VOLTE Call delay

jnb5531

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been having an issue with Verizon's VoLTE where the there's a delay in the audio the first couple seconds where you would be saying hello or waiting for the person on the other line to initiate the conversation.

You can imagine this is frustrating because you have to repeat yourself because you don't hear the initial hello/this is " ".

Does any one else have this issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup, happens to my wife and I. We both have the MAXX, both with VoLTE enabled. Happens every time we call each other.

jnb5531

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm well glad to know I'm not alone. I wonder how they'll fix it..in the lollipop update or separately.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's probably an issue with the service rather than the phone. It's early days, I'm sure as they tweak the service it will get better.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have seem to have this on calls I initiate, but not on calls I receive. Is this in line with others' experience, or am I an exception?

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have seem to have this on calls I initiate, but not on calls I receive. Is this in line with others' experience, or am I an exception?

Yes, it does seem to be with calls I initiate. Also, it seems to happen for me when I call a land line, haven't noticed it when calling another cell phone.

UnlockedOnly

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been having an issue with Verizon's VoLTE where the there's a delay in the audio the first couple seconds where you would be saying hello or waiting for the person on the other line to initiate the conversation.

You can imagine this is frustrating because you have to repeat yourself because you don't hear the initial hello/this is " ".

i have it tuned off for now, that is until its fixed. be patient, still in the early stages.

Does any one else have this issue?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it does seem to be with calls I initiate. Also, it seems to happen for me when I call a land line, haven't noticed it when calling another cell phone.
I noticed it on a call to my son on Sprint service yesterday. When I called him -- delay. When he called me -- no delay. Same day.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I both have Turbos and we both experience this. I've take to answering with a cheery "Hello...hello!" She usually hears the second one!

Posted via the Turbo

mrcraft2u

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
This is true. Happens on all VoLTE devices and Verizon is aware of it. Just growing pains.

Haven't had this problem with calls between my wife and myself. I got the turbo the day it came out and my wife bought hers about a month later... No delays at all. I'll just consider us lucky and leave it at that. ;-)

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Haven't had this problem with calls between my wife and myself. I got the turbo the day it came out and my wife bought hers about a month later... No delays at all. I'll just consider us lucky and leave it at that. ;-)

I guess there's always an exception to the rule. I was speaking with Verizon the other day since my speaker has static and he asked me if I activated VoLTE. I said that I tried it but it's not great. He proceeded to tell me that he hears a TON of complaints about a delay.

That's not to say everyone has it but I've seen it on a Turbo and S5.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, delay on both phones in this abode. A couple friends have noticed it as well with other VoLTE phones. I assume it is early tech bugs, as expected, that will get flushed out sooner rather than later.

thekurrgan#AC

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, delay on both phones in this abode. A couple friends have noticed it as well with other VoLTE phones. I assume it is early tech bugs, as expected, that will get flushed out sooner rather than later.
Dont get too hopeful on that. SIP is not rocket science, but there are just some limitations to its implementation that cannot be gotten around too easily. After thinking about this issue a bit, and applying what I know of SIP and how it integrates, it seems to me if there was any sort of an easy fix they'd have done it before releasing it. But, they needed to keep pace with AT&T, so they pushed it out the door. My hunch, is the codec negotiation between the client and the server is taking a bit longer than they hoped, which is going to need some decent code re-work to fix. It could also mean either a codec change entirely, or updates to both clients and servers. The changes made to the protocol for use over VoLTE is minimal, but obviously Verizon could have proprietary code involved which could either speed up or slow down the bug fixing process.

Bottom line, VoLTE from anyone is far from ready for prime time any way, and in truth it benefits the carriers a hell of a lot more than it benefits us. Verizon has the most robust, scalable and proven voice technology available in the world (Sorry, CDMA 1xRTT vs ANYTHING GSM has is far superior for density, propagation and use of spectrum) and the widest deployment in the US.
That said, its still fun to play with.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Usually I have a LG neck wraparound Bluetooth headset on and wait for it to say "Call Answered" and it alleviates the problem because I am waiting anyway.

But, if I go to leave my wife a voice mail when I call and get no answer, I do notice the "Hello! This is" in her greeting is "H..... This is" and the Hello is basically cut out. Not a huge deal, but confirming I have the issue as well.

For the record we both have the VOLTE on my Turbo and her Maxx.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Check your phone for an update! The new update seems to have fixed the delay I had on VoLTE.

Also, the hissing noise isn't as dominant as it once was.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muejnkfabet