01-13-2017 03:38 AM
48 12
tools
    That's because all consumers want is extremely thin phones which are bound to be fragile. And Glass isn't exactly shatterproof no matter how you look at it.
    Then why don't they use bulletproof grade glass? Am sure those who pay $600-1000 for a phone wouldn't mind paying extra for that.
    03-23-2015 08:11 AM
    most people dont pay the FULL retail price for the phone. Yes it is that expensive but most people get a 2 year contract. I got my 64gb for 250 and paid 100 for a lifeproof.
    03-23-2015 09:29 AM
    Then why don't they use bulletproof grade glass? Am sure those who pay $600-1000 for a phone wouldn't mind paying extra for that.
    I'm not sure, but probably because of one of these reasons:

It may be that it is much more expensive to make

It may be that it is impossible to make at the amounts required for the numbers of phones made

It may be that the bulletproof glass, while good at stopping projectiles from passing through it, it not so good at functioning as a thin, transparent, slightly flexible display glass. Bulletproof glass still shatters when struck by bullets - it just either stops them from passing through, or at least slows them down.

Bulletproof glass, when used in functions where it is meant to stop bullets - automobiles, windows, etc. - is usually very thick, right?
    03-23-2015 09:39 AM
    Bulletproof glass, when used in functions where it is meant to stop bullets - automobiles, windows, etc. - is usually very thick, right?
    And heavy. Also, would negate the touch screen, which might be an issue for a phone.
    03-23-2015 09:56 AM
    I just saw yet another Kindle Fire commercial last night where they showed one of their tablet devices falling and bouncing off the ground, without issue. How about building a phone with whatever material they're using? It's obvious that the products/materials are available.
    03-23-2015 10:19 AM
    I hate to admit it, but I've dropped this phone more than any other phone I've had -- maybe I'm just getting more clumsy in my old age (actually, strike the "maybe"). I dropped it this morning in my driveway. A solid 3 and a half foot dive, and I think I even fumbled it a bit to give it that extra launch into the air to ensure maximum disaster at impact.

The good news is the phone is "fine" -- no screen breakage and no functionality issues. The bad news is that I do now have two battle scars on the top and bottom right corners. Driveways are coarse, so I wasn't too surprised. It isn't real obvious -- you have to look to notice. I know, "a case would have prevented that". I don't care, I'm still carrying naked until I break a screen.

Also, this thing is a tank.
    03-23-2015 03:23 PM
    I think Motorola's in general are tanks. Any Motorola droid I have seen has a good build quality, certainly better than that if Samsung. Samsung's feel really cheap, Motorola's feel solid.
    03-23-2015 03:31 PM
    Let me guess, you were probably getting in or out of your car with a bunch of stuff in your hand, or something like that. I haven't had a scary drop yet with my naked Turbo, but I will. It's only a matter of time!
    03-23-2015 04:10 PM
    Let me guess, you were probably getting in or out of your car with a bunch of stuff in your hand, or something like that. I haven't had a scary drop yet with my naked Turbo, but I will. It's only a matter of time!
    Bingo (or close enough - on my way to the car). I was coming down the stairs when I realized I had set my home alarm incorrectly, and was fishing my phone out to cancel and reset the alarm.
    03-23-2015 04:30 PM
    Does the free screen replacement work for phones that were bought on ebay? I bought one "brand new" off ebay, dropped it 2 days ago, screen cracked and no display. Anybody know? thanks!
    05-01-2015 06:08 AM
    Does the free screen replacement work for phones that were bought on ebay? I bought one "brand new" off ebay, dropped it 2 days ago, screen cracked and no display. Anybody know? thanks!
    You'd have to call and find out. I wouldn't think so but if the retailer was legitimate and you are the first owner it may cover you. Call Verizon Wireless and inquire about a replacement. I recommend not saying where you bought the device just in case because some representatives may be a bit odd about that.

Verizon Customer Care just opened a few minutes ago, or at least they are by me (Central Time).
    05-01-2015 07:04 AM
    It all depends on how it impacts the ground (or whatever it hits). If it hits in such a way that focuses the forces into a small area (an edge), it will increase the chances of the screen breaking. I've bounced many phones off things over the years, and I got lucky MOST of the time. My 2013 Moto X fell out of my shirt pocket barely one foot from the ground, and hit in such a way that put a small nick in the glass. Two hours later that nick spread into a crack. You will never have a perfectly protected phone, no matter what the case is. It's just how it is with glass screens. If they could make a plastic screen that wasn't terrible feeling, that would be nice.
    05-06-2015 09:45 PM
    I gave my daughter my droid turbo and she broke the screen, took it to the verizon store and they ordered me a like new replacement. No hassle, and when the new one came in i put it in an otterbox defender lol.

The replacement policy worked great, the only hold up was the weather delayed us getting the replacement by a few days.

Props to motorola and verizon on that one.

** gotta love old threads brought back to life**

Note4 Verizon
    05-13-2015 06:55 AM
    I just dropped m y Droid Turbo from around 3 feet onto the hardwood floor and the screen cracked.... grrr... As I'm leaving the country in a few days, I need it fixed or a replacement FAST. I'll call a Verizon store as soon as they open. Now time to find a better case...
    06-13-2015 08:09 AM
    I dropped my verizon powered Turbo a week ago and had heard of Motorola replacing the phone due to a broken screen. Apparently, this was true... Went in store on Tuesday afternoon, had "new" phone in mail Friday. They say it's hard to crack the Corning Ware gorilla glass, and they'll supply you with a replacement ONCE. If my screen breaks again, I'll have to pony up on insurance.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-30-2015 11:11 PM
    I dropped my verizon powered Turbo a week ago and had heard of Motorola replacing the phone due to a broken screen. Apparently, this was true... Went in store on Tuesday afternoon, had "new" phone in mail Friday. They say it's hard to crack the Corning Ware gorilla glass, and they'll supply you with a replacement ONCE. If my screen breaks again, I'll have to pony up on insurance.

Posted via the Android Central App
    You have to pony up on insurance before it breaks lol

Gorilla Glass cracks easily. I don't care what anyone says. It may be better than normal glass but its easy to crack during a drop.
    07-01-2015 02:38 AM
    You should go to Motorola. They charge $125+tax to give you a new phone
    07-08-2015 09:46 PM
    My wife scratched her phone screen bad, literally, a week after we got them back in November. Almost cashed in the replacement then, but decided to hold off. Glad we did. She dropped her phone at the pool today and the screen cracked from top to bottom. She's going to the VZW store tomorrow to start the replacement process. Though, with at least another year in contract, I don't have high hopes for the well being of her replacement.

Quick question though: Has anyone found it better to go through Motorola direct for the replacement? Or is using Big Red good with similar results? TIA.
    07-27-2015 05:55 PM
    So, my wife went to a Big Red corporate store today to start the replacement process. The employees were obviously less than knowledgeable.
    - They first told her it was an insurance claim, and insisted it be handled as such.
    - After I shot that down via text, they tried to pass it off as a warranty that needed to be handled via Moto.
    - Again, I shot that down via text. Finally, they actually checked the system and found the screen replacement warranty.

I can only imagine how many less aware customers they screw over simply because they aren't as well versed in their job as they should be.

My wife's factory refurb should be in tomorrow. Here's hoping it isn't a lemon.
    VZWsucks likes this.
    07-28-2015 12:41 PM
    Reviving this old thread with a post-Lenovo update...

My launch-day Turbo couldn't stand up to my curious 6 year-old, and suffered a hairline crack.

I called 611 and asked about the free screen replacement. In less than 15 minutes and only one transfer to a different service rep, a refurb was being readied for complimentary 2-day delivery, along with a postage-paid return label for my current Turbo.

What's more, I purchased my device outright and am not under contract (grandfathered unlimited data plan), and the material I read lead me to believe this offer was only extended to owners under contract and/or making payments.

Best of all, my current phone has been suffering from low speaker volume and phantom screen presses, so I'm hopeful the refurbished device addresses both of those issues without presenting any new ones.

So, for absolutely zero dollars out-of-pocket, I remain on the road to two years of satisfactory ownership.
    VZWsucks and mrtonk like this.
    02-26-2016 11:15 PM
    Has anyone actually figured it out because I've done everything suggested and I still can't find out how to get my screen replaced. I'd prefer not to spend money I don't have because I am too stupid to figure it out or because I was lied to.
    10-17-2016 08:31 PM
    Has anyone actually figured it out because I've done everything suggested and I still can't find out how to get my screen replaced. I'd prefer not to spend money I don't have because I am too stupid to figure it out or because I was lied to.
    If you mean screen assurance, here is the FAQ: http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=O8X-dQyc

See number 3 and number 4:

How do I know if I'm eligible for Droid Turbo Screen Assurance?
    With your purchase of a Droid Turbo, you are automatically eligible for Droid Turbo Screen Assurance*. The one time free screen repair eligibility lasts for a period of 2 years from the date of your purchase.

*The Screen Assurance program is not available for Droid Turbo in Blue Ballistic Nylon purchased at Best Buy.
    How do I make a claim for Droid Turbo Screen Assurance?
    To make your claim, you can either call into Customer Service at (800) 922-0204 or visit a Verizon Wireless retail store to order your replacement device.
    So, if your Turbo was bought less than two years ago (since it came out October 30, 2014, it must be) and isn't the ballistic nylon version bought at Best Buy, you should be able to get the phone replaced.
    benjamminh likes this.
    10-17-2016 08:42 PM
    Guys -- I dropped my turbo this morning and now I have a crack in the screen. I seem to remember something about 1 free screen replacement as a deal when they first came out. Is this true and how to I partake in this?

Thanks!
    yes it is true they will replace the phone with a refurbished phone unfortunately
    01-13-2017 03:38 AM
48 12