Anything better than Chrome on the turb

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm really sick of waiting on google before the page loads. 15-30 seconds all...the.......time

In Chrome, menu / settings / Reduce data usage - is it off or on? Does switching that help?

Is this happening only on mobile data, only on WiFi, or all of the time? If it's only on WiFi, I wonder if it is a DNS server issue?

I know a lot of people like Dolphin browser, there is also Firefox. Either of those may be worth a try.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm really sick of waiting on google before the page loads. 15-30 seconds all...the.......time

There is something wrong if you have to wait that long for a page to load and it's not Chrome. Are you using WiFi or Verizon data? If you're using Verizon, what G is it?

silverback

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
In Chrome, menu / settings / Reduce data usage - is it off or on? Does switching that help?

Is this happening only on mobile data, only on WiFi, or all of the time? If it's only on WiFi, I wonder if it is a DNS server issue?

I know a lot of people like Dolphin browser, there is also Firefox. Either of those may be worth a try.
Doesnt matter if its WiFi or Verizon. It gets stuck on a google page and won't load. Always. Either Google ad services or some other tracking page insert. I can't even ping my router config page on my own WiFi without google.what.the.heck.ever blocks it by not loading.

Reboot, cache clear, reinstall, etc have not helped. I Tapatalk works, Pandora works, any other data using app works fine. Chrome doesnt.

Nice to know its NOT chrome though...

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There is something wrong if you have to wait that long for a page to load and it's not Chrome. Are you using WiFi or Verizon data? If you're using Verizon, what G is it?
I agree, Chrome is near instant for me. That said, I do like the Baidu & CM Browsers a lot. I tend to use all of these for different things.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Load times for Chrome and CM browser are slow on Wi-Fi for me and very fast on Verizon. I have Charter 60 mg internet.

Try changing your router's dns settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (and then shut down and restart wifi on the phone) - Google's dns servers. Could be the name server lookups are taking too long...

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Doesnt matter if its WiFi or Verizon. It gets stuck on a google page and won't load. Always. Either Google ad services or some other tracking page insert. I can't even ping my router config page on my own WiFi without google.what.the.heck.ever blocks it by not loading.

Reboot, cache clear, reinstall, etc have not helped. I Tapatalk works, Pandora works, any other data using app works fine. Chrome doesnt.

Nice to know its NOT chrome though...

I have the opposite problem. Tapatalk is slow as molasses unless I am on Wi-Fi. So slow that it often times out and refuses to load pages at all. I can load the same page easily in Chrome, or Dolphin, or Firefox.

Any suggestions?

kmf1

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I use Dolphin with Dolphin Jetpack. Very fast and reliable. I don't like the mobile version of Chrome. It's fine on my computer.

edistopre

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've used Puffin for a couple years now, and find it to be consistently the fastest browser I've tried on Android. Have tested about 7 or so, and always come back to Puffin.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've used Puffin for a couple years now, and find it to be consistently the fastest browser I've tried on Android. Have tested about 7 or so, and always come back to Puffin.

What I don't like about Puffin is that it is a caching browser - it downloads your pages to its servers, which renders it, and you just see the result, rather than downloading the page to your phone and a browser like Chrome rendering the page. So, if you browse to anything private you have to trust the people at Puffin, who can see everything.

I think I'd trust Opera and use Opera Mini over whoever owns Puffin. Unless, of course, you never browse to anything that might lead to private details about you.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Since the last play store update, I've found Chrome to be working extremely well and quick.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo
Chrome works better & faster on the Turbo than any other phone I've seen. Amazing difference between the Turbo & my Maxx that I attribute to the hardware horsepower difference.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I really think Opera Mobile gets overlooked too often. It's the Chrome rendering engine, but it gets rid of Font-Boosting (YAY!) and returns to Text-Wrapping. It also gives you a real tabs mode (Chrome sucks when it comes to tab management) by enabling Tablet mode, which works great on the Turbo.

I used to use Dolphin with Jetpack, but lately it seems to be getting more unstable, and is generally just not that great anymore.

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I really think Opera Mobile gets overlooked too often. It's the Chrome rendering engine, but it gets rid of Font-Boosting (YAY!) and returns to Text-Wrapping. It also gives you a real tabs mode (Chrome sucks when it comes to tab management) by enabling Tablet mode, which works great on the Turbo.

I used to use Dolphin with Jetpack, but lately it seems to be getting more unstable, and is generally just not that great anymore.
The problem is Opera Mini does not work atleast half of the time. When it does work its super fast though. Another issue is a LOT of times web pages are not displayed or function properly on Opera Mini making it almost useless for complex Web pages.
Try UC browser..

Sent Using SMS
Yup I use UC as my primary browser. Its good but the damn thing gobbles up a lot of data even on data saving mode so i use UC Mini which is way more data efficient but unfortunately not as good as UC.
Damn thing is there is no single browser that is FAST, saves lots of data and functions great at the same time.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The problem is Opera Mini does not work atleast half of the time. When it does work its super fast though. Another issue is a LOT of times web pages are not displayed or function properly on Opera Mini making it almost useless for complex Web pages.

Opera Mini and Opera Mobile (it's really called opera for android now) are two different browsers. Mini has the Opera server download and render your pages, then sending the display to you. Mobile is more like chrome and dolphin - it renders pages on the device, just like a desktop browser.