02-04-2015 01:51 PM
106 123 ...
tools
    Some people aren't happy with the photos from their Turbo camera. I've been called a Turbo camera apologist. I think the camera is pretty good, certainly better than any phone camera I've used before (Droid2Global, Maxx HD, Moto X). The problem seems to be low light situations and movement. So I devised a little test with a lighted party ball.

First photo shows the setup. The party ball is on the floor of my basement rec room, lights all the way up. This shot was taken so you can see the setup.

Link is a short video of the party ball in action. Click on the link to view.

Third photo is the Droid Turbo camera on auto-focus, point and shoot. All lights are off in the room. Party ball is rotating.

I guess I must have gotten a good camera.

My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo-img_20150127_212646538-1-.jpg

CLICK ON LINK:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxq...ew?usp=sharing

My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo-img_20150127_212515510-1-.jpg
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-27-2015 10:08 PM
    I cant take it anymore and also have to speak up. I used to have the S4 and the Droid turbo camera is better. Not sure what the complaining is about. The S4 was supposed to have a great camera but this Turbo has a better one.
    01-27-2015 11:06 PM
    My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo-img_20150117_211344603.jpg

This is what the complaining is about. Taken last weekend in good light. Unsure if I got a bad camera or some batches of the phone got a bad camera, but if you are unsure maybe that will clear it up for you?
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-28-2015 08:48 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150117_211344603.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	420.2 KB 
ID:	160974

This is what the complaining is about. Taken last weekend in good light. Unsure if I got a bad camera or some batches of the phone got a bad camera, but if you are unsure maybe that will clear it up for you?
    Looks like a shaky hand and possible errant focus (that person's head in front of you messing with the focus) to me. Granted, using the digital zoom won't produce quality photos, but this looks to be the culprit of something else.
    01-28-2015 08:52 AM
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo-img_20141005_215858.jpg60975[/ATTACH]. Worse lighting conditions....taken with Maxx. So hope that helps clarify the "mystery" why some are upset. Heading back to store tomorrow to see if indeed my camera is broken. Because if not, my photos are all really, really bad.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-28-2015 08:54 AM
    My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo-20150117_211302.jpg

OK, but why did ever single attempt that night come out like this? I am sadly sorry i deleted the worse ones because these were actually the best.
    01-28-2015 08:56 AM
    My Latest Attempt to Get a Bad Photo with the Turbo-img_20150120_223052782.jpg

Here is my dog. No "shaky hand" or anyone in my way. Good light. More crap
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-28-2015 09:01 AM
    Heading back to store tomorrow to see if indeed my camera is broken.
    I'm very interested to hear what they say.
    01-28-2015 11:09 AM
    This is normal for the turbo. Slightest movement is blurred.

Name:	IMG_20150120_223052782.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	600.5 KB 
ID:	160977

Here is my dog. No "shaky hand" or anyone in my way. Good light. More crap
    01-28-2015 11:41 AM
    Is that so? What about my non-blurred photo of a rotating party ball in a low light situation?

Name:	IMG_20150127_212515510[1].jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	299.8 KB 
ID:	160956
    01-28-2015 11:49 AM
    Been my experience as well. When they set up the camera parameters, they opted for more exposure time (more blur/streaks) and less ISO(more noise) for a given light condition. I'm not sure if aperture is even adjustable on these little no-lens things. Great well lit/landscape pics, so-so dark or dim and moving pics.
    I hope they adjust it a bit at some point, or give the user the option to, though frankly a cell phone cam to me is a point and shoot,
    I don't really want to have to jerk around trying to adjust things the way I do with an SLR.

I walked around with an S4 in one hand and the turbo in the other side by side taking photos when I first got the DT.
    The DT takes nicer photos, when it takes nicer photos. The S4 was much more capable at low light/in motion.
    This really isn't a knock against the DT camera per se but rather it's software (unless the software is covering for a hardware problem).
    And by software I do not mean the camera app, it's deeper than that.
    A human being decided at some point that if light is X then exposure time will be Y all throughout the light scale. It's almost like they programed it expecting it to have OIS. One could up the ISO and lower the exposure time and have a better chance of "freezing" something in motion or compensating for handshake which is more and more of an issue with distance, but the tradeoff is "noise" in photos which would get an equal amount of complaints I imagine.
    I have no idea which is preferable or if the sensor/lens can do better, this is just what I see happening as a (very) little bit of a shutterbug.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-28-2015 12:08 PM
    Is that so? What about my non-blurred photo of a rotating party ball in a low light situation?

Blurry and noisy. Not your fault.
    01-28-2015 12:09 PM
    Here is an example that required me to do nothing but turn to my left slightly.
    The dark walls of this 70 year old house are a great torture test for cameras,
    the overall ambient light level is eye-accurate assuming your monitor is reasonably calibrated, but it's not
    bright in here. There is enough light from the windows to create shadows however.

Pic 1, note the lack of focus on anything, tree, wall, fireplace, stockings, etc.
    And the excessive noise.

Pic 2, note the non-super-fast-movement of the small dog laying his head back down after I called his name
    to get him to raise it up. Blur, also note the excessive noise.

Both these should be clickable to view full size unedited images if one wanted though I have stripped the exif data
    since it had my location in it. Both were ISO 1600 (noise) Exposure 1/15 (slow) which is less than ideal.
    If you google around you'll find some charts showing ideal relationships between ISO and Exposure, and
    those aren't it.

01-28-2015 12:45 PM
    And here is the DT doing well, ISO 60 Exposure 1/935.

01-28-2015 12:53 PM
    Blurry and noisy. Not your fault.
    Well, yeah, it's going to have noise, it was shot in a completely darkened room. As to the blur, the globe is rotating at perhaps 50 rpm yet the circular lighted holes are well defined, reflections of the circular lights on the base of the device can clearly be seen and you can see texture in the carpeting.

I see that the ISO was set at 1,000 and the exposure was at 1/17 sec.
    01-28-2015 01:12 PM

Sorry but after years of motos and years of moto camera experience. I don't believe that the photo that you posted is of a moving target.

Posted via the Android Central App
    01-28-2015 01:22 PM
    Been my experience as well. When they set up the camera parameters, they opted for more exposure time (more blur/streaks) and less ISO(more noise) for a given light condition.
    Actually lesser ISO numbers mean less noise. I think you've identified the problem. The software opts for longer exposure time over higher ISO. Apparently they've decided that they'd rather have less noise in the photo than less blur. That's the tradeoff.

I'm not sure if aperture is even adjustable on these little no-lens things. Great well lit/landscape pics, so-so dark or dim and moving pics.
    I hope they adjust it a bit at some point, or give the user the option to, though frankly a cell phone cam to me is a point and shoot,
    I don't really want to have to jerk around trying to adjust things the way I do with an SLR.
    No, the aperture is not adjustable. If they don't address this exposure/ISO ratio in software updates, the alternative is to go to a third party app and set the ISO at say, 400 or 600 for decently lit scenes to cut down on the blur and let the camera pick the exposure time.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-28-2015 01:32 PM
    Sorry but after years of motos and years of moto camera experience. I don't believe that the photo that you posted is of a moving target.

Yeah, whatever... I'm a lying shill for Motorola.

If you don't like the rotating party ball, you can look at a rolling soccer ball. Or did I fake these photos too?
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...ml#post4108426
    01-28-2015 01:42 PM
    I may very well have the iso/noise backwards.

Having to manually adjust is a non-starter in my book, and I suspect to most folks. Photography wasn't especially easy when manual was all there was, especially with film. I have a nice Nikon DSLR for that (which also has a great auto mode and scene selection pre-sets). In 2014 there shouldn't be any more mystery to a Point N Shoots programing. I wouldn't return the DT over the camera since I have others and most of what I take with it are BS pics of labels and part numbers and parts to remember how to reassemble something and so forth and stuff that will be cropped and compressed online anyway, but every single time I've tried to use it on people at an event or the dogs or anything that wasn't a very well prepped/lit or still shot, it sucked. A lot. I had to call my mother in law in with her Iphone 6+ at Thanksgiving to get pics of her daughter and three friends in the kitchen cooking since they were not holding perfectly still, and that was a bit embarrassing. I can't speak further as to the ip6 camera, but she got the shots I wanted but my DT wouldn't do, same time, same place, same room, same subjects, and she's way less of a shutterbug than I am. Point and click. I don't even take the thing out for such anymore.
    Great for impromptu scenery though.
    quantum tao and KPMcClave like this.
    01-28-2015 01:49 PM
    These camera's won't ever perform great in low light without bigger sensors and OIS. We don't need 21MP, we need larger pixels and optical image stabilization.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...ne-camera.html
    KPMcClave and jamielov like this.
    01-28-2015 02:50 PM
    Moto did decide to send me another phone after checking out my images. Who knows. Maybe it will increase quality, maybe for whatever reason, after years of getting decent to good pics with all my other phones, my complete and utter inability to get even a remotely usable photo under even the slightest of challenging conditions is my fault, and the camera will perform exactly the same, and I am just wasting my time setting up my phone all over again. who know. My opinion, and my opinion only, from what the camera has given me from day 1, and how i value EASY POINT AND SHOOT photos that remain usable without a 14 step setup process listed out on what I did wrong/need to do better on my shots, this ultimately makes the camera a fail as a whole for me. It was a slight step up from my MAXX in a few categories, but I love pics of concerts, sports, etc, and had always been able to get my memories right out of my pocket. The turbo killed that for me. And yes, when it was touted as a camera in where you "wont miss any of the action with this powerhouse 21mp camera with the flick of your wrist" I honestly believed that.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    01-28-2015 03:20 PM
    These camera's won't ever perform great in low light without bigger sensors and OIS. We don't need 21MP, we need larger pixels and optical image stabilization.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...ne-camera.html
    Hey... someone should do this and call it... Ultra pixels...or something...😏

Posted via the Turbo
    01-28-2015 03:56 PM
    Hey, wolf_walker, I reported your pic link post. I clicked to follow the link and once I did almost immediately got a scareware pop-up telling me my phone is infected from adult sites. WTH dude?
    ajc312 likes this.
    01-28-2015 10:37 PM
    Hey, wolf_walker, I reported your pic link post. I clicked to follow the link and once I did almost immediately got a scareware pop-up telling me my phone is infected from adult sites. WTH dude?
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's your phone has something redirecting to the scare ware, not his links? I don't get any redirects from his links.

01-29-2015 12:28 AM
    postimg.org is clean and common far as I know, most likely something you already have I'm afraid.
    01-29-2015 12:38 AM
106 123 ...