Compression of Photos/Videos

PretoEvo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My wife frequently sends videos from her iPhone 6 to my Turbo over SMS. The video quality is never very good, but it does allow her to send.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My wife frequently sends videos from her iPhone 6 to my Turbo over SMS. The video quality is never very good, but it does allow her to send.

That's likely, because as it has been covered, iOS compresses the video enough to be sent via a reduction of bitrate and quality.

Also, I use the stock messaging app and sending the full size pictures has never been an issue. A minor annoyance is only being able to send one pic at a time. I have little need to text video though, so not concerned about that anyway.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do you have unlimited data and a strong signal? I have neither.

Not sure if this is directed to me, but no and yes. Typically I am on WiFi anyway, but we have a 10gb shared plan and rarely even come close to 5gb between us per month. If data and signal strength are your issue, WiFi hotspots are your friend.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
For the purpose of MMS sending and receiving, data caps are unimportant - the data does not count against your plan. In the case of sending GMail attachments, though, of course it does matter.

I use an app called ResizeMe to resize photos down before I email them to people when I know the full fidelity is unimportant.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't usually text, I mostly use my phone as a portable email device. I might also upload a photo to g+ or something. Both of those work better with smaller files, especially since i do pay for data, and often have poor coverage. And no, there isn't always a Wi-Fi signal handy-by, either. I am astonished at how many people seem live entirely within WiFi, ask i can say that I don't.

And, of course, I store my photos on both the phone and a computer, and I'd prefer not to waste space with lots of enormous files.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
As said in the previous thread, your best bet is to go into the settings of your camera app and lower the amount of megapixels

That's not possible. My understanding is that if I give up the handy "twist to turn on camera" feature, I could use a different camera app with that option. I may do that. For now, I'm just grousing that lowering the resolution isn't a standard feature in this phone.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
That's not possible. My understanding is that if I give up the handy "twist to turn on camera" feature, I could use a different camera app with that option. I may do that. For now, I'm just grousing that lowering the resolution isn't a standard feature in this phone.

If you switch from from 4:3 (standard) to 16:9 (widescreen), the Mp goes from 21 to 15.5. So you can reduce the size, a little.

See https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/102322/p/30,6720,9277

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure if the twist feature works with any other camera app. I disabled all the moto crapware. But the thing is what's more important to you? Twisting to take a picture or the right size?

n1jfd

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
This might be a little late and hopefully of use, but I have been using the Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254 for just about 2 months and it took me until the last 3 weeks to catch this handy hidden feature to reduce the picture sizes by compression.
You can only do it in the gallery view mode, and while editing the photo, during the process, you have to make a substantive change or at least select crop and select the entire area again, then choose "export" from the three dot upper right menu and then save after choosing from the slide bar the file size.
I always found myself with 3 photos afterwards, the original in full sizes and everything, then the reduced for texting, or uploading for my Drive or website, then the "happy medium".
Then I pick the best of three and delete the rest before my backup service saves too many later on.
(Unlimited data plan with big red, and they can't stand I won't give it up!)

Unfortunately, with the Google or Android camera, I didn't have that much to offer except that the Motorola was just as good for me and I tried them both. I use the camera a lot for up close shots of disassembled or works in progress jobs to document them and catalog the work extensively and and wish I can hopefully find a way to figure this out quickly on the S5 or Note 4 or I'll be stuck with the Motorola.
(FWIW)

Becherovka78

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
JPEG Quality on camera FX is the best way I have found to decrease size of file. And to be honest I struggle to see the difference between 100% and 70% but the size is about 1/3 the size. To do this go to settings save then JPEG quality down the bottom.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I would imagine you dont see a significant difference in quality because your reducing the pixels by 30% and your reducing the size by about 30% which means that the ppi (which is a ratio) would be very similar