Thinking of upgrading to Turbo

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
If you're upgrading to a Turbo from a Razr the differences will blow you away. I upgraded to a Maxx from a Razr M and I must say it is the best upgrade I've made in my life.

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If you're upgrading to a Turbo from a Razr the differences will blow you away. I upgraded to a Maxx from a Razr M and I must say it is the best upgrade I've made in my life.

The Droid Maxx didn't get much love (sort of in the S5/M9 "it isn't enough of an upgrade" camp in reviews...and being a Verizon exclusive doesn't help any of these phones with widespread appeal), but I maintain even now it's a fine handset. I still have mine and when I boot it up occassionaly, I enjoy it in hand more than the Turbo. In practice, at the end, the camera gave me better motion shots than the Turbo does now. The battery was almsot as long lasting as my Turbo's. The screen is noticably less when going back to it from the Turbo, though.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, Motorola is second best in terms of reception. Better by a long throw is Blackberry. There are three zones of death around my house. My Turbo, '14 X, Droid Maxx and Maxx HD, G3 and HTC One M8 all drop calls there. The BB Z30 does not. In fact I should have mentioned it when discussing battery on another thread. The Z30 is darn good there too. If only the OS had a better app selection.

I had the Blackberry Tour, and for what it was, it was a good performer. I've actually never looked at dBm on a Blackberry. I did, however, compare every Android against the other, and Motorola produced the "less negative" reading. LG was a very close second. The Samsung S4 was awful. That's around the time my interests in Motorola grew.

I'll take your word that Blackberry owns the throne regarding reception. But Motorola must be at least close. I think sacrificing the Android OS for Blackberry's OS is a big tradeoff.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the Blackberry Tour, and for what it was, it was a good performer. I've actually never looked at dBm on a Blackberry. I did, however, compare every Android against the other, and Motorola produced the "less negative" reading. LG was a very close second. The Samsung S4 was awful. That's around the time my interests in Motorola grew.

I'll take your word that Blackberry owns the throne regarding reception. But Motorola must be at least close. I think sacrificing the Android OS for Blackberry's OS is a big tradeoff.

I like the BB OS, but while the ability to run Android apps (well, a lot of them anyway - not all) helps, it's kind of a steep tradeoff I agree. But I stil keep the Z30 around. If I travel, it comes with me because it's a good pocket size, sound is awesome, battery lasts almost forever and it runs enough of the apps I need to keep me happy. Plus the BB travel app is the best going.

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I went in today ... and... they didn't have a 'live' turbo to play with only the model of what it looks like. Really? She did pull one out of their stockroom to show me ... They didn't have any of the kelvar ones... and this girl didn't know it came in blue and knew nothing about the $100 trade in, but looked on the site (where she discovered the blue) and said I have to upgrade online to get it. It doesn't seem they sell many turbos at this location... 'I did sell a red one once...' A little bummed I didn't get to try it out, but I did snap some pics with the note 4, which came out good.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I went in today ... and... they didn't have a 'live' turbo to play with only the model of what it looks like. Really? She did pull one out of their stockroom to show me ... They didn't have any of the kelvar ones... and this girl didn't know it came in blue and knew nothing about the $100 trade in, but looked on the site (where she discovered the blue) and said I have to upgrade online to get it. It doesn't seem they sell many turbos at this location... 'I did sell a red one once...' A little bummed I didn't get to try it out, but I did snap some pics with the note 4, which came out good.

I went into the store to do an early edge upgrade, and the guy told me the $100 was for trading my phone in if my contact were up. With early edge you just have to give up the phone that's on your line. He said I could bring an old phone in and get the $100 for that as well. This was less than 2 weeks ago. The associate you talked to just didn't know what she was taking about. I'm not 100% certain that my guy was correct about trading another phone in for $100, but they would have definitely done it for me in store if I were at the end of my contract. Maybe try again at another store if you can.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Go to a corporate store, they will have it. It is Verizon's flagship "droid" phone. I traded in a boost phone for the $100 credit, so did my wife! We gave back droid dnas, got on edge and never looked back... In three months, I have yet to hear my wife say "I need to plug in my battery is low"!! I have a 64 nylon she has a metalized Kevlar.. I couldn't wait to get it ...asap.. when it was released! And you get one free screen replacement! And the turbo charger is icing on the cake!

DRoID TuRBo this...

GPITTS1069

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I love Motorola phones period. Now I have to choose between two of them. This is a first for me. It's like choosing between two beautiful women; who is the best match for you though. I have the Droid Maxx and I just went and got the Turbo a few days ago. The Turbo has a beast of a battery, wireless charging, 21 MP camera, moves super fast (faster than my tablet and laptop), built like a tank ( I got the ballistic nylon 64gb model). The down side is the Turbo is made so that you can't talk and use data simultaneous unless you have Verizon's VOLte. It was explained to me as previous phones were made with two radios; one for talk and one for web, now they're only being made with one. Still love the phone because I was able to fix the issue with the phone dropping calls because of the VoLte.
Now..............I'm seeing the new Motorola phones coming out and it makes me think that I moved prematurely. My Maxx isn't doing much less that the Turbo; probably a little slower but not noticeably now that I have both of them side by side. I'm really thinking of taking this back to Verizon before my 14 days are up and sitting and waiting for the Pure or this Turbo 2 (or whatever they're going to name it). The Moto X Pure Edition has some of the same features as the Turbo but it's bigger with a couple of tweeks (I guess it's a matter of preference). For me I guess I waited long enough to see the Turbo evolve but not long enough to see some of the newer Motorola phones come out to make a better choice. That's killing me!!!!

GPITTS1069

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess that Edge Program is a matter of preference. I will never give up my Loyalty Single Line Plan. I'm grandfathered in. I can still get a two year contract and a discounted phone. That Edge Program has it's pros and cons but I guess if you have to have it; it is what it is.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that the moto X pure edition (and all future phones) will have the same limitation of needing VoLTE for talk and data unless you're on wifi.

I'd return the turbo if you're ok with the larger physical size of this year's phones. The cameras will be better, and you won't be spending an every two year upgrade on a year old phone - that makes no sense to me. I still have a Maxx and will be upgrading this fall, and I'm sure I'd be annoyed at myself two years from now for having to use a three year old phone when it wasn't necessary. That said, I have switched to the new plans, mostly because it saves me money, so I suppose I can upgrade next year if I really want to. But, if I were you, I'd stick with the Maxx for another month or two and see what's new this fall.

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
If it were me I would live with the Droid Maxx for another month, to see what the Turbo 2 looks like, its due out in October. The rumors seem firm about larger screen size and leaks of the form factor, the unknown is the "unbreakable display" chatter, which may be a very nice feature. It seems like this years Motorola phones have given up wireless charging, which is a biggy for me, maybe not for you. One thing for sure when the next gen Turbo comes out, if its not a slam dunk for you, the original Turbo should be heavily discounted and a better deal than now.

GPITTS1069

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I agree with you 100%! My Maxx hasn't given me any problems at all. I was probably just jumpy now that it's time for my 2 year contract to expire. There is no sense in purchasing a phone that is already a year old when I can wait and see some of the newest technology; especially when it's probably ging to be 2 years before i get another one. I'm going to return the Turbo before my 14 days is up and sit tight to see what Motorola and Verizon come up with next. I really want to buy the phone through Verizon as opposed to going straight through Motorola just because of the coverage I pay for every month. Verizon has done a great job in my past experience with backing their merchandise. I like being able to bring in the device or call and let them handle all the red tape just mail me out another device. I like the new size and features of the Pure. I'd even like to see if they're actually going to come out with a Turbo 2; like the rumor. I appreciate your input. On another note has anyone heard of any good cases for the massive phones??? I've actually been getting my cases custom made in leather with a sturdy belt loop instead of these cheap plastic clips they're putting out now.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
For what it's worth, I don't think we'll ever see a sequel that can hold up to the Turbo 1's battery power...there's not a single model out there across all brands that match this thing!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm really thinking of taking this back to Verizon before my 14 days are up and sitting and waiting for the Pure or this Turbo 2 (or whatever they're going to name it). The Moto X Pure Edition has some of the same features as the Turbo but it's bigger with a couple of tweeks (I guess it's a matter of preference). For me I guess I waited long enough to see the Turbo evolve but not long enough to see some of the newer Motorola phones come out to make a better choice. That's killing me!!!!

Moto X Pure has a smallish battery. I could never go back to the days of looking to charge my phone around 5 pm ever again. For that reason alone the Moto X Pure is off my list. Also does not have AMOLED display. Reviews say the display looks washed out. And no wireless charging.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Moto X Pure has a smallish battery. I could never go back to the days of looking to charge my phone around 5 pm ever again. For that reason alone the Moto X Pure is off my list. Also does not have AMOLED display. Reviews say the display looks washed out. And no wireless charging.

I'm not GPITSS1069, but with fast charging these days I'm not sure that having a medium sized battery is all that terrible anymore, as I think we can all find times (driving, sitting at a desk, etc.) when we can sneak in several minutes of charging during the day. It doesn't have to be a full charge, just enough to give you another 10 to 50 percent. Also, we were talking about waiting for what Verizon offers in the Droid series later this fall, and rumors sure make it sound like any new Droids this year will have different specs from the X Pure and X Play, including larger batteries and even wireless charging.

jrmt077

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
That's funny you mention the leather case, I have been looking around for a leather back case that isn't a folding case, I don't want the leather front flap, but like the idea of a leather back as opposed to plastic. Can you share where you get your custom cases made, thanks.

GPITTS1069

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
There are not too many phones that can compare with the Turbo or the Maxx when it comes to battery life. I can get used to it though plus that's what chargers are for. As long as it will get me through the day I always keep a car charger and I'm plugging it in every night anyway. I like the size and the specs on the Moto X Pure. I think I'm going to give it a try.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the Maxx and the Turbo. My opinion is that the Turbo battery is significantly better than the Maxx, especially after Lollipop. I'm really hoping the slightly smaller battery in the rumored Turbo 2 (3760 mah rather than 3900) does not reduce battery life.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm not GPITSS1069, but with fast charging these days I'm not sure that having a medium sized battery is all that terrible anymore, as I think we can all find times (driving, sitting at a desk, etc.) when we can sneak in several minutes of charging during the day. It doesn't have to be a full charge, just enough to give you another 10 to 50 percent.

Pretty sure charging while driving is not going to be fast charge. There are times when you really need your phone and charging is inconvenient or impossible. Times like this I don't want to worry about finding a charger. I don't want to carry a charger. I'm talking about air travel, on vacation, at sporting events, at concerts, etc. I don't want to be one of those pathetic souls stuck in an airport in between flights and waiting in line at the charging station.

I remember being on a bus trip with my son's basketball team going to a national tournament. Nine hours on a bus, one way, 40 people and one charging port. With either my old Razr Maxx HD or my current Turbo I could have listened to music, gamed, or read an e-book without a worry in the world.

Also, we were talking about waiting for what Verizon offers in the Droid series later this fall, and rumors sure make it sound like any new Droids this year will have different specs from the X Pure and X Play, including larger batteries and even wireless charging.

The MXPE was specifically mentioned and I responded to that post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca