My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing for SS, but ISO is there, however on mine it's locked on auto. In the manual it says that may happen if the app can't detect the camera's ISO settings. And so far, none of the camera apps I've tried have given me access to the ISO settings.

Thanks! I would be happy to be able to adjust ISO and then have the camera select the SS. For the types of pics I want to be better, that might fix the issue.

Oh well.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Reports suggest, easily cited via google, that Motorola has had notoriously iffy cameras on smartphones.

Man I can attest to that. I am on my third Moto smartphone and the cameras have gone from just plain bad to sub-par to pretty darned average. The issue for me is the lack of consistency. I can take some really nice shots without trying and then get awful ones with the same settings. Geez but my trusty RAZR V9 took some really nice outdoor shots - it really did. And they were consistent. Now I never know if I'm going to get caviar or crap when I whip out my phone to take a shot of my pup at the dog park. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is annoying.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Man I can attest to that. I am on my third Moto smartphone and the cameras have gone from just plain bad to sub-par to pretty darned average. The issue for me is the lack of consistency. I can take some really nice shots without trying and then get awful ones with the same settings. Geez but my trusty RAZR V9 took some really nice outdoor shots - it really did. And they were consistent. Now I never know if I'm going to get caviar or crap when I whip out my phone to take a shot of my pup at the dog park. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it is annoying.

I feel the same

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I would be happy to be able to adjust ISO and then have the camera select the SS. For the types of pics I want to be better, that might fix the issue.

Oh well.

I'm not sure if the cameras in these phones can either be adjusted or some come locked down. I know my previous Samsung and HTC phones allowed you to change the ISO setting, but I've never seen a setting for shutter speed. I get what Google and Motorola are trying to do by offering a simple camera UI, but I wish they'd include an advanced option to unlock things like ISO, exposure, white balance, resolution, focus metering, etc. If you don't want to get into that, stay with the simple mode. If you do want that much control, switch to advance mode. Seems like a some idea.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what its called doing this, but haa anyone seen the download version on a developer page for the moto+ camera. It seems to REALLY improve on the speed

Last edited:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sire what its called doing this, but have seen the download version on a developer page for the moto+ camera. It seems to REALLY improve on the speed

That was linked by someone in another thread from I believe xda. It does have a quicker shutter, the only issue is it still doesn't let you play around with more in depth settings. IIRC that app is for another model Motorola phone, I think maybe a non US one, but it does work well for shortening the shutter time.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So far Camera FV-5 seems better. It does seem to underexpose shots, but there is exposure compensation so you can adjust the exposure up a bit. Also it adds a separate shutter release button so you can change focus point for better compositions. I also like the playback button. My keeper rate has gone up a bit, but still I am not happy with the camera on my Droid Turbo. I don't foresee that I will be able to quite carrying my other cameras any soon.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Also it adds a separate shutter release button so you can change focus point for better compositions.

FWIW, you can do that with the stock camera as well - open the settings and turn on the "control focus and exposure" setting, which puts a green focus/white balance circle on the display you can drag around. You can tap anywhere to take the photo, so you have a shutter control wherever you want to tap. And the volume buttons can also be used as shutter buttons if you don't want to tap the screen.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, you can do that with the stock camera as well - open the settings and turn on the "control focus and exposure" setting, which puts a green focus/white balance circle on the display you can drag around.

Now, now, for some posters, that is asking too much.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's a camera phone not a camera. You want better motion pictures get a real camera...

Posted via the Android Central App

Or an iPhone or a galaxy or a note or an lg G3.

That's the issue - you're paying the same price for a phone as others that can get motion shots like that.

Though maybe if you want to buy him a real camera I'm sure he'd love it...

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Now, now, for some posters, that is asking too much.

Sort of like how admitting this camera has flaws and under performs is also too much? You are a funny dude. You start an entire thread to "prove" how amazing this camera is, how "impossible" it is to get a bad shot, and when people disagree you ridicule them.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
It's a camera phone not a camera. You want better motion pictures get a real camera...

Posted via the Android Central App

Or simply hope that moto can provide a fix since their past cameras were able to capture motion? Dear god, again, the snark on here. Buy an $800 camera phone...how DARE you expect decent pictures, you must be insane! Go buy a camera! You don't like the speed of the internet browser? Go buy a laptop! Seems I'd have to carry all sorts of stuff around if I dare vocalize any unhappiness on here, huh?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Sort of like how admitting this camera has flaws and under performs is also too much? You are a funny dude. You start an entire thread to "prove" how amazing this camera is, how "impossible" it is to get a bad shot, and when people disagree you ridicule them.

Probably the third or fourth time you've described me as calling the Turbo camera "amazing". I've never said that. Please give the group links to those posts where I've said that, or else quit misrepresenting what I've said.

Neither have I said it's impossible to get a bad shot. In fact, I've said the shutter is slow and that objects in motion cause problems for the camera. Same request for links applies.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Probably the third or fourth time you've described me as calling the Turbo camera "amazing". I've never said that. Please give the group links to those posts where I've said that, or else quit misrepresenting what I've said.

Neither have I said it's impossible to get a bad shot. In fact, I've said the shutter is slow and that objects in motion cause problems for the camera. Same request for links applies.

Then why start a thread explaining how you " tried so hard" to get a bad picture and just simply couldn't. I know it was such an effort for me to stage my faked blurry shots that took me all of 4 seconds to get. Again, its the snide snark out of the post that gets annoying. "Maybe its too much effort for some people", " go buy a new camera" etc. Again, asking for a camera that adequately takes useable pictures of moving objects... Consistently.... Isn't asking for a gold played dslr built in $4000 camera for $30. Its asking for a working part of a phone that has been a HUGE part of phones for how long now? 13 years? 11 years? They aren't called camera phones simply because its a cool name. Its a part of the phone people want. Good grief. Anytime anyone has anything to say even remotely negative about the camera you are ready to chime in. I've given you credit. If you have a desire to take a picture of a nonmoving object you will get a stunning picture. Most everything else is going to be a problem. So, one can ignore it, or talk about it until hopefully its adjusted.

And before you tell me it doesn't matter if we talk about it here or not, because its simply a forum that moto won't see, then why do the soak test brigade come out in full force anytime lollipop is mentioned? I guess its only spies looking out for that and nothing else.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If you have a desire to take a picture of a nonmoving object you will get a stunning picture. Most everything else is going to be a problem. So, one can ignore it, or talk about it until hopefully its adjusted.

So what are you going to say if people post good quality pictures of moving non-blurry objects?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
So what are you going to say if people post good quality pictures of moving non-blurry objects?

I'm going to say great job. I don't take it as a personal attack the way you or a few others continue to do. But the fact is that's more of an abnormality than the norm, otherwise you wouldn't have needed to start a thread "proving" how hard it was for you to get a blurry photo. Otherwise, wouldn't this thread be redundant? Apparently you needed to "prove" to some group of people how you can get good photos, so surely there must be a decent to large group of people you are addressing? Or was it just for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.