No more gmail notifications/refreshes?!

jimcapraro

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
LOL doogald, great minds think alike - we were both posting at the same time. When we were kids and two of us mentioned the same thing at the same time we used to say: "Pinch, poke, you owe me a coke!"

Posted via Android Central App

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Just got home from the local VZW store. Using their phone, I spent over an hour speaking with tech support (started at tier 2 and ended up with the supervisor of a tech in tier 3).

They cannot figure out why my phone is not receiving Gmail emails even though my settings are all set correctly to make/allow the phone/app to do so. They even went as far as checking other logged calls to tech support in the last 48 hours to scan for other customers who have called in to see if anyone else has been experiencing this problem. Nada.

They had me enter my Gmail info into the Email app.. we tested it with a few test emails and I receive push notifications for my Gmail emails via the Email app without any issues (other than the lowest frequency check in the Email app is 'every 5 min' and not instantaneous as it has been in the Gmail app).

We ended the call with them saying they have no clue as to why my phone is acting this way. Said sometimes deep settings (those the user cannot see or access in the software or whatnot) get changed somehow. Said a factory reset is the only option left on the table. I swore this was the very bottom of the list of options for me and was only to be used in a case of dire necessity and last resort. Well, seems we have exhausted all other avenues and have reached the last resort step. *sigh*

I'll be doing the reset here shortly and will report back with how the Gmail app acts afterward. HOPEFULLY, I will be returning with good news. Here goes nothin..

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Go to your gmail app open it scroll down to settings . click on your email account . first sync all then click on manage labels sync all individual labels and turn on notification sound on each one . make sure in your settings you have it set to notify you for all mail and you have notification sounds enabled . if you have more than one email account set your main account as priority account and your other accounts set to default. This is what the manage labels settings page looks like

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
So I've performed the factory reset and have restored my phone back to all previous settings and apps and personal preferences and whatnot.
Gmail is acting normal again so mission accomplished! Only drawback seems to be my missing text messages. Odd as when I last did a factory reset (due to a different issue), my text messages were restored without me having to do anything. Oh well. Anyone know how to restore these? If not, it's no major loss. I'm just tickled to have Gmail operating within its normal and correct parameters again.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So I've performed the factory reset and have restored my phone back to all previous settings and apps and personal preferences and whatnot.
Gmail is acting normal again so mission accomplished! Only drawback seems to be my missing text messages. Odd as when I last did a factory reset (due to a different issue), my text messages were restored without me having to do anything. Oh well. Anyone know how to restore these? If not, it's no major loss. I'm just tickled to have Gmail operating within its normal and correct parameters again.
Unless you had them backed up somehow, I'm not aware of anyway they would have been restored after a full factory reset on the Turbo.

I use an app that manually backs up my SMS messages. I'll run it from time to time or if when I have to reset.

I don't recall the name, but there are several on the Play Store.

Mr Brainz

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on my HTC One M8. Just started about a week ago. It's driving me crazy. I can't believe that the only solution is to do a complete phone reset. That would be ludicrous!

So far I've:

Cleared GMail data
enable/disabled/enabled sync in various places
Completely removed my Google account and re-added it.

All didn't work.

Any solution please? I don't want to format my phone! :(

KA1OTE

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on my HTC One M8. Just started about a week ago. It's driving me crazy. I can't believe that the only solution is to do a complete phone reset. That would be ludicrous!

So far I've:

Cleared GMail data
enable/disabled/enabled sync in various places
Completely removed my Google account and re-added it.

All didn't work.

Any solution please? I don't want to format my phone! :(

You are experiencing the same issue that I was. You have performed all troubleshooting steps that I did and have ended up with the same results.. nothing worked. I feel you on the topic of not wanting to reset the phone. Trust me I didn't want to! But I had exhausted every other possible method I could come up with. I can report that once I did the reset, all worked fine.. and continues to work fine to this day. I hope it was a fluke and doesn't happen again because having to reset my phone each time Gmail decides to have a hissy fit is NOT something I want to have to repeat. If anyone comes across any method that doesn't require a reset then I am certainly all ears, just in case I ever find myself in that predicament again.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Unless you had them backed up somehow, I'm not aware of anyway they would have been restored after a full factory reset on the Turbo.

I use an app that manually backs up my SMS messages. I'll run it from time to time or if when I have to reset.

I don't recall the name, but there are several on the Play Store.

I use SMS Backup and Restore, set to automatically add to an incremental backup file over wifi on my Google Drive every night...that way I always have my texts, even if my phone is stolen or quits.

Posted via the Turbo

gfaila

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Just got home from the local VZW store. Using their phone, I spent over an hour speaking with tech support (started at tier 2 and ended up with the supervisor of a tech in tier 3).

They cannot figure out why my phone is not receiving Gmail emails even though my settings are all set correctly to make/allow the phone/app to do so. They even went as far as checking other logged calls to tech support in the last 48 hours to scan for other customers who have called in to see if anyone else has been experiencing this problem. Nada.

They had me enter my Gmail info into the Email app.. we tested it with a few test emails and I receive push notifications for my Gmail emails via the Email app without any issues (other than the lowest frequency check in the Email app is 'every 5 min' and not instantaneous as it has been in the Gmail app).

We ended the call with them saying they have no clue as to why my phone is acting this way. Said sometimes deep settings (those the user cannot see or access in the software or whatnot) get changed somehow. Said a factory reset is the only option left on the table. I swore this was the very bottom of the list of options for me and was only to be used in a case of dire necessity and last resort. Well, seems we have exhausted all other avenues and have reached the last resort step. *sigh*

I'll be doing the reset here shortly and will report back with how the Gmail app acts afterward. HOPEFULLY, I will be returning with good news. Here goes nothin..

I was in this EXACT same boat with loads of stuff on my phone that I didn't want to lose with a factory reset. I found a forum post that recommended an app called Force Gmail Sync (play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=forcegmailsync.com). I installed the app and set a sync frequency of 1 minute so now I get my mail instantly again. I also had to install an app called Lollipop WiFi Fix (from the same publisher) to get rid of that irritating exclamation mark next to my WiFi icon but that's a whole other story. Suffice to say my phone works again and I'm overjoyed that I didn't have to wipe it - good luck!

Specul8r75

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem with my gmail (no notifications). I was able to solve the problem by following exactly doogald's suggestion in the first paragraph of his post on 03-06-2015 at 6:38 PM, post #19 in this thread (quoted below).

Open the gmail app. Open the sidebar, slide down and tap settings. Tap your email account. Make sure "notifications" is checked, make sure "sync gmail" is checked under "DATA USAGE". Tap "Inbox sound & vibrate" and make sure "notify for every message" is checked if you want that.

It worked immediately, I didn't have to reboot the phone either. Try it!