Consensus on the Droid Turbo Wi-Fi issue?

joems

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I created this account just to post that Riccochet is awesome. I had done just about everything to my phone to get it to work.

I have a ubiquity WAP in the office and so I added another WAP just for my phones use and I can stream my music again.

Thank you Riccochet!!!

Others take notice, please try this if using a ubiquity device, it works.

I am just about ready to purchase a Droid Turbo and I just saw this by chance. Just to be clear you purchased another AP and added to your network just so your phone could connect? Or did you add something to the Unify admin to allow this to happen? Let me know please.

joems

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Being in IT I get to play with a lot of devices. I've noticed a severe lack of WiFi compatibility with the Droid Turbo.

Ubiquity UniFi access points are a no-go no matter the setting. TKIP or AES encryption. I can pull an IP address, but there is no throughput. I've tested this with multiple UniFi AP's on various version of firmware.

Motorola/Arris small business gateways, like the SBG6580, have the slow to respond issue. It'll connect just fine, but takes a very long time to initiate traffic. IE: I can try to bring up androidcentral.com and it'll take 30-60 seconds just to load the page. An additional 30-60 seconds for every page/refresh.

Linksys/Cisco cheap access points/routers (WAP/WRT series, E1xxx series) work flawlessly.

Netgear N300/600 no issues

Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk works fine, but don't use a AC1200 range extender or you'll have the slow page load issue. Strangest damn thing.

Asus is pretty much Netgear on the inside.

These are just my results through testing setting up devices for clients.

riccochet

Do you know if the new AP firmware for Ubiquiti - Unifi released July 1,2015 had resolved the Turbo connection issue? In the release note from Ubiquiti it states "Improve wireless connection stability with certain mobile devices on UAP-AC/UAP-AC-Outdoor." for version 3.2.12

I am about to purchase 15 Turbos for the company and we are running Ubiquity at the office. Yikes.

Thanks

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Being in IT I get to play with a lot of devices. I've noticed a severe lack of WiFi compatibility with the Droid Turbo.

Motorola/Arris small business gateways, like the SBG6580, have the slow to respond issue. It'll connect just fine, but takes a very long time to initiate traffic. IE: I can try to bring up androidcentral.com and it'll take 30-60 seconds just to load the page. An additional 30-60 seconds for every page/refresh.

These are just my results through testing setting up devices for clients.

Just re-read this thread and found this comment interesting. I just replaced my Docsis 2.0 router with the Arris SBG6580 to take advantage of Cox's improved speeds, and my WiFi speeds went from around 15 Mbps to around 40... and my page loads are quite fast (just tested AndroidCentral.com and each page takes maybe a bit over one second to load).

PS. I've never had any WiFi problems with my Turbo. Home, public, work... all have been fine.

Posted via Moto Turbo

dbrii

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
A WiFi issue I have run into recently (believe it is only post Lollipop) is that my phone will show that it is still connected to my home WiFi even though I am well out of range. For example, yesterday I left my house and was 20 miles away when I looked at my phone and saw my WiFi symbol had an exclamation point next to it, as did my 4G symbol. When I looked at my connection details it showed me as still connected to my home WiFi which it obviously was not. Once I turned off WiFi the phone connected to 4G and a handful of emails arrived that had been in queue but hadn't downloaded because the phone couldn't connect to my home WiFi, and it had not switched to 4G.

I turned WiFi back on, and it still showed me as connected to my home WiFi. Turned WiFi off and on again and had the same result. I then turned on and off Airplane mode (which has worked as a reset for me in the past) and my connections went back to normal.

This has happened to me a handful of times. Anyone have a resolution or has anyone else had this experience?

Karl Turbo

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
A WiFi issue I have run into recently (believe it is only post Lollipop) is that my phone will show that it is still connected to my home WiFi even though I am well out of range. For example, yesterday I left my house and was 20 miles away when I looked at my phone and saw my WiFi symbol had an exclamation point next to it, as did my 4G symbol. When I looked at my connection details it showed me as still connected to my home WiFi which it obviously was not. Once I turned off WiFi the phone connected to 4G and a handful of emails arrived that had been in queue but hadn't downloaded because the phone couldn't connect to my home WiFi, and it had not switched to 4G.

I turned WiFi back on, and it still showed me as connected to my home WiFi. Turned WiFi off and on again and had the same result. I then turned on and off Airplane mode (which has worked as a reset for me in the past) and my connections went back to normal.

This has happened to me a handful of times. Anyone have a resolution or has anyone else had this experience?

I've had this happen to me several times in the past. In one instance I was forced to reboot the phone to fix the connection issues.

tmcmack

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
A WiFi issue I have run into recently (believe it is only post Lollipop) is that my phone will show that it is still connected to my home WiFi even though I am well out of range.

My issue is definitely post-lollipop, and might be related. I work in a big building with lots of wi-fi APs with the same SSID. Pre-lollipop, I had no problem walking around the building; the Turbo would switch APs on the fly as I move around for a steady wifi connection. Never had a problem with that with other phones, too.

Now that I have 5.1, whenever I move around the building I lose my wifi connection. 50 feet down the hall, boom, now I'm on mobile data. Eventually it'll get back on wifi if I don't do anything.

I also notice it at home, where I have a single router. I've been home for a few hours and when I pick up my phone, it's using mobile data instead of wifi.

Anybody else have problems like that? Wondering if a wifi connection control app would help with that.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Definitely a LP issue, only question is if its just on the Turbo or other devices as well?

Posted via the Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Definitely a LP issue, only question is if its just on the Turbo or other devices as well?

Posted via the Android Central App

I have not experienced this but that doesn't mean it's not happening. Did anyone with this issue try a factory reset? I know that's extreme but I did do a factory reset right after I installed Lollipop so I wonder if this is why I'm fine.

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I hadn't had any problems until this week. Earlier in the week I came home and noticed my phone wasn't connected to my wifi. I went in to the settings to connect and it didn't even see my home router. I rebooted and when it came up it connected as usual. Today at work, when I got back from lunch my phone didn't connect to the wifi there. Again, I went into the settings and this time it saw the network but when I tried to connect it asked for the password as if it was a new connection even though I've been using it for a year. This time instead of rebooting I just turned the wifi off and back on and it connected.

Zimbo65

Oct 8, 2016
Visit site
At the school I work at there are a few Apple Airports within the buildings and my Droid Turbo constantly freezes and reboots when I am using the wifi there.
At home where I have a Netgear router and an Arris Gateway I have no problems.

BrandonBELB365

Jan 9, 2017
Visit site
If you believe everything you read or hear, you'll never do anything. There is no WiFi issue

I just read your comment and I don't believe you. There is most definitely an issue with WiFi, I am experiencing it right now on my Droid Turbo 2, which refuses to connect to my WiFi network, or even identify my network when I am right next to the router. And when I enter the info for the network it doesN'T do anything, IT JUST GOES BACK TO SEARCHING FOR NETWORKS so there is most DEFINATELY an issue with WiFi on these devices.