A bump in the Nylon + Speaker Static?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious to find out if this is related at all even though it's a long shot. I've seen a variety of Turbos in both Metallic Glass and Ballistic Nylon and here is what I've noticed:

4 Ballistic Nylon had a slight hard bump to the right of the camera on the edge. This can be seen through a TPU case. Each of these phones had a noticeable static during music and music ring tones at the higher volumes.

2 Turbos in Nylon without the bump and the speaker sounded fantastic. No static at all on any volume setting.

2 Turbo in Metallic Glass without the bump although I'm unsure if the phone can have it. Speakers had zero static issues.

---------------

All of the Nylon devices with issues were made in the initial batch. The other ones that had no issues were made in November.

The Metallic glass was made at launch on both units.

--------------
Sorry for the long post but I'm convinced launch units were not so good. I had units side by side belonging to friends and family so the environment was optimal. I did the sound tests with the same ringtones, audio files and YouTube videos.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
10/10 build on mine. No bump, speaker can be slightly crackly at 90% volume and above, depending on what I'm listening to. Not a huge deal for me though, as using my external speaker for music and such is rare.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
10/10 build on mine. No bump, speaker can be slightly crackly at 90% volume and above, depending on what I'm listening to. Not a huge deal for me though, as using my external speaker for music and such is rare.

The ones with the bump are a bit more than slightly from my experience. Very noticeable when a ringtone goes off. Very annoying.

Last edited:

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually, disregard. Listened to the you tube video of the song I checked with and the static appears to be inherent in the track itself. So, no static to report.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Actually, disregard. Listened to the you tube video of the song I checked with and the static appears to be inherent in the track itself. So, no static to report.

Thank you. I'm very curious to see if there a common reason for the static. I feel I've tested enough devices to determine the issue but I wanted a wider testing field. We are all tech heads here on Android Central so we would notice these things. :)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Could you provide a picture or something to show what this "bump" looks like?

The camera wouldn't pick it up. If you view the phone from the back its to the right of the camera on the edge. If you rub your finger across that area and don't feel it then there is no bump.

Edge of the nylon near the rubber sides. Opposite side of the power button but almost the same area on opposite side. The bump isn't easy to see naked but it pushes a TPU case out so its noticeable. It also feels round

I always thought it was a normal screw but I've felt several without the hard bump so I know it has to be a defect. I felt a Coworkers 64 GB today and he has no bump or static. Again, not sure if these issues are related but my experience has been yes.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No bump, no static, 12/14 assembly date.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

Thank you for your input. Again, its a limited test but so far every static free speaker has had no bump. Not sure why the bump matters but its interesting none the less.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon and also spoke with Motorola and I have the option for a replacement either way. Does anyone know if Verizon refurbished units have a chance of having a manufacturer date in November or later? I am holding out for now because I don't want to play games with Verizon and have them keep sending me phones. I'm sure I'll have a phone at some point. Motorola seemed to get the impression I wanted away from the Turbo even after stating many times I didn't. Such a great phone. :)

Edit - I was mistaken on my Assembly Date which is 11/28/14. My original phone was October but not my insurance replacement. So build dates may not matter but I still believe the static is not the expected norm. I'll call Verizon later on.

Edit #2 - So I did speak to a Verizon representative today with an Employee Edition who said they had no bump and no static. They had a co-worker in their department with a standard 64 GB model and they had the bump and he heard the static in that device. I have a replacement on the way and the representative requested a warehouse manager to look at it before he ships it. Whether that happens or not, according to the rep I spoke with, is another story. It was his request, not mine.

Last edited:

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I actually noticed this with my 64g bn the other night. Never noticed it before that. Took it out of the case and it went away. Its in a fully sealed lifeproof I believe that's the cause

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually noticed this with my 64g bn the other night. Never noticed it before that. Took it out of the case and it went away. Its in a fully sealed lifeproof I believe that's the cause

Strange. Mine isn't in a case like that and its a hard circular bump that doesn't go away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781