promised something, didn't deliver....and I'm the uniformed consumer. OK. Well since instead of having moto address this very real issue your only concern is me "selling the damn phone" are you offering to take it off my hands for what I paid for it? Here is a suggestion for you...since you are satisfied with your phone 100%, why not stay out of the threads than instead of telling me how wrong I am for wanting a solution for something I, as a consumer, perceive as a problem? See, that way you are fine, and I can continue, without your help or chastising, getting the issue resolved to my liking.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
And it wasn't really the mp that was misleading in the advert...it was the "never miss ANY of the action with this powerhouse camera at the flick of your wrist". The MAXX was what, 8, 10mp? And I got killer shots with it. I'm quite familiar with the fact that 80mp on a crap camera means nothing just like the super amazing deluxe display on the phone was overkill as well. Wasn't aware one needed to have a masters in photography to understand the complex interworkings of a cell phone camera and those who don't are idiots I guess

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not saying I agree or disagree...but if you think only 6 people, only on this sight, are the ONLY people having issues with this camera, you are taking a limited view.

There's only about 6 people on this site that have expressed "total camera suckage". I would guess there are a couple people on the other Turbo forums as well. People don't go on forums and continually post about how great something is, they typically go there to get solutions to problems or complain.

Again, I am not sure why you take it so personally.

As I've said, I had a Droid 2 Global, a Maxx HD and my son had a Moto X. The Turbo camera is far superior to any of those three cameras. And then here you come along and can't even take a good picture of a guitarist from 10 feet away? I know that any of my previous phones could have handled that shot and I absolutely am certain the Turbo can take that shot. So I KNOW the problem is either the person taking the picture (which is why I offered lighting and shooting advice in previous posts) or the camera hardware is defective. Your constant complaining and carping about something I KNOW works perfectly well does bother me.

YOU are satisfied with the camera and I'm happy for you. I am not, and have gotten better performance from older models of Moto phones, yet you seem to take it as a personal attack on yourself.

Your constant quoting of Moto's marketing material makes it sound like they are personally dissing you with their crappy camera.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
There's only about 6 people on this site that have expressed "total camera suckage". I would guess there are a couple people on the other Turbo forums as well. People don't go on forums and continually post about how great something is, they typically go there to get solutions to problems or complain.

As I've said, I had a Droid 2 Global, a Maxx HD and my son had a Moto X. The Turbo camera is far superior to any of those three cameras. And then here you come along and can't even take a good picture of a guitarist from 10 feet away? I know that any of my previous phones could have handled that shot and I absolutely am certain the Turbo can take that shot. So I KNOW the problem is either the person taking the picture (which is why I offered lighting and shooting advice in previous posts) or the camera hardware is defective. Your constant complaining and carping about something I KNOW works perfectly well does bother me.

Your constant quoting of Moto's marketing material makes it sound like they are personally dissing you with their crappy camera.

So you've seen my previously good photos from concerts, that I must have magically been able to take accidentally with an early model droid. Then you see the absolute rubbish I got with my Turbo, and I guess in the two weeks I switched over camera I forgot how to take pictures.

And personally dissing me....no. But taking my money based on their product that does not live up to what they promised...yes, that is upsetting. Continually blaming the consumer as some lower intellect individual who can't understabd the complexities of mp, corporate marketing, etc, is silly. You want me to believe your "amazing" photos came from the turbo with little to no work, but won't grant the same courtesy to me when I say I did nothing wrong and the photos came out like crap.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
You want me to believe your "amazing" photos came from the turbo with little to no work, but won't grant the same courtesy to me when I say I did nothing wrong and the photos came out like crap.

First off, I never said they were "amazing". I said they weren't blurry. Big difference. And they were literally point and shoot. There was more work involved in uploading them to this site than there was in actually taking the photos.

Secondly, once I saw how astoundingly bad your Turbo photos were, I suggested the camera was defective, a tacit admission that you weren't doing anything wrong. I even said in another thread that you were holding/using the Turbo in the same manner as the Maxx, so I suspected the hardware was defective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel