02-12-2015 07:08 AM
47 12
tools
    The Advanced Calling issues such as hissing noises while on a non-HD call and taking 4 seconds to connect after answering are known issues even Verizon acknowledges.
    Yup, I've read about that, and while they are known, they are not universal. We don't know how widespread the hissing is. I don't have it, as well as some others who have posted. The connection delay is not always there for me, and when it is it seems less than 2 seconds.

Not significant for me, but certainly some others are experiencing greater difficulties. I should have been clearer in my previous post about it being just my opinion that it's not a huge problem, as I would've expected many more threads, posts, and news stories on these issues if that were the case.

Don't get me wrong, obviously there needs to be a fix because they're real problems that are affecting enough people to warrant it, when it shouldn't be happening at all. Unfortunately we're VoLTE guinea pigs forced to go through VZW's 'growing pains' since it's early in the VoLTE transition process (hopefully, we'll avoid the 'growing pains' that others are experiencing with Lollipop and go straight to 5.1!).
    02-07-2015 12:42 AM
    Actually heavy is not subjective. I own the RMHD which is on the heavy side and the Turbo is a full ounce heavier. One of the several reasons I passed on it. The choice to go with ballistic nylon was odd, as was the fact that the kevlar versions were a different size and there was confusion as to whether the same cases would fit both versions. Verizon's own website had big disclaimers that their cases would not fit the BN versions. The whole thing was just strange. I agree "ugly" is subjective. Honestly, IMO the phone is kind of ugly with the big chin. But that is in the eye of the beholder. Specs wise the Turbo looks like a beast on paper. But there were many red flags like eating people's data plans and poor call quality and no voice and data at release time and poor wifi signal and so forth. Granted advanced calling came later. But many problems have been reported with that as well. If you own the Turbo and you are happy with it then that's what counts. But as an objective observer, some of the criticisms have merit. I will almost surely be upgrading to the HTC One M9.
    I wouldn't say heavy is not subjective. Yes, it can be weighed and compared scientifically, but what one person describes as heavy, another might think it's just fine. You're comparing the Turbo to a RMHD, I'm comparing it to my first Motorola, a MicroTac 650e. The extended battery by itself on that thing was physically larger and weighed more than the Turbo does. Or I'd also compare it to my cordless phones, and it's about the same weight.

I guess what I'm getting at is, some of these complaints sound like it's the most horrible thing in the world that it's and ounce heavier or a mm thicker.
    02-07-2015 10:12 PM
    Mine does not have this gap you speak of.

I find the build quality to be quite good. Well put together and has a very solid feel to it.
    Only thing I'm not fond of is the design of the speakers. Lint does gather there.
    Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

i do not have the "gap" either. build date 12-2-2014
    02-07-2015 10:47 PM
    They don't know what they're missing.
    I know what I'm missing. Verizon.

It's a real shame there is no unlocked version for those of us that don't do 2 yr contracts, or prefer other carriers. I really do like the Turbo. Personally, I refuse to be a part of that contract game. I pay $30 a month for unlimited talk, text, and a little data. I'm always around wifi, so the data part means little to me. Plus, I don't live on my phone like a lot of other people these days.
    02-07-2015 11:20 PM
    I hate reading so many opinions about this phone. It makes me hesitant to keep it through the return period. Honestly, it didn't have neatO features like some others might but it's a great. If the note 4 had the same screen size I might be in that forum right now.

I don't understand all the talk about size, looks, and build quality though. I saw a tear down video where the battery was almost the exact size of the Moto x. I assume it's the same technology used in the lg g2. I'm not sure what makes the phone thicker but it wasn't the battery. My only gripe about the size is lack of one handed kb options for landscape mode.

I'm tempted to go screen protector only with my 64gig bn. The added weight conveys the idea of it being tough. But there's nothing I know that protects a screen from landing flat.

It'd be nice if it became more popular so that the xda forum had more traffic. The stability is a little boring since I'm used to heading over there for tips and tweaks...otherwise, no complaints I guess...especially related to build quality.

Maybe the guy who wrote the amazing third party camera app for g2 will end up with one

Posted via the Android Central App
    02-08-2015 03:07 AM
    overrated device and locked down tighter than a virgin on prom night, no thanks.
    02-08-2015 08:04 AM
    I spend zero time worrying about what others think about the items I like and/or purchase.
    I buy things based on my needs and likes, not theirs.
    Needing others to validate your choices is a losing battle.......
    02-08-2015 08:35 AM
    I spend zero time worrying about what others think about the items I like and/or purchase.
    I buy things based on my needs and likes, not theirs.
    Needing others to validate your choices is a losing battle.......
    This is the best comment in this thread . Cheers
    BBSeattle likes this.
    02-08-2015 08:45 AM
    I agree, basically when you're looking for a phone what's important to you isn't as important to someone else. Just look at the ballistic vs. Kevlar arguments on here.
    02-08-2015 09:58 AM
    If overrated is 3 day battery life without trying, a premium build quality (for me at least no gap or bump or anything) then dont get the turbo. Personally I believe there is nothing over rated about motorola droid series phones. If you want over rated get an iphone or samsung phone. Samsung phones suck. They are ll cheap crappy plastic and feel cheap. The turbo feels like a premium device if I have ever seen one
    D._Manley likes this.
    02-08-2015 11:05 AM
    I agree, basically when you're looking for a phone what's important to you isn't as important to someone else. Just look at the ballistic vs. Kevlar arguments on here.
    I do think objective opinions are helpful prior to purchase. I was almost scared off with all the camera conversations. But he's right...gotta be careful about where you get advice and getting one in your hands will be the ultimate test.

It'd be nice if we could remove unnecessary bias or complaints. I.e. The guy a few posts above making bold statements

02-08-2015 11:07 AM
    If overrated is 3 day battery life without trying, a premium build quality (for me at least no gap or bump or anything) then dont get the turbo. Personally I believe there is nothing over rated about motorola droid series phones. If you want over rated get an iphone or samsung phone. Samsung phones suck. They are ll cheap crappy plastic and feel cheap. The turbo feels like a premium device if I have ever seen one
    Your battery lasts 3 days?
    02-08-2015 11:20 AM
    There's only a small subset of people who want to super-user their phones. I personally don't have the time to keep fiddleing with it. Also Verizon has a bad name in the industry but IMO they are all shady corporations after our money, I just want a carrier where I don't have to stand in my front yard to make a phone call. The camera could be more responsive but for me the stuff I'm taking pics of is sitting still so that doesn't effect me. The battery alone though does it for me. I have to charge it every day but I use the heck out of it and I don't worry about killing apps or turning features off to save juice. The build is premium and if I do have any problems with it in the 1st year its not a problem to get a new one next-day shipped to me.
    02-08-2015 11:39 AM
    Yea I do get good battery life. And thats running it down to only 25-30% before charging. If I ran down to 0 (which you shouldnt do) then Id have even better than I already do. My attachments are a snapshot of my excel file where I keep track of all my battery states. Then I run it through a statistical program, some may say well your only looking at screen on time/ percent, battery on time/ percent, cell standby % and time with no signal % and voicecall percent and time, BUT this accounts for nearly 85% of battery use. So for my purposes it is fine. I have all the data recorded for every charge since I bought my phone. Im doing a small study on how the battery lasts over time and see how many charge cycles it lasts etc.
    Attached Thumbnails what's with all reviews knocking build quality?-1.png   what's with all reviews knocking build quality?-2.png  
    02-08-2015 05:00 PM
    I like the Turbo because is solid not pretty, if you like pretty buy some flowers. When I buy something the only opinion that matters is mine.
    02-08-2015 06:10 PM
    I like the Turbo because is solid not pretty, if you like pretty buy some flowers. When I buy something the only opinion that matters is mine.
    Personally, I think the BN Turbo is one of the better looking devices out there. The nylon with the band around the edge, and the emblem rather than a silkscreened logo, all really add to the look IMHO.
    02-09-2015 01:06 AM
    I agree, I think it is unique and does infact give it a rough and tough AND flagship status feel. Honestly there are too many phones that have glass front and back or all cheap aluminum that its not even unique anymore.
    02-09-2015 08:46 AM
    This thread states what has been fascinating to me for a while now, how passionate we all get about our choice of phones. For Turbo we should differentiate between build design, build quality and subjective appearance. It seems most complaints on build design center around the thickness and lack of "exotic" artifacts like a titanium frame, etc. Build quality is cut and dry, complain if you have a gap or bump that should not be there, return the phone and find out if it is a flaw or intended design. As for appearance, I have read blocky, masculine, uninspired, hideous capacitive buttons & chin (who knew people hate phone chins, right?), to name a few. Bottom line I looked at the phone online, it was what I wanted, I am very happy with my Turbo, don't you dare disagree with me
    88horizon5speed likes this.
    02-11-2015 12:20 PM
    I agree with your last line!
    02-11-2015 09:05 PM
    This thread states what has been fascinating to me for a while now, how passionate we all get about our choice of phones. For Turbo we should differentiate between build design, build quality and subjective appearance. It seems most complaints on build design center around the thickness and lack of "exotic" artifacts like a titanium ring, etc. Build quality is cut and dry, complain if you have a gap or bump that should not be there, return the phone and find out if it is a flaw or intended design. As for appearance, I have read blocky, masculine, uninspired, hideous capacitive buttons & chin (who knew people hate phone chins, right?), to name a few. Bottom line I looked at the phone online, it was what I wanted, I am very happy with my Turbo, don't you dare disagree with me
    The Turbo is one of the best looking phones I've seen; especially in Ballistic Nylon. I hate to cover it up with a case but I want to protect it and its a bit too thin for me otherwise. Excellent build quality as I can't find a creak at all. Love it.
    02-11-2015 10:04 PM
    If you want to protect it and also show the back off, the lifeproof has a crystal clear back
    02-12-2015 06:56 AM
    The Turbo is one of the best looking phones I've seen; especially in Ballistic Nylon. I hate to cover it up with a case but I want to protect it and its a bit too thin for me otherwise. Excellent build quality as I can't find a creak at all. Love it.
    That's funny cuz I thought I was the only one who thought it was too thin without a case.

02-12-2015 07:08 AM
47 12