New Chrome update deleted all of my bookmarks

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
It has legitamatly happened to me before on the chrome browser for windows. It sucked pretty bad, book marks were fine, if I remember correctly, but all my saved passwords were removed so I had to try to go to all my important websites and enter in the user and password

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It has legitamatly happened to me before on the chrome browser for windows. It sucked pretty bad, book marks were fine, if I remember correctly, but all my saved passwords were removed so I had to try to go to all my important websites and enter in the user and password

You really should use a password manager like lastpass . It is not a good practice to store your login credentials in the browser.

JeffMerr

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

Yea the update did this as well. Pretty annoying.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Exactly why I dont use them! I'd rather have it saved to a google account. If that gets hacked your in trouble either way, better not to bring in a third part also

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Lastpass was not proveably hacked. There were two incidents in 2011 - one of which they detected, which looked like data was being accessed in a way that could have been attempts to hack; later the same year somebody reported a cross-site scripting weakness in 2011. In the first case Lastpass proactively required password changes and for the latter Lastpass closed the hole. There was never an incident where data that came from Lastpass was found, or that data was stolen at all, and there have been no reported security issues since then. If you use a strong password to protect your data, your data at lastpass is extremely secure and you are definitely safer than using the same, memorable password at multiple locations, that's for sure. Whether it is Lastpass, 1password, Dashlane, Roboform - I think that you are safer if you use one of these password managers to create and store random, per-site passphrases, and use two-factor authentication wherever you can (Gmail, Dropbox, Facebook, Twitter, AppleID all support this).

If I were using Chrome to store passwords, and sync them, I think I'd create my own separate passphrase to do so, which is something you can set in the advanced sync settings on a PC.

Last edited:

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
Whether or not it was officially "hacked" I will not trust a third party source or app to hold that kind of information. I do trust google. Yes they do use as much data of yours as they can to give to companies to send ads that interest you and they put lots of information into google search, but, I dont believe google would sell your log in credentials to anyone. I also believe that google is more secure than these third party apps

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a few things: unlike Google, Lastpass cannot read your passwords. They are encrypted on your computer or device before they are uploaded and downloaded as an encrypted blob and decrypted on your device - to Lastpass, everything is just a random blob and even if they get a court order, they cannot decrypt the data in your account. Second, that is not true of Google, unless you use the custom sync passphrase step I listed above.

I also don't think Google will sell passwords. I trust that Lastpass will not, either, despite the fact that they cannot. Once they sell information they will lose many, if not most, of their customers, making their service worthless. Even if they could. (Well, I guess they could sell the email addresses of their customers. )

Enough about Lastpass, I just wanted to clear up the untruth that they were definitively hacked.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I just checked mine and it was set to googles encryption credentials and I changed it to my key phrase, I appreciate you cluing me into that. On the instructions from google it mentioned that any new computer browser needs to have the sync settings updated. Are you aware of any updating that I need to do on my phone?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
On the instructions from google it mentioned that any new computer browser needs to have the sync settings updated. Are you aware of any updating that I need to do on my phone?

The first time that it tries to sync it will prompt you for your sync passphrase (you will get a notification).

Or you can open Chrome, tap menu, settings - tap accounts at the top (it will probably have your name and G+ contact photo, if yours is like mine). Tap your account (it will probably say sync in on). It will have a setting for data types, where you probably have "sync everything" checked. At the bottom there is an option "encryption" that you can tap to set your passphrase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret