thinnest case available?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
i tried to find a website for j&d but couldn't.

Yea, I saw. I was just comparing that against their "Smooth coating on high quality polycarbonate". I suppose it can still be smooth and grippy at the same time. I'm assuming it'll be similar to the Diztronic feel.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Yea, I saw. I was just comparing that against their "Smooth coating on high quality polycarbonate". I suppose it can still be smooth and grippy at the same time. I'm assuming it'll be similar to the Diztronic feel.

Anyone with the ballistic nylon gonna give this a try?

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I ordered the black one and will give it a try on the BN64. I will report back tomorrow. Incidentally, this is exactly the kind of case I wanted in the first place.

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Does the J&D case give any protection to the screen? Looks like it does not extend past the screen. With ballistic nylon not sure the phone needs anything to protect just the back.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
J&D case does NOT fit the BN Turbo. Moreover, it only protects the back. And, as Ping Man correctly states, it seems silly to only protect the back since the back is already durable and scratch resistant. PM me if you want my J&D case for the cost of shipping. Might take a few days.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
J&D case does NOT fit the BN Turbo. Moreover, it only protects the back. And, as Ping Man correctly states, it seems silly to only protect the back since the back is already durable and scratch resistant. PM me if you want my J&D case for the cost of shipping. Might take a few days.
That sucks big time. At least we know, thanks for being the guinea pig.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

My reason for getting the case though is because the phone is so darn slippery. I'm not as worried about protecting the back.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My reason for getting the case though is because the phone is so darn slippery. I'm not as worried about protecting the back.
Me too, and most attractive cases for this phone are slippery too. I have the tudia and its slippery. Sounds like the Diztronic is made from the same material. Incipio needs to make a feather case for this phone. Even if they do, they will probably not make one for the BN.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Me too, and most attractive cases for this phone are slippery too. I have the tudia and its slippery. Sounds like the Diztronic is made from the same material. Incipio needs to make a feather case for this phone. Even if they do, they will probably not make one for the BN.

Although... the Incipio feather case for the Droid Maxx weighs 18g and the J&D for the Turbo is only 15. I guess I'll know how nice it is tomorrow when it arrives.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Although... the Incipio feather case for the Droid Maxx weighs 18g and the J&D for the Turbo is only 15. I guess I'll know how nice it is tomorrow when it arrives.
True but it has been established that it does not fit the Ballistic Nylon version, which I have. Also, thinness is great but I want grip as well.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
J&D has the soft touch plastic surface. It is not grippy. The best I have found for thin cases is the Bear Motion shell I had for the Moto X. It felt like a sandpaper material. My favorite by far. Shame they won't make one for the Turbo.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
My blue J&D arrived today. The color is nice. Its impressively thin, much more so than the Diztronic if that's possible. It fits really well and is just barely larger than the phone. As far as grippiness, I'd put it between the stock phone back and the Diztronic. You can tell there is a little rubbery feel to it, but not a grippy rubber as dcallan said. I don't know why someone can't make a grippy cause this size.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
As I've stated many times, I prefer to carry my phones sans-case (aka nekkid). However, If the time comes and my Tempered Glass Screen Protector does not protect my phone and the glass breaks, then I will cave in and put a case on it for additional protection upon receiving my one time free replacement from Verizon.

In preparation for this possibility, I've purchased the larger Seidio Clip holder which I had read would accommodate many of the thinner cases out there, and I've bought the Diztronic case as well as the Cimo to test. The Cimo was thin enough to fit into the holster and clip in with confidence. The Diztronic was not. It did "fit" into the case, but the clip was obviously under stress, and I would not be comfortable carrying the phone with that combination. I also felt that the Cimo was more comfortable in the hand than the Diztronic. Although the Diztronic is a very well made case, and not "thick" per se, it seemed to add just enough additional bulk to make it uncomfortable in my hand. Admittedly, I'm a small guy -- 5-5, 150 lbs, so the BN Turbo is already stretching the limits of what feels comfortable for me.

So, while I continue to carry sans-case with the smaller Seidio clip holster, I have a backup solution if I ever go that route using the large holster and Cimo (for now).

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Based on all the comments in this thread, I purchased the J&D case on Amazon. I am very happy with it. I have the Tudio and Cimo clear cases, which are fine, but not as elegant, thin or light as the J&D. IMO, its the best minimalist case, it follows the subtle curve lines on the DT exactly, has a silky light grip. Yes I know it offers minimal protection, but I am not looking for that, I would run naked except I don't want the daily scratches and mars to build up on my phone back. If you have the red DT, try the red J&D, its a wine red color, not "clown red", and will compliment your phone.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I just keep my phone in a slip case. The droid turbo is water resistant and comes with free screen replacement for the first year. That is good enough for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I just keep my phone in a slip case. The droid turbo is water resistant and comes with free screen replacement for the first year. That is good enough for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

i believe the free screen replacement is for 2 years not 1.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
After having the J&D case for a few days now I overall really like it. It could be a little grippier, but its good enough that I've never had a concern that the phone might slip out of my hand like it does with the naked phone. Its also significantly smaller than the Diztronic case. Its certainly not going to be as great for protecting the phone, but my goal was just to make me not drop it which this does successfully and only adds minimal bulk. I got the blue color which is pretty nice as well.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Just received my PureGear slim clear/clear case. Purchased it on Amazon here.

The PureGear fits my Turbo BN perfectly. I am quite pleased with all aspects of this case. The precision cuts for the camera/flash/sensor/speakers on the rear of the case are perfect. As are the cutouts for the headphones jack and charging port. The aesthetics of my BN finish are not covered which is one of the main reasons I wanted to give this case a try. The PureGear puts my BN backing on display nicely.

Now if I could just figure out how to remove the Verizon logo from the BN back.. it appears to be similar to an iron-on patch or whatnot. I've noticed some Turbo BN phones do not even have the VZW logo. Would be wonderful if someone has removed this and take a few moments to explain the process to me!

From my experience with cases for past phones, this is extremely thin and lightweight. It doesn't appear to add much bulk, if any. With eyes closed, I wouldn't even realize a case was on my Turbo except for the grippy plastic feeling. A major bonus for me as the Turbo is pushing the limits of my female hands when it's naked, let alone in a case.

As for slipperiness, which I know is an issue most have with the clear cases... check out the picture below. I tried to take a picture of the back of my hand to emphasize the angle the phone is at, but I about dropped my phone, lol. Suffice it to say, in this picture, the phone in the PureGear case is resting on my palm.. no fingers are gripping it nor is a corner resting on my palm.. absolutely no support is provided to the phone/case combo. My hand is at about a 85 degree angle and the case is not slipping. Needless to say, I am pleased with the no-slip-grip it seems to have. Granted, if you put this on a slick surface, like a book, binder or arm of the couch.. then yes, it will glide right off. To me however, it is the grip in hand that counts and so far it's got it where it counts. lol

Only issue I have noticed is it is rather difficult to remove once it's on the phone. This may ease over time and use. It is also a comfort knowing that it is on my phone snug and won't slip off on a corner like some other cases for the Turbo BN are known to do. Overall, I deduct only 1/2 a star for this as I do appreciate it.. until it comes time to remove the case.

Since I am a case fanatic, I will certainly be ordering a few others so I can swap them out depending on my mood (actually eyeballing the clear/black option from PureGear right now). But the PureGear clear/clear will remain in my arsenal and for now will serve as permanent case. Personally, I give it 4.5 stars (reduced due to the slight difficulty of removing it).

IMG_1063.jpgIMG_1064.jpgIMG_1065.jpgIMG_1066.jpgIMG_1067.jpgIMG_1068.jpgIMG_1069.jpg

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
KA1OTE, thanks for the review. Nice write up.
I could be wrong, but I think that the 64 GB does not have the Verizon logo on it whereas the 32GB does.