My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Jamielov,

Your shots so the same thing I am seeing. One shot is perfect, the next shot in the exact same lighting conditions of the same subject is crap. Very strange.

Can you check the metadata of the shots? They call it Information under the "..." menu item. Post the shutter speed, ISO, and aperture of your 3 shots.

What I see is the wide variance of the aperture and shutter speed with the aperture closing down (larger number) and the shutter speed slowing down in the blurry shots. The slowing of shutter speed explains the blurriness. I would have expected to see an increase in ISO to try to keep the shutter speed and aperture the same in both shots, but I don't. Perhaps there is a reason, but this is different than the way most cameras (phone or otherwise) handle this condition

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
For all 3, the aperture was 2.0 and ss1/40. The only difference was photo 1 ISO: 80, photo 2 ISO 125, and Photo 3 ISO 80.

Thanks. That is more like I would expect. I wonder why mine acts differently?

FWIW, I just installed an Camera FV-5 and it offers a lot more control. Not quite what a want (full manual), but a step in the right direction.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Why waste so much time? Because I guess i like the phone and it's other attributes? Also because I'm hoping a fix eventually comes along for the camera? Is that allowed? Its an imaginary problem tho, right, even tho after all these months, two more current threads have popped up with people unhappy with the camera? You say you remember arguing with me about the camera X months ago.. OK...but has moto or Verizon released any suitable updates or addressed this issue yet? Again....I'm hoping. Because I do love the droid line of phones

Why waste so much time defending the camera to people who simply want a fix? What's your personal connection to moto/Verizon? You don't like the "complaining"? Skip the thread. People are allowed to be unhappy with what they purchase

I have no personal connection to Motorola or Verizon. And there's nothing wrong with wanting a fix for the issues. But if we go by the Droid line's history of updates solving a camera issue, it's most likely not going to happen. My point was you're spending all this time and energy railing against the issue when you own a perfectly good device in the Maxx. If nothing else, switch back to the Maxx until they do fix the issue, or accept that this feature doesn't meet your expectations and live with it until they fix it.

As far as telling me to skip this thread, you could've also done the same. You don't like people saying they have no problems with the camera and have a difficult time getting bad pictures, skip this thread.

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And it wasn't really the mp that was misleading in the advert...it was the "never miss ANY of the action with this powerhouse camera at the flick of your wrist". The MAXX was what, 8, 10mp? And I got killer shots with it. I'm quite familiar with the fact that 80mp on a crap camera means nothing just like the super amazing deluxe display on the phone was overkill as well. Wasn't aware one needed to have a masters in photography to understand the complex interworkings of a cell phone camera and those who don't are idiots I guess

First, you're quoting a tagline in an advertisement. It's meant to sell devices, and sometimes they make it sound like everything is easy to accomplish. Most likely unless they say it's guaranteed that will happen, it's not legally binding. But if you don't agree, contact Verizon or Motorola and tell them the device doesn't live up to the advertising and request your money back. If people can sue Red Bull because it didn't give them wings, I'd imagine you have a case here.

Second, how will airing your disputes here help? The only ones who can possibly effect a resolution to fixing the issue is Verizon and Motorola. Anyone affected by this should be in contact with them. If no one here has been able to find a work around in a few months, it's a safe bet there isn't one to be found outside of Motorola.

wolf_walker

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
jamielov, pictures speak louder than words. And jerrykur is attacking the issue correctly (with knowledge).

Most of the rest of this is what my Grandmother would have called "gum flapping".

Ya'll enjoy, unsubscribe.

edit: one last useful piece of knowledge I'll contribute.
This is for an iphone 5, but it's indicative and you can find further info with Google, but
it shows why I dismiss cell phone camera quality overall so quickly. $18 for the camera.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-cost-what-apple-is-paying/

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The fact of the matter is, you are getting worse quality pictures than the vast majority of people here. Then, you get defensive when people say, "I'm not having that issue." Yet, you continue to B&M about an issue that isn't going to get corrected with B&M on an unofficial forum.

That said, if you take marketing speak as gospel, I feel bad for you AND any company you happen to buy a product from. Lord help you all.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
jamielov, pictures speak louder than words. And jerrykur is attacking the issue correctly (with knowledge).

Most of the rest of this is what my Grandmother would have called "gum flapping".

Ya'll enjoy, unsubscribe.

edit: one last useful piece of knowledge I'll contribute.
This is for an iphone 5, but it's indicative and you can find further info with Google, but
it shows why I dismiss cell phone camera quality overall so quickly. $18 for the camera.
Breaking down the $650 price of the iPhone | Digital Trends

Yes, pictures speak louder than words. And I've posted the pictures I've taken. Have a look

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The fact of the matter is, you are getting worse quality pictures than the vast majority of people here. Then, you get defensive when people say, "I'm not having that issue." Yet, you continue to B&M about an issue that isn't going to get corrected with B&M on an unofficial forum.

That said, if you take marketing speak as gospel, I feel bad for you AND any company you happen to buy a product from. Lord help you all.

No, I'm not defensive against people who say..."I'm not having that issue". I'm defensive over the snide dismissive.... "Oh this issue you have a problem with isn't worked out...go buy a new phone". Its silly. Updates can and sometimes do fix things. And I don't remember if it was this forum or another turbo forum where someone posted the hope they had for the shutter lag as another problematic camera was greatly improved in shutter speed after an update. So the long and short of it is its past 14 days, I don't want to return my phone, and am still hoping a fix can improve this.

Lord help you all....a little dramatic are ya?

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. Exactly! There is really NO reason to expect an upgraded specs phone from the same company would be worse than the prior model. And the MAXX was the easiest shooting phone/camera I've ever used with some truly amazing shots. Award winning....no....but the examples I've posted vs the Turbo speak for themselves. And the maxx was simply point and shoot. In this and the other thread I've heard some hilarious excuses about why my photos weren't good (lighting, exposure, shaking hand, someone's head in the way, temperature outside, rotation of the earth, etc) and it really shouldn't be this much work coupled with hoping and praying to get a good shot. I really think either the software is really messed up as a whole, or a simple exposure fix/patch can make this a good camera. But up to this point I havent seen one example of a difficult shot that came out good yet. Yes, I've seen your majestic mountain ranges, plastic android figurines, and parked cars photographed very nicely. But refer to my recent concert pics to get a "challenging" shot and its outcome.

Exactly, and it's not like your concert was auto racing. As movement goes, that's pretty tame. I mean, it's even an *acoustic* guitar!

There are so many factors that come in to play in people's oipinions on the Turbo camera. If you dig landscapes and flowers, then you'll probably like it a lot. If you like anything that is breathing, or in the shade of a tree, then not so much. If you just upgraded from a BlackBerry 9900, yeah, this camewra will look like the holy grail. If you don't care at all about the camera on your phone, then sure, you don't care as much as others do.

It would just be nice if people were more understanding of experiences that don't mirror their own. Because the camera is absolutely an issue. It absolutely does not function as well as it should. If you can avoid that issue, good for you.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Why waste so much time? Because I guess i like the phone and it's other attributes? Also because I'm hoping a fix eventually comes along for the camera? Is that allowed? Its an imaginary problem tho, right, even tho after all these months, two more current threads have popped up with people unhappy with the camera? You say you remember arguing with me about the camera X months ago.. OK...but has moto or Verizon released any suitable updates or addressed this issue yet? Again....I'm hoping. Because I do love the droid line of phones

Why waste so much time defending the camera to people who simply want a fix? What's your personal connection to moto/Verizon? You don't like the "complaining"? Skip the thread. People are allowed to be unhappy with what they purchase

Until proven otherwise, I agree that a software fix very well may fix the camera issues. The Maxx got a camera upgrade and it did noticeably improve the pics I took. Even before that the Maxx took better pics than the Turbo does, unless the circumstances are virtually perfect.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
By my count there is a half dozen people that have complained about it. Several more that take an attitude that "it's a cell phone camera, what do you expect".

It's not just the Moto Turbo camera that people are complaining about.

View attachment 161287

View attachment 161288

View attachment 161289

I'll point out again, I'm comparing the camera to another cell phone camera. One that is its immediate precdecssor from Motorola in the Droid Maxx. My expectation is reasonable that this camera should at the very least be better than that one.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
There's only about 6 people on this site that have expressed "total camera suckage". I would guess there are a couple people on the other Turbo forums as well. People don't go on forums and continually post about how great something is, they typically go there to get solutions to problems or complain.

Well, I talk about it when it comes up but I'm not going around starting threads about it. The reason being that it's not "total suckage." It's certainly that in certain situations. Situations in which I've taken better shots with older phones. For those of us who take proportionally more of that type shot, it's going to be a bigger issue. However, it takes excellent pictures in closer to ideal circumstances with bright light and little movement.

The bigger reason I'm more subdued about the issue overall is that I expect a software bump will fix it. So, I'm impatiently biding my time.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. That is more like I would expect. I wonder why mine acts differently?

FWIW, I just installed an Camera FV-5 and it offers a lot more control. Not quite what a want (full manual), but a step in the right direction.

Does it allow for adjustment of ISO and SS? I have A Better Camera, and unless I've missed it (and I've looked), I don't think I can adjust ISO manually (it's locked to the scenes).

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Does it allow for adjustment of ISO and SS? I have A Better Camera, and unless I've missed it (and I've looked), I don't think I can adjust ISO manually (it's locked to the scenes).

Lol....I'm such a dumbass, that is all too much for me to understand. Sadly I don't know the first thing about photography, which is why I yearn for a simple aim, click, decent photo. It's almost like technology is too sophisticated. This camera is so good for landscapes and sharp detail but it sacrifices motion capability. Much like I'm sure there are great motion capture cameras that sacrifice some detail. I just want something in the middle.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

There's nothing for SS, but ISO is there, however on mine it's locked on auto. In the manual it says that may happen if the app can't detect the camera's ISO settings. And so far, none of the camera apps I've tried have given me access to the ISO settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781