WeatherBug Battery Drain

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
This is the main screen that I use. It shows me everything I need to know in a glance. There are many other screens and a bunch of widgets, although I don't use them. I have no affiliation with this company or the developer. It's simply the best weather app I've ever used, so I like to recommend the product.

Elecont Weather, USA Radar, Alerts, Barometer, Earthquakes with widget for Android

2015-02-06%2013.10.36_zpshjxykf2i.png

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
No problem with WB. I have used it for years. I like many of the other weather apps, but the main reason that I use WB is because there is a WB station at our local school. The next closest weather station is 20 miles away. I have always found WB to be reliable and accurate.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded Weather Underground, and I like it a lot. Smooth UI, all the features I like, and there is a crowd source station literally in my neighborhood! The widget options are so-so, and the lack of being able to keep track of other locations stinks. Otherwise, liking it a lot!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
No problem with WB. I have used it for years. I like many of the other weather apps, but the main reason that I use WB is because there is a WB station at our local school. The next closest weather station is 20 miles away. I have always found WB to be reliable and accurate.

WB worked great for me too for years. But, with the last update, the battery drain (even with our massive batteries) is unacceptable. The fact that the company sent me a couple 'no duh' fix attempts and then ignored me isn't ideal either. If they fix the bug, maybe I'll revisit them down the road.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
This is the main screen that I use. It shows me everything I need to know in a glance. There are many other screens and a bunch of widgets, although I don't use them. I have no affiliation with this company or the developer. It's simply the best weather app I've ever used, so I like to recommend the product.

Elecont Weather, USA Radar, Alerts, Barometer, Earthquakes with widget for Android

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r267/this_is_nascar/2015-02-06 13.10.36_zpshjxykf2i.png

Its cool that you like it, but my point is with so many free weather apps/sources out there, no reason to throw money at one for an extra feature or two (or to just get rid of ads), IMO.

Ch4dders

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I switched to weather underground recently as well and am enjoying it immensely. WB never gave me issues but I was using WB premium.

Posted from 64GB BN Droid Turbo

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Its cool that you like it, but my point is with so many free weather apps/sources out there, no reason to throw money at one for an extra feature or two (or to just get rid of ads), IMO.

I understand. To each his own. I'm just throwing out suggestions, based on a long time of research that I did. Good luck in whatever you choose.

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I should also say, regarding Weather Bug, that I do not have my location on, so it is not constantly looking for different weather stations during my day-to-day activities. The app doesn't even show up in my battery usage.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have been an avid user of Weatherbug Elite for years, over multiple phones. No issues with WB or WBE being battery hogs on any of said previous phones. Nor am I witnessing any major drains on my Turbo BN.

After reading through this thread, I think the major thing to point out here is there are two WB apps: Weatherbug and Weatherbug Elite. When I switched last week from my Razr Maxx to my new Turbo BN I about died when I read that Weatherbug was no longer going to be supported/updated. It wasn't transferred over to my Turbo with all of my other GooglePlay apps.
However, since I had it before, it was accessible in my GP settings and is now safely residing on my Turbo BN, where it belongs.

Most of those reporting issues here are using the WB app, not the Elite (paid) version. I can only wonder what differences there are between the two. One can only guess as WB Elite is no longer available on GP, nor can you upgrade to it from the basic WB (free) app. WB (free) is the only version that will continue to receive updates/support. I, as a WBE user, did not receive a recent update which may be why my app is still running as expected.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Right, weatherbug stopped updating the old elite app two or so years ago, and pulled it from active sale on the play store. You can only install it if you bought it when it was still for sale.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I have been an avid user of Weatherbug Elite for years, over multiple phones. No issues with WB or WBE being battery hogs on any of said previous phones. Nor am I witnessing any major drains on my Turbo BN.

After reading through this thread, I think the major thing to point out here is there are two WB apps: Weatherbug and Weatherbug Elite. When I switched last week from my Razr Maxx to my new Turbo BN I about died when I read that Weatherbug was no longer going to be supported/updated. It wasn't transferred over to my Turbo with all of my other GooglePlay apps.
However, since I had it before, it was accessible in my GP settings and is now safely residing on my Turbo BN, where it belongs.

Most of those reporting issues here are using the WB app, not the Elite (paid) version. I can only wonder what differences there are between the two. One can only guess as WB Elite is no longer available on GP, nor can you upgrade to it from the basic WB (free) app. WB (free) is the only version that will continue to receive updates/support. I, as a WBE user, did not receive a recent update which may be why my app is still running as expected.

Right, weatherbug stopped updating the old elite app two or so years ago, and pulled it from active sale on the play store. You can only install it if you bought it when it was still for sale.

Wow. I'm an owner of WBE and I didn't know that the product was done away with. I stopped running it sometime ago, but I'm really surprised. Anyone know why it's no longer being developed?

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought that I had lost WBE for good, but thanks to this post, I took a look in Play/My apps/All and scrolled until I found it. I reinstalled it, as I always liked the 4x1 widget and no ads. Yay!
Also, I do not enable the My location feature, which I'm sure saves battery.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Wow. I'm an owner of WBE and I didn't know that the product was done away with. I stopped running it sometime ago, but I'm really surprised. Anyone know why it's no longer being developed?

See Earth Networks (WeatherBug) Quietly Kills Premium Version Of App, Plans Subscriptions For Ad-Free Experience [Update]

By the way, here is the link to the Play Store for anybody who bought the app and wants to reinstall on a new phone, or on a phone that's been factory reset: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tails?id=com.aws.android.elite&token=C6w4nkjC

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Great. The best weather app is now subscription only if you want to ditch the ads. Without updates, the function of the paid version is now on life support since sooner or later it will become incompatible with newer Android operating systems maybe even, Lollipop. It's a terrific app but this smacks of a sleazy way to extract more money from those who purchased the Elite version previously.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Great. The best weather app is now subscription only if you want to ditch the ads. Without updates, the function of the paid version is now on life support since sooner or later it will become incompatible with newer Android operating systems maybe even, Lollipop. It's a terrific app but this smacks of a sleazy way to extract more money from those who purchased the Elite version previously.

I'm not sure I agree. I have no problem making sure that the developers of apps that I really get value from are fairly compensated. To say that paying $2.00 five years ago (that's when I bought WBE) entitles me to use the app forever without further payment is fine if it's not worth the cost to you - but there are apps that I'll gladly pay for every year if they continue to add value and continue being developed. The weather data and analysis provided by these apps is not free.

That said, they sure could have communicated this decision better than they have, that's for sure.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I agree. I have no problem making sure that the developers of apps that I really get value from are fairly compensated. To say that paying $2.00 five years ago (that's when I bought WBE) entitles me to use the app forever without further payment is fine if it's not worth the cost to you - but there are apps that I'll gladly pay for every year if they continue to add value and continue being developed. The weather data and analysis provided by these apps is not free.

That said, they sure could have communicated this decision better than they have, that's for sure.

Being a paid user of both Weather Bug Elite and eWeatherHD, I'll take the latter any day of the week. I know I sound like a broken record and you'd swear I had some affiliation with the company/developer, but I don't. I just a happy camper that found the best weather application for Android, in my opinion, with support that's 2nd to none. Tell me what other apps you have that consistently get back to you in hours, those couple times you may have an issue. It's not many, that's for damn sure.

OK, I'm done :). I promise this will be my last public service announcement for eWeatherHD..................................... in this thread.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Being a paid user of both Weather Bug Elite and eWeatherHD, I'll take the latter any day of the week. I know I sound like a broken record and you'd swear I had some affiliation with the company/developer, but I don't. I just a happy camper that found the best weather application for Android, in my opinion, with support that's 2nd to none. Tell me what other apps you have that consistently get back to you in hours, those couple times you may have an issue. It's not many, that's for damn sure.

OK, I'm done :). I promise this will be my last public service announcement for eWeatherHD..................................... in this thread.

Your opinion (and public announcements, lol) is appreciated. I know that I pushed WB Elite just as much when it was an actively supported app. It is a serious matter of 'to each their own' when it comes to any apps, weather ones included. Since WB Elite is no longer supported (and I couldn't stand the free WB version), I will be looking into eWeather HD to see if it is something that will work for my needs. So, thank you for your insight on it. :)

doninvt

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I've also had WB recently start using a lot of battery, like 20% of the total. On another charge cycle it might not even show on the list of apps by energy used. Maybe ît depends which ads are running?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Possibly. I'm relatively pleased with Weather Underground (aside from the absurd amount of time it takes to load motion on the radar). So, not sure I have any need to go back to WB.

doninvt

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
This just started happening to me recently, and it is intermittent... clearing cache *may* fix it for a couple of days.

Big thing: It ONLY happens on my Moto X running Android 4.4.2. Never on my Moto E (4.4.4) or Nexus 7 (5.0.2). On the latter devices, battery usage is generally at or off the bottom of the list (<1%)

On the Moto X it is set to background update only every 2 hours, and has no active widget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy