Droid says (correct) wifi password is incorrect, how can I solve this issue?

JonDroid156

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Droid says (correct) wifi password is incorrect

Hi all,

I got my Droid Turbo yesterday. I'll try to keep this brief, but here's the issue:

I have connected to two separate wireless networks since buying the phone. However, when I try to connect to my home wifi (which is working fine for all other devices) the phone rejects the password. A few things...

1. I'm positive the password is correct; 2. I've tried Static IP; 3. I've tried WPS; 4. I've tried the standard reboot router, turn wifi off and on, go in and out of airplane mode, etc. 5. I tried disabling the password. At that point, it entered into an Obtaining IP Address loop

I'm completely at my wit's end. Any ideas on how to solve this? Thanks in advance!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Re: Droid says (correct) wifi password is incorrect

What are you using for security on the router? WEP, WPA, or WPA2? If it is not WPA2, try switching to that. If it is WPA and you don't want to try WPA2, try changing from TKIP to AES, if you can.

This may mean changing the passphrase for all of your other devices, but, so long as it is the same, it may not.

All that said, disabling security should have been enough. Which brand and model router is it? Is there a firmware upgrade available for it?

On the Turbo, go into settings / wifi. Tap the menu control bottom right, then advanced. If you are using 2.4 GHz WiFi at home, try changing the Wi-Fi frequency band to that (or to 5 GHz only if you are using that.) If you are using 5 GHz only, you may want to try switching the router to 2.4 GHz, just to see if that helps. You can also try turning off Wi-Fi optimization and Avoid poor connections, just to see if that helps.

The Turbo should be able to work with any wifi standard, so 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11a, or 802.11ac should work, but if you do have 802.11ac only, you may want to try switching to 802.11g (or, better, 802.11 g/n, if the router supports that, and it should) just to see if the 802.11ac is slightly non-standard or something.

If you change any of these things, change them one at a time and test, so you know which thing was required to work.

JonDroid156

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for the response! I will try all of this and post back tomorrow. On the router, it's a Motorola (ironically) 3347. I believe the firmware is up to date.

JonDroid156

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

What are you using for security on the router? WEP, WPA, or WPA2? If it is not WPA2, try switching to that. If it is WPA and you don't want to try WPA2, try changing from TKIP to AES, if you can.

This may mean changing the passphrase for all of your other devices, but, so long as it is the same, it may not.

All that said, disabling security should have been enough. Which brand and model router is it? Is there a firmware upgrade available for it?

On the Turbo, go into settings / wifi. Tap the menu control bottom right, then advanced. If you are using 2.4 GHz WiFi at home, try changing the Wi-Fi frequency band to that (or to 5 GHz only if you are using that.) If you are using 5 GHz only, you may want to try switching the router to 2.4 GHz, just to see if that helps. You can also try turning off Wi-Fi optimization and Avoid poor connections, just to see if that helps.

The Turbo should be able to work with any wifi standard, so 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11a, or 802.11ac should work, but if you do have 802.11ac only, you may want to try switching to 802.11g (or, better, 802.11 g/n, if the router supports that, and it should) just to see if the 802.11ac is slightly non-standard or something.

If you change any of these things, change them one at a time and test, so you know which thing was required to work.

Tried each of these and tried a factory reset, still having the same problem. Also connected to two other wireless networks to ensure the wifi was working in general. As of now, I'm thinking it's somehow a problem on the router/modem's end, even though all the other devices are working. Maybe it's somehow blocking my phone?

I'd welcome any other suggestions if anybody has them. Really like this phone but can't afford to use data at home, so I hope this issue is resolvable.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Buy another router, connect it to an ethernet port on the existing one, create a new wifi network. It is probably the router...

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Make sure you look at your router settings re access control. You could have set where you need to have the Turbo's mac address in the allow access list.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site

I have FiOS, and the router password was printed using all caps. When I entered it the first time I used lower case, because I thought it was just the way the label was printed. Nope, it required all upper case. Make sure you enter the password exactly as it is written, as I found out, it is case-sensitive.

JonDroid156

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. After trying just about everything, I realized I had an old router laying around, so I connected it to my router and the phone was able to connect to the new network. If anybody else is ever looking at this, I had made sure that my router did not limit access via MAC addresses. So, long story short, still don't know what caused it, but it was a router issue. A second network fixed the problem. Now I get to fully enjoy this great phone. Thanks again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith