SMS messages: some words show in grey "bubble"

Greg Jordan

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
When creating an SMS text message, I noticed that it puts certain words in a gray "bubble" ... seems to be entirely random as to which words get the bubble, and it's not documented in Help. Any idea what that is?

jimcapraro

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Tap on the bubble and the word turns into a emoticon type picture representation of that word. It's not random, it only fires it for words that have pictures in its database.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There is also something called "weblink preview" that does something similar to URLs. That is a check box in settings- advanced settings -

jtyoderFW

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I have turned off Smart Emojis and I still get the gray bubbles. It's very frustrating! I hate those things! They are very inconvenient when I need to tap in the middle of a message to move my edit point and I hit a bubble instead.
What would cause them to still show up if I have them turned off?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the smart emojis turned off too and I still get the gray bubble sometimes. I can find no rhyme or reason for why it only comes up on some texts.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I would very much like to disable this text bubble feature. I do not like it at all, and it makes editing a message harder

If your "Smart Emoji" setting is already off, click it once to check it "on", then again to turn it back off. Just worked here for me just now.

Posted via the Android Central App

AndreyT

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
The issue that you describe has nothing to do with SMS application itself or any of its settings. It has nothing to do with "Smart Emoji" or anything like that.

What you observe is an intermittent bug in Google Keyboard application. It might correspond to some "feature", but I have no idea what feature that would be. When this behavior begins to manifest itself, it appears in virtually all applications that use basic keyboard function. The same issue will manifest in Messenger, Hangouts, Skype, Viber and so on and so forth.

I just experienced this issue myself and submitted a description to Google Support forums here (productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/nexus/71RCkVQd1rk/Dw8G0cUcBQAJ)

Note that the problem seems to clear after rebooting the phone. I don't know what factors activate it. So far I only experienced it once on Nexus 6. And I have not been able to reproduce it after reboot.

Tea9000

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
AHHHH thank you so much, turning it on and then off again works. I've been hating this feature for the past year or however long it's been implemented.

deBronkart

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
> If your "Smart Emoji" setting is already off, click it once to check it "on", then again to turn it back off. Just worked here for me just now.

Same here - thank you, all!

Note: SOMETHING came in uninvited and turned that feature on - I sure didn't. And it was only in this one app, not a universal keyboard feature.

Travis Rice2

May 25, 2016
Visit site
Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.

If your "Smart Emoji" setting is already off, click it once to check it "on", then again to turn it back off. Just worked here for me just now.

Posted via the Android Central App

That worked. The box was unchecked, but I kept getting those dumb boxes. I had to turn it on to turn it off. Good tip.

M Pez

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
That's EXACTLY what I've been saying, verbatim, lolol!! Love your avatar btw! :)

Me too!!!! Just found this forum, and soooo happy I don't have to want to throw my phone out the window every time I want to text someone, lol!

It does! I just found this forum, and FINALLY just learned how to turn that off, I didn't even know it is called Smart Emoji until now, lol.

Thanks for posting this on the forum, this feature has been driving me CRAZY for months since I bought my phone, and I can FINALLY not want to throw my phone out the window every time I type a message!!!

Last edited by a moderator: