Photos of Action/Movement....Blurry?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting some (mostly) non-blurry photos I took of a basketball game tonight. There's been complaining that the Droid Turbo camera has a slow shutter and any photo taken of anyone or anything moving will come out blurry and practically impossible to look at. I beg to differ, so here's my shots.

I took some shots of the warm-up shoot around and some shots of game play. I also took some interesting shots at full zoom of free throws as the ball approached the basket. If the shutter is slow, I'm wondering how I was able to get these shots. I tried five of these shots, I'm posting four of them. The one I'm not posting did not have a ball in the picture area, I presume because it hit the rim.

Pictures have been resized to 1920X1080 and "saved for web" to decrease overall file size.

Here are some shots of the pregame warmups. For greater detail, click on the photos to see full sized.

IMG_20150213_5972.jpg
The bouncing ball is blurry, as is the ball being laid up to the basket, but I think this is a pretty good non-blurry shot of movement.

IMG_20150213_layup2.jpg
The guy taking the shot is blurry, he was running at 3/4 speed but look at the ball kissing the backboard. Perfect.

IMG_20150213_layup3_blurry.jpg
Guy making left-handed layup is blurry, but look at other guy in the lane who just passed the ball. Not bad.

IMG_20150213_layup4_blurry.jpg
There's a lot of movement in this photo. Lots of guys moving fast, but only the guy in the lane getting set to jump is beyond acceptable blurriness, IMO. Notice the guy in the foreground that is dribbling left-handed. Pretty good focus.

IMG_20150213_jumpshot.jpg
I was focusing on the guy taking the jump shot from the free throw line.

Here's some in game shots.

IMG_20150213_0336.jpg

IMG_20150213_0414.jpg

Here's the free throw shots. Zoom is all the way up. I took the shot when I thought the ball was going to go through the basket. On the one I got with the ball swishing through the net, a kid in front of me happened to stand up just then, kind of ruining the picture. Oh well.

IMG_20150213_freethrow1.jpg

IMG_20150213_freethrow2.jpg

IMG_20150213_freethrow3.jpg
I guess I'm just lucky. Or my phone camera is blessed.

IMG_20150213_freethrow4.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my pictures. Yes, there is some blurriness especially on things that are moving fast, like balls in mid air or feet moving fast. But overall, I think these shots are pretty good for a phone camera.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Jesus man, give it up. YOU like the camera, we ALL get it. All hail the droid turbo camera, its the best thing ever in the history of things. How's that? Its the only way you are going to stop posting so there you go. You got what you wanted. No, you are not lucky or your camera isn't blessed. Everyone who disagrees is completely wrong and are all dolts who havent mastered the droid turbo camera as you have. Hail hail! Just as you posting all your shots makes you 100% right, those who post pictures that aren't good are 100% wrong, so please don't anyone bother. This camera is just way too good.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
IMG_20150208_173114142.jpg

Also pay attention to the amazing detail I got from 2 feet away from my dog as she lifted her head. Amazing the clarity in the photo and her not blurry at all head in the photo. This camera is a winner. No doubt.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
IMG_20150212_180459863.jpg

Another shot to enjoy. Wasn't moving at all. Just wanted to snap a pic. Check out the amazing detail! Enlarge to get a better view of this majestic powerhouse camera in all its glory!

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Screenshot_2015-02-13-23-44-18.jpg

Check this ***** out on the turbo developers forum!!! Lol, he asks "any camera improvement?" Just today. What a fool, perfection can't be improved! He must've gotten unlucky or got the one unblessed broken camera. Jeez, some people!

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have the shutter sound on or off? I don't think your pictures are perfect but you're motion problem isn't as bad as others.

My phone isn't either...but I turned off shutter sound, lowered resolution and use drag focus.

I had the shutter lag before I turned off the shutter sound. Now it's not nearly as bad. Maybe that'll help others?

Posted via the Android Central App

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting some (mostly) non-blurry photos I took of a basketball game tonight. There's been complaining that the Droid Turbo camera has a slow shutter and any photo taken of anyone or anything moving will come out blurry and practically impossible to look at. I beg to differ, so here's my shots.

I took some shots of the warm-up shoot around and some shots of game play. I also took some interesting shots at full zoom of free throws as the ball approached the basket. If the shutter is slow, I'm wondering how I was able to get these shots. I tried five of these shots, I'm posting four of them. The one I'm not posting did not have a ball in the picture area, I presume because it hit the rim.

Pictures have been resized to 1920X1080 and "saved for web" to decrease overall file size.

Here are some shots of the pregame warmups. For greater detail, click on the photos to see full sized.

View attachment 163276
The bouncing ball is blurry, as is the ball being laid up to the basket, but I think this is a pretty good non-blurry shot of movement.

View attachment 163277
The guy taking the shot is blurry, he was running at 3/4 speed but look at the ball kissing the backboard. Perfect.

View attachment 163278
Guy making left-handed layup is blurry, but look at other guy in the lane who just passed the ball. Not bad.

View attachment 163279
There's a lot of movement in this photo. Lots of guys moving fast, but only the guy in the lane getting set to jump is beyond acceptable blurriness, IMO. Notice the guy in the foreground that is dribbling left-handed. Pretty good focus.

View attachment 163286
I was focusing on the guy taking the jump shot from the free throw line.

Here's some in game shots.

View attachment 163284

View attachment 163285

Here's the free throw shots. Zoom is all the way up. I took the shot when I thought the ball was going to go through the basket. On the one I got with the ball swishing through the net, a kid in front of me happened to stand up just then, kind of ruining the picture. Oh well.

View attachment 163287

View attachment 163288

View attachment 163289
I guess I'm just lucky. Or my phone camera is blessed.

View attachment 163290

I hope you enjoyed my pictures. Yes, there is some blurriness especially on things that are moving fast, like balls in mid air or feet moving fast. But overall, I think these shots are pretty good for a phone camera.

Most of the players are also blurry. I think your pictures actually prove that the Moro camera sucks with moving targets.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Do you have the shutter sound on or off? I don't think your pictures are perfect but you're motion problem isn't as bad as others.

Shutter sound is off. I don't think it makes any difference in shutter speed.

I didn't say my pictures were perfect. I said they were "not bad", or "that guy is blurry but other guys are not" or "that guy is blurry but he's running at full speed". I did say the picture capturing the ball hitting the backboard in one shot was perfect, meaning the timing was just so. I got lucky.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Most of the players are also blurry. I think your pictures actually prove that the Moro camera sucks with moving targets.

I went to the game expecting lousy results. I was kind of surprised they came out as well so they did. There aren't many pics with guys standing around. There is movement, most of it quick movement in all these pics. The same shots with my Maxx HD or my son's Moto X would have been much worse. The lighting was decent, which helped a lot.

ANY phone camera in auto mode would take blurry shots of guys running at full speed. I decided to post these shots so others could see what to expect with the Droid Turbo camera.

I'm not understanding the anger of two of the posters that responded.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes you are understanding the anger of the two posters who disagreed with you, which is why after the last thread was locked, you had to wait a few days, and post pics with subtle but snide comments (oh I hope I don't upset anyone with my great shots...I must've gotten the magic blessed camera), knowing what we would say. How many more posts do you need, otherwise, to continue to say you are happy with the camera? Again, we get it. You love it. Your 30 other examples and reasons why in the various other threads said as much, even the last one you started yourself. Some people disagree with you. Again I'm not sure what you have personally invested in this mobile device or why you take it as a personal insult others don't 100% agree with you, but isn't it enough for you that YOU like the camera?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How many more posts do you need, otherwise, to continue to say you are happy with the camera?

Apparently you need to post at least one more than me telling us the camera sucks. I await your devastating response.

I'm simply posting pics so others can see my results.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Again, friend, tis you throwing the unnecessary jabs. Your last post gave all a fine example of what the camera can do. But you need a new one, complete with snark towards those who disagree, a few days later to once again reiterate your same exact point saying not a thing new or different? Nothing devastating about my response. Its the simple truth. Even your first sentence...I hope I'm not offending anyone posting non blurry photos...begins your passive aggressive attention seeking posts. When this one is locked up, how many more days will you wait to post the same thing again? We all get it. The camera takes some clear pics and some blurry ones. Don't really see anything particularly good about the photos you posted or the need to share them.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Great. A few shots of a blurry basketball and one with a not as blurry basketball. Still see nothing remarkable or post worthy different from the last time you needed to prove how great this camera is.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry...I didn't mean for that to come off as confrontational. I just meant that the pictures were pretty good considering the issues others have.

I had a lot of blur at first too. I didn't think the shutter sound had anything to do with shutter speed. I just meant I didn't seem to have the same lag from actually executing the command to real time capture. It could be that I turned off hdr too? I dunno...but the camera fits my needs and I don't think is as bad as other reviews make out. It's not perfect but not terrible.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a bike right now as part of my rehab for knee surgery. I was testing the time it takes to grab a photo with and without hdr while my legs spin. There was significantly less photo capture time without hdr. There was also significantly more blur with hdr. It did a decent job with very little blur up to about 50rpm's

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a bike right now as part of my rehab for knee surgery. I was testing the time it takes to grab a photo with and without hdr while my legs spin. There was significantly less photo capture time without hdr. There was also significantly more blur with hdr. It did a decent job with very little blur up to about 50rpm's

That is completely expected. Hdr photos are supposed to be three photos taken rapidly, one underexposed, one normal, one overexposed, with the results being a blend of the best elements of three.You're better off turning hdr off for all but landscape style pictures, or maybe portraits where people are very still.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
As for PowrDroid, honestly, there is already a sticky thread for posting examples of photos in this forum. Why not use that from now on? And for jamielov, maybe it's time to stop taking his bait and just let this lie at least until there is another software update?

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
As for PowrDroid, honestly, there is already a sticky thread for posting examples of photos in this forum. Why not use that from now on? And for jamielov, maybe it's time to stop taking his bait and just let this lie at least until there is another software update?

Agreed. I guess I was just confused why we needed yet another photo thread, and the snark/troll attempt was blatantly obvious. I'm tapping out