Messenger killing my battery

sitlet

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Same issue here with my HTC m8. Started 2 days ago, only sent three messages with the app in those 2 days. Gsam is saying it's using 80 percent of my battery. I'm losing about 25 percent an hour.

I did see something on a reddit post that said this is only happening on 4g and not WiFi. Sure enough, sitting at home before work today, my phone drained about 5 percent in 4 hours. As soon as i left, it drained 20 percent before I even got to work.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Pretty clear that there's a major problem with the app. Maybe they're on top of it but would be nice if they actually acknowledged what's up with it.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Dont take any offense to this, but is FB messenger completely necessary? If I want to browse facebook on my phone I just go on chrome mobile. And if I want to get in touch with a friend I just text them...

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I ran into this problem yesterday. Deleted messenger and my battery is back to normal. It seems that this problem has surfaced the last day or so.

Posted via the Android Central App

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Yap. Same thing here as well.
Killed the battery and almost burned the cover of my Nexus 9 (WiFi). Uninstalled it then the next day installed it again. The same thing happened, so uninstalled fb messenger and waiting for a response from Zuckerberg.
However, this is not the same at my Nexus 5. There the app operates as it used to, without any glitches or other issues.
Really strange considering both devices run 5.0.1

GSEND

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
I re-installed Messenger yesterday and battery usage seems back to normal. Messenger is not even registering on my battery usage.

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Battery usage ranges between 61% and 66%. Reinstalled app but did not resolve.
You just know a sleep deprived coding team is frantically working to resolve.
View attachment 163254

I have tried searching for this app you have pictured here, but to no avail. I am always on the lookout for a decent (free or paid) battery consumption app and this one appears to be right up my alley.
Seeing as how I am not the only one interested, it would be greatly appreciated by a number of us if you could tell us the name of this app.
Thank you much!

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have tried searching for this app you have pictured here, but to no avail. I am always on the lookout for a decent (free or paid) battery consumption app and this one appears to be right up my alley.
Seeing as how I am not the only one interested, it would be greatly appreciated by a number of us if you could tell us the name of this app.
Thank you much!

Its Facebook Messenger.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
That is what is circled near the top, yes. But I am wanting to know what app the screenshot is for? What app did the user install to see that Consumption screen?

Seeing as that's his only post on AC we might be out of luck. He might be a one post wonder. I couldn't find one that looked like it in my search either,

Wizdum70

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
For those wanting to know the app used in BradSmithSC's post, it appears to be Battery Doctor by Cheetah Mobile Inc. I've been using it for a month and a half and it seems decent.

Hope I helped.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
For those wanting to know the app used in BradSmithSC's post, it appears to be Battery Doctor by Cheetah Mobile Inc. I've been using it for a month and a half and it seems decent.

Hope I helped.

Thanks! The app has over 1mil downloads. Interestingly it wants to close 68 of my apps that are apparently open. Things including my launcher and calendar widget. You can add them to the ignore list, but I guess its really trying to maximize your battery life by closing everything except the base OS. Seems like my phone would stop doing just about everything I'm used to if I'd let it. Although I didn't know some of the apps were open in the background (despite a recent reboot) like my remote car starting app. I can't imagine its really using that much power, but the app says if I let it close all 68 things it will increase my battery life by 4h 30m

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Lol I first read this and said Google Messenger? No way, its so minimalistic and clean.

Facebook Messenger. Yes FB Messenger is the devil. It actually just started showing up on battery monitors after the Lollipop update, but I've been telling users with battery problems about FB and its Messenger for months. It was an invisible drain for the longest time. I'm upset FB required this messenger in order to communicate through IM's on their main app, and how poorly they designed it.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Hope I helped.
I'm a little wary of Cheetah Mobile. I've got some RAM/Memory Boost pop-up that shows up occasionally after exiting certain games on my Moto X.

The pop up will perform the boost for free but it also has links that take you to Cheetah Mobile software on the Play store.

I don't remember ever inviting this app on to my phone. I also cannot find an app in my app drawer that corresponds to this pop up. In fact, when I look up Cheetah Mobile on the Play Store, none of their apps show as already installed on my phone.

DatabaseMX

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Droid Turbo
Messgener: 0.1% usage and 0.7% per two different battery apps I am running.
I use it daily, as well as on a couple of different laptops. AFAIC ... it's by far the best instant (and I do mean instant) messaging service ever. It's super fast with a load of functionality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair