thinnest case available?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Don't spend $30,000 on a second car. The red case? Go ahead and splurge. You don't need a second car. Moreover, not one that costs $30,000.

Signed,

Your Mom
Get the car. Especially if it's a cool car.

Signed,

That guy your Mom doesn't like you hanging around with.

J/K

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Hey gang. I took a little chance and ordered a MGF back plate for my Turbo on eBay. It was a genuine product with the LEDs for the flash built it. Came from somewhere in China. Took about a week to get here. Turns out to be a legit OEM replacement part. As a tech savvy engineer (lots of electronic builds), and a guitar player, I happened to have a plethora of guitar picks with with to attack the BN back of my dear Turbo. For reference, Fender mediums in yellow worked the best. Not my favorite for my guitars. But, I digress. It took all of 5 minutes. Pop, the BN was off and the new one on. Everything works just dandy. Now I have a 64 GB Turbo with black MGF backing wearing a JD slim case. It actually makes a noticeable difference in size and weight. The phone and JD case are about the same thickness as the BN alone. Luckily, I can put it back to stock just as quickly, if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

charklos

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey gang. I took a little chance and ordered a MGF back plate for my Turbo on eBay. It was a genuine product with the LEDs for the flash built it. Came from somewhere in China. Took about a week to get here. Turns out to be a legit OEM replacement part. As a tech savvy engineer (lots of electronic builds), and a guitar player, I happened to have a plethora of guitar picks with with to attack the BN back of my dear Turbo. For reference, Fender mediums in yellow worked the best. Not my favorite for my guitars. But, I digress. It took all of 5 minutes. Pop, the BN was off and the new one on. Everything works just dandy. Now I have a 64 GB Turbo with black MGF backing wearing a JD slim case. It actually makes a noticeable difference in size and weight. The phone and JD case are about the same thickness as the BN alone. Luckily, I can put it back to stock just as quickly, if needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any issues? I think I wanna do it too!

Posted Turbo fast from my Droid Turbo 64gb Emp-Ed

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Get the car. Especially if it's a cool car.

Signed,

That guy your Mom doesn't like you hanging around with.

J/K

How can you be kidding? I was I'm for service on my 2012 Acura TSX and they gave me a loaner 2015 Acura TLX. I reallllllllyyyyyy want to come home with a second car that costs $45K lol.

...I'm a car addict. I admit it. Just as I am a phone addict. The first step to curing myself is admitting I have a problem. However, admitting also leads to me buying new toys because I figure "hey, I've got a problem mind as well embrace it!".

...okay I'm done.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Any issues? I think I wanna do it too!

Posted Turbo fast from my Droid Turbo 64gb Emp-Ed
So far so good. It charged overnight fine. Will try the wireless charger at work.

Update: works great on TYLT wireless charger at work and in the car. I'm sold. Nice having it thinner and lighter. The BN cases added a lot of weight. Now, are there alternatives to the J&D case? Maybe a little more protection, but the same shell design?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
As I've stated many times, I prefer to carry my phones sans-case (aka nekkid). However, If the time comes and my Tempered Glass Screen Protector does not protect my phone and the glass breaks, then I will cave in and put a case on it for additional protection upon receiving my one time free replacement from Verizon.

In preparation for this possibility, I've purchased the larger Seidio Clip holder which I had read would accommodate many of the thinner cases out there, and I've bought the Diztronic case as well as the Cimo to test. The Cimo was thin enough to fit into the holster and clip in with confidence. The Diztronic was not. It did "fit" into the case, but the clip was obviously under stress, and I would not be comfortable carrying the phone with that combination. I also felt that the Cimo was more comfortable in the hand than the Diztronic. Although the Diztronic is a very well made case, and not "thick" per se, it seemed to add just enough additional bulk to make it uncomfortable in my hand. Admittedly, I'm a small guy -- 5-5, 150 lbs, so the BN Turbo is already stretching the limits of what feels comfortable for me.

So, while I continue to carry sans-case with the smaller Seidio clip holster, I have a backup solution if I ever go that route using the large holster and Cimo (for now).

Is this still working OK for you. I use the Verizon Combo Belt Clip Combo with Kickstand, simply to get the belt holster. Am I correct in reading that I could use my BL Turbo naked with the small Seidio Clip/Belt Holster?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i hate to report that my second J&D case after 2 days has started to peel on the side from regular use.

i hope that no one else is having this issue but it seems like that i am the only one.

2 cases / both peeling in less than 2 weeks and 1 of them in 2 days!

looks like i will have to go with the diztronic.

IMG_20150228_231319851.jpg

Last edited:

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Is this still working OK for you. I use the Verizon Combo Belt Clip Combo with Kickstand, simply to get the belt holster. Am I correct in reading that I could use my BL Turbo naked with the small Seidio Clip/Belt Holster?
Yep, this is still my daily carry option: the Seido Spring Clip holster which will fit both versions of the naked Droid Turbo. It's very reliable, with no incidences of the phone popping out unintentionally, and an easy insert and removal experience.

Bob Maida

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Been using the OtterBox Commuter( fairly thin) since the end of October for my turbo 64 with no screen protector ....heavy use nary a scratch on the screen... Also dropped it on pavement and concrete a number of times with no damage

Posted via the Android Central App

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
I have the red with no peeling, but I am kind of OCD with phone case. Do you normally put phone face down, use clip in car, or hand has rings in contact with case...just wondering...seems your usage needs something with soft bumper around frame...thanks for input on your findings.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the red with no peeling, but I am kind of OCD with phone case. Do you normally put phone face down, use clip in car, or hand has rings in contact with case...just wondering...seems your usage needs something with soft bumper around frame...thanks for input on your findings.

i use the phone "normally" with no abuse.

no clip in the car, no rings, phone always up, etc..

i am glad no one else is having issues as this is the 2nd time for me.

just strange it has only happened to me.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Did you order from the supplier, or directly from the OEM? It's possible there was a bad batch from whatever distributor yours came from.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
so i originally had the diztronic but returned it because i really liked the J&D case but with my issues with the J&D case, i decided to go back to the diztronic and had to order a new one since i returned the original diztronic i had.

i received the charcoal grey case today and it is like a dark grey.

i could have sworn the original one i had before was a light grey even though it was called charcoal grey.

am i color blind or maybe i just don't remember?

anyone else have the charcoal grey diztronic and is it lighter or darker?

please post a pic if you can.

thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay