Would you do it again?

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Looking at changing ecosystems and this handset is on my list. I'm also looking at the Sony Z3 (or Z4 depending on when I pull the trigger) and of course the S6 (I'd actually prefer the S5 Active, but that's not available on Verizon).

My question is, knowing what you know about this handset, would you purchase it again? My needs are long battery life, semblance of ruggedness, semblance of waterproofing/resistance.

Thanks in advance!

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Based on your needs absolutely. I live everything about this phone. Performance is off the charts. Love the vanilla android OS. Love the display and the camera is fine for me. I rarely take pictures. Batter life is really impressive. Aesthetically it just doesn't float my boat. I'd prefer the styling and craftsmanship of the S6 or the iPhone 6. But when push came to shove, I chose performance over looks. I still get jealous every now and then when looking at the S6. But I am happy with the turbo and would do it again.

irishlak

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I am a soldier in the USMC, also a avid hunter. I would get this device again in a second. It has never given me a problem, and I don't need to worry about accidentally dropping my phone and it breaking. I put a otter box commuter case on it and have dropped it many times in mud or dirt or had it start raining not one problem. I love this device.

Posted via the Android Central App

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Looking at changing ecosystems and this handset is on my list. I'm also looking at the Sony Z3 (or Z4 depending on when I pull the trigger) and of course the S6 (I'd actually prefer the S5 Active, but that's not available on Verizon).

My question is, knowing what you know about this handset, would you purchase it again? My needs are long battery life, semblance of ruggedness, semblance of waterproofing/resistance.

Thanks in advance!

My "needs" were similar to yours when I was thinking about upgrading in November: long battery life, water resistance and I wanted to stay on VZW. I looked at the S5 and that certainly checked some of the boxes (waterproof, decent/removable battery) but I just preferred the Turbo (I already had a Maxx). The Sony Z3v hits some of the boxes too but I just couldn't get past the fact that the Z3v was kind of a watered down Z3. So, I went with the Turbo but the S5 and Z3v are good phones as well.

If you do a search you will find some people complain that the Turbo isn't very water resistant. That may be true, but some very recent Turbo ads show off its water resistance.

Incidentally, there is rumor of a S6 Active, but who knows if that will come to VZW. But to answer your question directly, I would buy this phone again, even if I was buying today. Rarely do I worry about having to charge the phone during the day. The battery is great.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It is a solid device performance wise. As Ping Man said, the looks leave quite a bit to be desired. However, performance wise this thing is pretty awesome. I also have an iPhone 6 Plus and the Turbo runs circles around it (or maybe it's just the fact I've used Android for 4 years and know my way around it). Battery life is super, screen is good, I don't use the camera much so I don't have anything to report on that front. I have a busy life since going back to college, I run my family's business and my wife and I have 3 kids who are all active in something year round. It's nice to put all my events into my calendar and my phone will automatically go to silent when I have a meeting, this is a Moto feature that appeared on the 13 Moto X and has been awesome for me. I've dropped it twice on in my driveway (I don't use a case), other than a small scuff on the bottom there's not a mark on it. Not the prettiest thing but it's built like a tank and the performance takes care of everything I need. Would I do it again? Yup. Now if the Nexus 6 was made with a 5.2" screen like the Turbo, I'd have a tough decision to make.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I would buy the turbo again, its a great phone. As for ruggedness I do need a rugged phone, but you cant trust the phone its self, no matter if the phone is waterproof or not. If you need a rugged phone get an otterbox or lifeproof. The waterproof phones arent very good and the flaps are typically chintzy. Plus you said battery life as well, TURBO!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was tempted by the Galaxy S6, but after reading reports that the battery is subpar, not able to get through a whole day, that idea is dead in the water. I don't want a bigger phone like the Note 4 or Nexus 6, so the Turbo is still my first choice. I would do it again.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I too would buy this device again if I had it to do over again. I like not having to worry about running out of battery before the day (or two) is up. Things like Moto Display, Voice, and Assist are something I don't think I could do without now. It certainly beats a blinking led, truly hands free operation is a must have at times, and having my phone give me some peace and quiet at night without any action on my part definitely puts it above other phones. And having a near stock build of Android shows in the performance, just as it did on my old Droid Maxx which many said had an outdated processor, but still managed to run with it's competition in most aspects.

I guess I am one of the only ones who actually likes the styling of the Turbo. I have the BN version and IMHO, it's one of the better looking phones around. The nylon with the egde all Tue way around is much better looking the most of the slabs out there. I can see people's point if they're talking about the MGF version of the Turbo though, which is basically a refreshed version of the Droid Maxx.

Now I won't lie and say I don't also like the Galaxy 6 Edge, it's sleek and from early accounts pretty durable. But after my Galaxy S3, I just can't bring myself to go back to a Samsung device. The plain Galaxy S6 holds no appeal to me, and the Note or any other phablet is too big for me, which also kept me from the Nexus 6. The HTC One series are nice, but they're too large and slippery for me. LG is doing some interesting things with their devices, but I just can't get on board with the power/volume button placement, and their update history is kinda spotty. I've never dealt with any Sony devices since most weren't available on Verizon, and when they finally make one available, Verizon pulls their old "Verizon version" tricks like they did with the Xperia Play. If they had simply rolled out a Z4 unchanged on Verizon, I would've given it a shot. But considering Verizon's history treating one-off phones that aren't Motorola Droid branded, that's enough to keep me away.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
One thing that should be noted is that the Turbo can only do voice and data if you enable VoLTE, unlike most previous phones, and VoLTE does introduce some downside (e.g., calls cannot be handed off to CDMA when you lose LTE signal.) We do not yet know if the newer phones (HTC One M9 and Galaxy S6/Edge) will have that same limitation.

Of course if you are coming from an iPhone you're already used to this limitation...

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
In a word, yes.

My only quibble is with the camera in less than direct sunlight with even moderate motion. That's it, though. The things I would have to give up on the Turbo to get a better camera elsewhere, I don't want to give up.

Once you use the Moto software, you'll have a tough time going back. The battery? C'mon, all the others are pretenders. It's well built and I don't mind the look of the phone or its supposed physical chunkiness.

Somebody somewhere said it looks like a phone Batman would use. That's good enough for me.

Kyse

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely. I spend a lot of time on my phone doing various tasks and even putting lots of hours of World of Tanks Blitz on this phone. The 3900MAh battery and Snapdragon 805 make it unstoppable. No other phone I've had can compete with the Turbo. I will only upgrade once the Snapdragon 810 is available with a similar battery. Galaxy S6? Please, I came from the S4 and the battery would always die before I got out of work. I've had enough of that life and wont go back. I may have to buy another Turbo just in case this one's battery starts to die in another year or so. Sadly I don't see this large battery going main stream, so I feel I'll be with this phone for a long time.

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
One thing that should be noted is that the Turbo can only do voice and data if you enable VoLTE, unlike most previous phones, and VoLTE does introduce some downside (e.g., calls cannot be handed off to CDMA when you lose LTE signal.) We do not yet know if the newer phones (HTC One M9 and Galaxy S6/Edge) will have that same limitation.

Of course if you are coming from an iPhone you're already used to this limitation...

Interesting. This might be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to have to hang up to check something on the web or check emails and text. I currently have a Nokia Lumia 928 on Verizon. I can do simultaneous Voice/Data/Text without any special settings.

jleebiker

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
In a word, yes.

My only quibble is with the camera in less than direct sunlight with even moderate motion. That's it, though. The things I would have to give up on the Turbo to get a better camera elsewhere, I don't want to give up.

Once you use the Moto software, you'll have a tough time going back. The battery? C'mon, all the others are pretenders. It's well built and I don't mind the look of the phone or its supposed physical chunkiness.

Somebody somewhere said it looks like a phone Batman would use. That's good enough for me.

Well, my son and his friends call my car the Batmobile so it would be fitting. It's a hybrid so when it's on battery power, it's absolutely silent and stealthy. ;-)
2014_07_06_15_21_47_ProShot.jpg

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. This might be a deal breaker for me. I don't want to have to hang up to check something on the web or check emails and text. I currently have a Nokia Lumia 928 on Verizon. I can do simultaneous Voice/Data/Text without any special settings.

You should be all set on advanced calling then, because you can only do simultaneous voice and data on a Lumia 928 if you have LTE data, and that'll be the same for the Turbo.

What we don't know yet is if this will be the default for all Verizon phones going forward.

stillpwning

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think I would go for the Moto X if I could go back and do it again. I've been somewhat unimpressed with my Turbo's performance, and the X looks a lot nicer.
I am a soldier in the USMC, also a avid hunter. I would get this device again in a second. It has never given me a problem, and I don't need to worry about accidentally dropping my phone and it breaking. I put a otter box commuter case on it and have dropped it many times in mud or dirt or had it start raining not one problem. I love this device.

"Soldier" in the Marine Corps? Right...

mgssrs

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

That is what made me go with the gs5 over the Turbo. I couldn't decide then read about the voice date issue with the Turbo. The Verizon store employees knew nothing about it until I told them. That was in early December.