I've been using my Turbo for ~2 months. After removing McAfee I still have lag. Typing takes forever to catch up. I did a CM clean and it identified 2.6GB of "junk files."

Should I abide by the philosophy of task killers? Should the Turbo be self-sustaining? I'm undoubtedly getting lag, and I can't find out why; especially with the majority of users and reviewers speaking to the "crisp, snappy processor." I did free up memory. I went from 51% memory full to 48% memory full after using Clean Master.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-02-2015 03:54 AM
    What keyboard are you using. I was using google stock keyboard and I was getting lag throughout my whole phone until I cleared the cache from it and turned off personal recognition. I did however clear the cache from the launcher as well.

04-02-2015 06:26 AM
    What keyboard are you using. I was using google stock keyboard and I was getting lag throughout my whole phone until I cleared the cache from it and turned off personal recognition. I did however clear the cache from the launcher as well.

SwiftKey.

04-02-2015 06:31 AM
    Get rid of clean master, too. Read this post: Some of Samsung's Galaxy S6 software sends a mixed message about performance | Android Central

Clean Master is unnecessary. Or, at least try running the phone without it, or any malware scanning apps, etc. Apps that scan your phone in the background are stealing performance from your foreground apps, they are largely unnecessary (unless you install apps from outside the Play Store, and you really should have a good reason to be doing that), and it obviously is affecting the performance of your phone.

If you have other apps like this, uninstall them, run your phone for a week, see if you notice a difference in performance.

[edit] Look, you got the same advice about the LG G3: http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-...r-screwey.html

The problem I think is Clean Master, not your other apps.
    Crashdamage and Tatt2014 like this.
    04-02-2015 06:57 AM
    All of those apps aren't really necessary. Most times the "junk" files are simply deleting text messages, call logs and app cache. All stuff you can do without the app. Also there is a common m is understanding in regards to android RAM. It isn't necessary to use task killers, the apps that were killed typically start right back up. Also, the reason RAM is low to begin with is because when you use a certain app a lot, it gets stored there for quick opening. If you keep killing those apps, youll have more memory but apps won't load as quick. Android manages its memory and there is no need for you to do it. All it does is eat up resources and battery.
    Crashdamage and Tatt2014 like this.
    04-02-2015 08:52 AM
    CM says my RAM is at 2.85GB. That doesn't sound like my phone is managing RAM successfully. I'll get rid of CM. I never used task killers, but CM is too similar to one. I'll wait and see what happens. Thanks guys.

04-02-2015 09:15 AM
    Over time, Clean Master has also become spamtastic with its boatload of ads.

Ditch it and you'll be happier, I'm sure.
    sharkita and Tatt2014 like this.
    04-02-2015 09:29 AM
    I find it perplexing that all the evidence points toward not using these 'task killer' and cleaner apps. Yet, there are always 1 or 2 people that misleadingly support said apps, which brings others into the fold, invariably causing those users issues.
    04-02-2015 10:57 AM
    Over time, Clean Master has also become spamtastic with its boatload of ads.

Ditch it and you'll be happier, I'm sure.
    Totally agree! And "spamtastic" is an understatement; Clean Master has so many ads everywhere it's nearly impossible not to click on one of them by mistake.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-02-2015 11:07 AM
    CM says my RAM is at 2.85GB. That doesn't sound like my phone is managing RAM successfully.
    You are misunderstanding how an Android system manages RAM use. This isn't windows. You shouldn't transfer what is best practice for a Windows system regarding RAM use to Linux/Android, because the OS manages RAM use differently.

An old explanation, but still valid: HTG Explains: Why You Shouldn’t Use a Task Killer On Android

Proponents of task killers notice that Android is using a lot of RAM – in fact, Android stores a lot of apps in its memory, filling up the RAM! However, that isn’t a bad thing. Apps stored in your RAM can be quickly switched to without Android having to load them from its slower storage.

Empty RAM is useless. Full RAM is RAM that is being put to good use for caching apps. If Android needs more memory, it will force-quit an app that you haven’t used in a while – this all happens automatically, without installing any task killers.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    04-02-2015 11:14 AM
    As others have said, the less free RAM, the better because that means your frequently used apps are ready to open quickly, if you kill them all to make all your RAM free, it will take longer (and cause a performance lag) when you open all your frequently used apps. Besides, the turbo has 3gb RAM, way way more than enough.
    Crashdamage and jesta192 like this.
    04-02-2015 01:30 PM
    So, I understand the logic each of you stated, but even without CM, McAfee, or a task killer/RAM manager, I get lag! The correlation of excessive RAM and lag was stated by Clean Master, at the exact moment my phone was bogged down and I was almost at 3GB RAM. I guess, maybe the relation was caused my Clean Master.

All apps you guys said are in some way malicious to functionality have been uninstalled. So... Where could the lag be coming from now? I'm not computer savvy. I know basic SQL, and that's it. Python, Linux, all foreign to me. I'm a physics major. So I need the abridged RAM for Dummies book. I'm struggling with something I'm sure one of you could better diagnose and correct. In that regard, I'm plain retarded.

04-02-2015 07:39 PM
    Your use of Clean Master and/or other task managers/cleaners/boosters/optimizers and such assorted crapware has taught your phone bad habits. It is, in effect, sick and will need time to heal. It should improve over time if you uninstall the bogus stuff and let Android do its job as intended.

If you can't wait then a factory reset will be the best medicine.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    MA2GA28 likes this.
    04-02-2015 08:07 PM
    Since I have no idea what other apps are installed on your phone, I have no idea. Maybe a factory reset (without restoring) and setting everything up from scratch is a smart step. But, again, maybe you have some crap app on your phone that's causing the lag, so who knows? Unless I handle your phone I really can't say what it could be.

I do know that apps like Clean Master are generally worthless on a phone that performs as well and with as much RAM as the Turbo, and unless you are sideloading or installing a bunch of crap from the Play Store, IMO antimalware apps are unnecessary as well.

Good luck, I hope that you figure it out.
    04-02-2015 09:09 PM
    Now that you've uninstalled the Bad Apps, I'd definitely suggest you wipe your cache partition. This does not delete your data and can clean out leftover gunk from uninstalled apps.

(From the Verizon site):
    Wipe Cache Partition - DROID TURBO by Motorola

Performing a wipe cache partition removes any temporary files that may be causing an issue with the device. All personal files and settings aren't affected by this option.

> Ensure the device is powered off.
    > Press and hold the Volume Down button and Power button (located on the right edge of the device) for approximately 3 seconds then release.
    > From the 'Boot Mode Selection Menu' screen, select Recovery mode.
    Note Utilize the Volume Down button to scroll through the menu options and the Power button to select.
    > From the 'Android system recovery' screen (Android figure lying on his back), press and hold the Volume Up button then press and release the Power button to display the menu options.
    > Select wipe cache partition.
    Note The device may take 60 to 90 seconds to restart.

Make sure you don't select to wipe *data* by mistake. Also, it will likely take way more than 60-90 seconds for the wipe and reboot to occur. Don't freak out. Do something else and it should finish up in 10 minutes give or take.
    Murph5150 likes this.
    04-03-2015 12:43 AM
    Cache wipe. Got it. Thank you. I cringe at needing to factory reset my device.

I appreciate everyone's help!

KPMcClave likes this.
    04-03-2015 06:38 AM
    Cache wipe. Got it. Thank you. I cringe at needing to factory reset my device.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Given what a PitA it is to get your phone back to the way you like it, factory restores are suggested far too easily for my taste.
    04-04-2015 12:08 AM
    Given what a PitA it is to get your phone back to the way you like it, factory restores are suggested far too easily for my taste.
    Absolutely, 100% agree. I thought it was just me, but some treat/recommend a factory reset like it's a piece of cake. I spend hours or sometimes days getting everything back to exactly how I had it. That' why I really want an "easier for me to implement" root solution, so I can get Titanium Backup installed on my Turbo. That makes the restore/setup process much more manageable.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-04-2015 09:05 AM
    Absolutely, 100% agree. I thought it was just me, but some treat/recommend a factory reset like it's a piece of cake. I spend hours or sometimes days getting everything back to exactly how I had it. That' why I really want an "easier for me to implement" root solution, so I can get Titanium Backup installed on my Turbo. That makes the restore/setup process much more manageable.
    Agreed. I miss the BlackBerry keyboard most, but the ability to change phones/restore a current one, with data and settings restored, is the other main thing I miss about my BB years.

Moto wanted me to do a factory restore to fix an issue I had with the Sleep function in the (then new) Moto Actions on my Droid Maxx. It would kick in at night as expected, but I had to manually turn the volume up every morning. Never had that issue with the similar feature in SamrtActions on my Droid Razr Maxx HD, and it doesn't happen now on the Turbo. To my knowledge they never did find the reason, and I wasn't going to factory restore for just that issue.

I wonder if there is any way they could add backup fucntionality to Android, without root and without a full rewrite of the OS. I know jack about code and such. I bet that would require them giving us ability to wipe away bloatware, so I won't hold my breath.
    04-04-2015 12:25 PM
    I only recommend a factory reset only as a last resort or when it's easier or much quicker than trying to sort out problems other ways. Except when I reset a device to pass it along to a new owner, I can count the times I've reset devices since Android v1.0 on one hand with fingers left over.

Still, sometimes you have to reinstall if for no other reason than you changed phones. I don't root daily drivers or use Titanium. But I can still reconfigure a non-rooted phone with multiple accounts in about 2-3 hours.

I enable 'Backup my data' and 'Automatic restore' in Settings > Backup and restore.
    Save contacts, Keep notes, Calendar, etc to Google accounts.
    Several apps we use like AquaMail, Nova, FolderSync and VoiceChoice will generate backup configuration files. I manually copy those for quick restoration.
    SMS/MMS are backed up with MyBackup Pro just because I've used it for years and it works fine.

When setting up, I enter the appropriate Google account as the administrator, get WiFi working, add the other various accounts and start downloading and installing. Copy over the backup configuration files for AquaMail, Nova etc and all that extensive app configuration that took hours originally is restored bang - bang.

Most of the time in setting up is spent reconfiguring those apps that do not generate backup configuration files. Unfortunately, seems many developers who write nice apps overlook this important function.

All in all it really isn't too bad if you have a plan and apps such as AquaMail and Nova that will save the most complicated setups and restore them in seconds.

KPMcClave likes this.
    04-04-2015 12:29 PM
    I only recommend a factory reset only as a last resort or when of easier or much quicker than trying to sort out problems other ways. Except when I reset a device to pass it along to a new owner, I can count the times I've reset devices since Android v1.0 on one hand with fingers left over.

Still, sometimes you have to reinstall. ForI don't root daily drivers or use Titanium. But I can still reconfigure a non-rooted phone with multiple accounts in about 2-3 hours.

I enable 'Backup my data' and 'Automatic restore' in Settings > Backup and restore.
    Several apps used like AquaMail, Nova, FolderSync and VoiceChoice will generate backup configuration files. I manufacturer copy those for quick restoration.
    EMS/MMS are backed up with MyBackup Pro just because I've used it for years and it works fine.

When setting up, I enter the appropriate Google account as the administrator, get WiFi working, add the other various accounts and start downloading and installing. Copy over the backup configuration files for AquaMail, Nova etc and all that extensive app configuration that took hours originally is restored bang - bang.

It really isn't too bad if you have a plan and apps such as AquaMail and Nova that will save complicated setups and restore them in seconds.

Yep, that some good advice.

I used AquaMail for quite a while. Man, that isn't something I would have wanted to have to replicate after a clean install. My backups of my config seemed to restore pretty seemlessly when I changed phones and such. I am using Type (formerly Blue) Mail of late. These two mail apps are my top 2 for sure.
    Crashdamage likes this.
    04-04-2015 12:37 PM
    I only recommend a factory reset only as a last resort or when it's easier or much quicker than trying to sort out problems other ways. Except when I reset a device to pass it along to a new owner, I can count the times I've reset devices since Android v1.0 on one hand with fingers left over.

Still, sometimes you have to reinstall if for no other reason than you changed phones. I don't root daily drivers or use Titanium. But I can still reconfigure a non-rooted phone with multiple accounts in about 2-3 hours.

Several apps we use like AquaMail, Nova, FolderSync and VoiceChoice will generate backup configuration files. I manually copy those for quick restoration.
    SMS/MMS are backed up with MyBackup Pro just because I've used it for years and it works fine.

Most of the time in setting up is spent reconfiguring those apps that do not generate backup configuration files. Unfortunately, seems many developers who write nice apps overlook this important function.

All in all it really isn't too bad if you have a plan and apps such as AquaMail and Nova that will save the most complicated setups and restore them in seconds.

That is exactly my point. No one wants to troubleshoot any problems on these types of devices anymore. You call Tech Support and within minutes they want you to perform a full factory reset, like it's no big deal. It's so much easier to recommend doing that, if you're not the person who has to get the device reconfigured back to how you had it.

I guess it's just me. Being in the Tech Supt field for 30 years, I always found it satisfying and took pride in actually fixing the problem.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
    KPMcClave, Crashdamage and Davidoo like this.
    04-05-2015 11:51 AM
    Sure, I agree with that. At the same time, sometime there is data corruption in services and apps that can cause weird things that are nearly impossible to easily troubleshoot. Another point is that we are all a lost, broken, or stolen phone, or a hardware failure, away from having to set up a brand new phone from scratch, and we should all be prepared for that.

It stinks that Google has never created or enforced a true backup and restore for Android as Apple has done for iOS, where you can get a new phone, go through a few steps, and wait as your phone populates itself exactly as its predecessor did on last backup. However, there are things that you can do to minimize the pain of setting up from factory (backing up apps that can to storage, automatically backing up specific storage locations to cloud storage using an app like Dropsync, using apps that cloud sync whenever possible, etc.)

I hate suggesting factory resets, too, but sometimes it's a lot faster to get the phone running well again than spending hours and hours (and the battery required for it) troubleshooting problems.
    dungoyle likes this.
    04-05-2015 12:50 PM
    I use ccleaner for my computer and phone. Never had a problem and it is not messed up by unnecessary spam.

04-05-2015 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD