Video output capable?

TurboCommander

Mar 15, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way via USB or some other cable or wired adapter to output video to a projector or TV with an HDMI input?

I know I did this via cable on either a S5 or maybe it was a Note 4. Can Droid Turbo?

I see there is a software solution in Settings, Device, Display, Cast Screen, I don't know anything about that.

teeitupmo#WN

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
That's for Miracast capable devices. You can mirror your Turbo display on your TV via the device, such as Amazon's FireTV and Roku3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I think its a shame they took out the HDMI port, I loved it on my droid x. Only problem with it then was since my phone was single core as soon as you plugged it into a TV, whatever screen was on your x was frozen on it but the TV would be live 720p of what would be in your phone. The droid x2 took care of that with mirroring displays because the dual core could handle it. Too bad the turbo doesn't have that!

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I think its a shame they took out the HDMI port, I loved it on my droid x. Only problem with it then was since my phone was single core as soon as you plugged it into a TV, whatever screen was on your x was frozen on it but the TV would be live 720p of what would be in your phone. The droid x2 took care of that with mirroring displays because the dual core could handle it. Too bad the turbo doesn't have that!
Agreed. I know the world is moving toward wireless video connectivity, but we're a long way from ubiquity, so wired video exclusion is almost sinful for a flagship phone. Next week I'll be receiving my new 80" TV with built in Miracast, which is the bee's knees, but that does me no good if I'm visiting friend or family members and would like to display phone content on their TV.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I know the world is moving toward wireless video connectivity, but we're a long way from ubiquity, so wired video exclusion is almost sinful for a flagship phone. Next week I'll be receiving my new 80" TV with built in Miracast, which is the bee's knees, but that does me no good if I'm visiting friend or family members and would like to display phone content on their TV.

Remember........... Big Brother will not only be watching/listening to you on your smartphone, but on your TV as well now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I am sure that the number of people who actually used wired connection to video was a rounding error compared with total sales. I'd rather they engineer a smaller phone or a larger battery, or better specs otherwise rather than take the space for a video connector that probably over 99% of people never use.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried Chromecast? That's the best use of the "cast screen" command IMHO. Small enough to haul around with you and plug into anything with an HDMI port. Works like magic.

You can get one for under $35, and Google is constantly giving stuff away with them (movie rentals, Hulu trials, etc) to sweeten the deal.

Posted via the Turbo

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I have never used chromecast, can it display the turbos screen onto the tv?

Yes, it's basically a WiFi output to your TV. You can even mirror the phone screen directly in addition to casting movies, Netflix, Pandora etc to your TV. One tech reviewer (maybe Phil?) said if you're not using Chromecast with your android, you're not doing it right.

Posted via the Turbo

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried Chromecast? That's the best use of the "cast screen" command IMHO. Small enough to haul around with you and plug into anything with an HDMI port. Works like magic.

You can get one for under $35, and Google is constantly giving stuff away with them (movie rentals, Hulu trials, etc) to sweeten the deal.

Posted via the Turbo
Actually, that's not a bad idea, and I own one. I rarely use it due to the limited functionality it had when first released (I use Fire TV for all my streaming). I really should play around with it some more now that's it's received several updates and more application support.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Jeez thank you, I guess Ill have to buy one!

Can you turn off the phones screen and have it use the tv? thatll save alot of battery watching movies

I'm not sure about mirroring the display of your phone, but when you cast video from your phone using an app that support casting, like Netflix, the video shows up only on the TV. Your phone acts as a controller and, yes, the display can be powered off and on.

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's basically a WiFi output to your TV. You can even mirror the phone screen directly in addition to casting movies, Netflix, Pandora etc to your TV. One tech reviewer (maybe Phil?) said if you're not using Chromecast with your android, you're not doing it right.

Posted via the Turbo

... or it may mean that you don't have a TV that allows the proper hook-up/connection for the Chromecast device.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh I was hoping it would mirror the screen, thats a shame I really enjoyed that on my droid x. Also I liked the FM radio.

It might be able to do that. I've never wanted to. When it comes to quality of the display, though, it will be better to let the chromecast download material itself rather than mirror the display. At least that's my understanding of the way that chromecast works best.

Honestly, I usually cast from my iPad, which has a better battery than my phone and is easier to use. And right now my chromecast has been temporarily retired for a roku 3.

Codger1212

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it does mirror the screen with chromecast. Go into the chromecast app and activate screen cast. It says its in beta and might not work with all devices. Worked with my turbo. Found this about a week ago.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc