I have my gmail account selected for backups. Question is, how do I know there is a backup? Where can I check? On my HTC with HTC backup, the device gave me backup info as to last backup date & time. Not so with Google backup...maybe I don't understand how Google backup works.
    02-10-2015 07:11 AM
    It's kind of vague. See this support page: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2819582?hl=en
    02-11-2015 02:51 AM
    as far as i know you can see only stuff like contacts and stuff like that, of course chrome, and mail etc. You can see photos through google +. As for wifi passwords etc, thats not really accessible i dont think. if the phone says it backed it up I would trust it is backed up. ive never had a problem. whenever I get a new phone, I sync the old one on its last use before shutting it off and ill sign into google on the new one and everything appears just dandy
    02-11-2015 09:14 AM
    Thanks. I don't want to see what's in the backup, only that one exists. How do I get it to "back up now?"
    02-11-2015 10:08 AM
    It's only used to restore data if you log into a new phone, or if you remove your Google account from the phone and then add it back.
    02-11-2015 10:20 AM
    As for wifi passwords etc, thats not really accessible i dont think.
    Yes, they are. If you choose to restore a phone after backing up to your Google account prior, WiFi access points and their passphrases are restored, some display settings are restored (wallpaper, screen timeout). Oddly, there are many settings that are not restore which I think should be - phone ringtone, notification ringtone, etc.

You can go into your Google account dashboard: https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard

Log in, and there should have an "Android" setting toward the top, with a triangle to the left. Open it by clicking the triangle (ths may be easier on aPC, by the way) and it should list all of your Androd devices, including a listing for "applications with backup on servers". You can't see the backup data, but you can delete it all with a button press just below. For me, my phones (including my older phones, still there) have "Android System settings" (that's the WiFi and display stuff I mentioned before), "Android Market", and "Google". I don't play games, but I assume that if there were games that backed up data to Google, they maybe there, too (though maybe that's all collected in "Android Market").

Funny, they have the Play Store listed as the old name "Android Market" (which I think they should have kept.)
    sharkita likes this.
    02-11-2015 12:42 PM
    Yes, they are. If you choose to restore a phone after backing up to your Google account prior, WiFi access points and their passphrases are restored, some display settings are restored (wallpaper, screen timeout). Oddly, there are many settings that are not restore which I think should be - phone ringtone, notification ringtone, etc.

You can go into your Google account dashboard: https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard

Log in, and there should have an "Android" setting toward the top, with a triangle to the left. Open it by clicking the triangle (ths may be easier on aPC, by the way) and it should list all of your Androd devices, including a listing for "applications with backup on servers". You can't see the backup data, but you can delete it all with a button press just below. For me, my phones (including my older phones, still there) have "Android System settings" (that's the WiFi and display stuff I mentioned before), "Android Market", and "Google". I don't play games, but I assume that if there were games that backed up data to Google, they maybe there, too (though maybe that's all collected in "Android Market").

Funny, they have the Play Store listed as the old name "Android Market" (which I think they should have kept.)
    I'm not seeing this.
    02-11-2015 04:32 PM

Amazing! I've never checked out my Google Dashboard before, and there are all kinds of interesting tidbits listed, including my three Android phones. Thanks for the tip!
    DatabaseMX likes this.
    02-11-2015 04:55 PM
    Guess I've missed out on the Dashboard also ... thanks !

Things I see backed up are (noting I'm not using Google contacts or calendar - Office 365 instead):
    Applications with backup on servers

Android Wallpaper
    Backup date: Feb 6, 2015 10:50 PM
    Backup size: 115 B

Android System Settings
    Backup date: Feb 10, 2015 9:49 AM
    Backup size: 1.65 KB

Android Market
    Backup date: Feb 6, 2015 10:50 PM
    Backup size: 16 B

02-11-2015 06:12 PM
    Just for clarification when I said accessible I meant you can't see the ones backed up, not that they aren't backed up. You can't log into google and click a tab to show saved WiFi passwords. What you can do, if you search long and deep on google clicking into your account settings there is a list that says how many contacts, bookmarks, calendar events etc, not sure you can see WiFi passwords and stuff like that. You'll know its backed up if you click settings in android and scroll down you where its about google accounts and click on it. It'll say the exact time and date it last back uped
    02-11-2015 10:02 PM