Is there any way to control what apps will run at start-up?

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Apps Running at Start-up

Is there any way to control what apps run at start-up?
Coming from a Razr Maxx that had issues, I am accustomed to checking my Running Apps list following a start-up/power cycle and force stopping the ones that are not essential to the phone functioning properly. And it seems old habits die hard as I caught myself doing just this on my Turbo and, what do you know.. some of the same apps are running immediately after start-up, despite the fact that I haven't opened them. A few of the culprits are Password Keeper and YouTube. I do use/open these apps on occasion (1-2 times per month) but I certainly do not like them running automatically for no reason. Nothing I do on the phone on a daily basis requires them to be open. It's a PITA to have to go in and manually tell them to shut the heck up! (Yes, I have gone into the settings on each of these apps but there is no box to uncheck to not have the app run on start-up.) So, it would be ever so nice to be able to have a say on what runs and what doesn't when I re-start my phone.
Any help here would be appreciated!

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Apps Running at Start-up

I just power-cycled. Here is a list of every app in the Running Apps list I have to stop:
Keeper (FastFill)
PowerAmp (Headset Micro Service)
Google App (Search Service)
Voicemail (PhonebookSyncService)
YouTube (OfflineTransferService)

Meh.

D._Manley

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

Well, you could just disable *some* of them. To be honest, I don't believe there's anything to be gained on the Turbo though. It is an absolute beast with more than sufficient processing power, RAM & battery to make fretting over it a waste of time & effort. Blazing fast with default settings & I don't believe it's going to garner anything you'd notice. FWIW, I've benchmarked mine in stock form and it scores at the top of the heap.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

True, but disabling isn't really the course of action I'd like to take. If I disabled Keeper, then I'd have to go through the setup process again every time I wanted to access one of my passwords. Not much of a gain there, actually more of a loss due to the time and effort. I'd much rather be able to tell the app to just wait to run until I actually open it. Huh. What a concept.

And I agree that the Turbo is a beast. At least in my opinion having come from a Razr Maxx that gave me nothing but RAM trouble for nearly a year. When I start-up the Turbo and go to the Running Apps list, I have about 1.5MB used by those running. After stopping the above listed apps, my RAM usage drops to 1.1MB and my Turbo responds and reacts noticeably quicker (i.e., apps opening/closing, home button, page transitions, etc.). It may be a moot point for others but given my recent experience with the Razr Maxx, that .3MB gain is worth my time to manually kill those aforementioned apps. I'm just wondering if there's a way to sidestep the massacre and just tell them not to run in the first place.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site

Is there any way to control what apps run at start-up?
Coming from a Razr Maxx that had issues, I am accustomed to checking my Running Apps list following a start-up/power cycle and force stopping the ones that are not essential to the phone functioning properly. And it seems old habits die hard as I caught myself doing just this on my Turbo and, what do you know.. some of the same apps are running immediately after start-up, despite the fact that I haven't opened them. A few of the culprits are Password Keeper and YouTube. I do use/open these apps on occasion (1-2 times per month) but I certainly do not like them running automatically for no reason. Nothing I do on the phone on a daily basis requires them to be open. It's a PITA to have to go in and manually tell them to shut the heck up! (Yes, I have gone into the settings on each of these apps but there is no box to uncheck to not have the app run on start-up.) So, it would be ever so nice to be able to have a say on what runs and what doesn't when I re-start my phone.
Any help here would be appreciated!

Not a direct answer to your question, but simply.............. don't worry about it. Let them run. I too came from a Droid Razr Maxx to the Droid Turbo. Like night and day doesn't say it enough. I too had to get into the game of killing/stopping everything that I didn't want running, so I could get less than acceptable performance on the Razr Maxx. You would have this issue on the Turbo. Knock on wood, this thing has been great as it relates to speed and performance.

By the way........... very petty face.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

as others have mentioned I wouldn't worry about it, 3GB of Ram !!!! Just disable all the verizon and amazon stuff, that alone has gives me 48hours battery life with 20% to spare. Can't complain about that !!

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I think Greenify works without root now. I could be wrong, but I'm too lazy to check right now.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Yes, it has 3GB of RAM. That is the number one reason I opted for this phone.
I guess I'm alone in this then. I will continue to kill the apps that run at start-up that I don't need running.
Yes the Turbo runs smooth and fast, but mine runs a bit more smooth and a tad more fast (even if it is a miniscule difference) and I am happier knowing that it is running the way I think it should (even if I have to kill apps that are useless (until I choose to open them), taking up available RAM (a fraction of a fraction, I know) and slowing down the start-up speed (a percentage of a millisecond, I know)).

I think Greenify works without root now. I could be wrong, but I'm too lazy to check right now.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

When you get a chance to share, I would be grateful for any info or insight you may have. :)

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

This may NOT answer your question, but search the Droid Maxx forums (not the Razr Maxx, but as in Ver 1.0 of this Maxx/Turbo line) and there is a thread of everything you can disable that is bloatware or not needed. However, specific run programs may not be listed, which is why I advise it may not answer the question. Worth a look, though.

thecommentator

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site

Two years later, I have exactly the same WRT Android in general: How do I prevent apps from auto-starting on bootup?

I'm amazed at the you-don't-really-need/want-to-do-that kind of answers you were given, and that we should need ANOTHER app (greenify?) to accomplish what should just be an explicit change to settings...somewhere on the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835