Can anyone verify if this handset can send and receive data simultaneously while on a voice call? The carrier would be Verizon.
    Thanks in a advance!
    04-06-2015 11:58 AM
    Can anyone verify if this handset can send and receive data simultaneously while on a voice call? The carrier would be Verizon.
    Thanks in a advance!
    Yes, you can. You need to enable the (free) Advanced Calling feature on your account and the VoLTE service on your phone. When you are in an LTE area, which is almost all of Verizon's covered area, calls and data can be carried simultaneously.
    jleebiker likes this.
    04-06-2015 12:09 PM
    Better make sure that you are actually in an LTE service area and not one that Verizon just claims is LTE (for marketing purposes) or you can expect to be disappointed unless you are on WiFi. 3G service won't work.
    04-06-2015 03:12 PM
    Better make sure that you are actually in an LTE service area and not one that Verizon just claims is LTE (for marketing purposes) or you can expect to be disappointed unless you are on WiFi. 3G service won't work.
    You can never do voice and data on 3G on Verizon on any phone, except a handful of devices from about 4 years ago. If you're on Verizon you always needed to be on LTE to get voice and data.
    04-06-2015 03:59 PM
    You can never do voice and data on 3G on Verizon on any phone, except a handful of devices from about 4 years ago. If you're on Verizon you always needed to be on LTE to get voice and data.
    Did you read what I wrote? Or are you just shilling for Verizon? I told the OP that he should assure the LTE service was present or they were connected to WiFi to get simultaneous voice & data. Verizon's choice to exclusively use a single radio on the Turbo is what precludes 3G from doing what HTC's thunderbolt did years before. If verizon didn't want criticism for this choice perhaps the coverage maps should be reviewed and empirical data instead of theoretical data should be use to generate them. If these maps correctly & accurately portrayed LTE coverage consumers (customers) could make informed decisions. Weenie wording your way out of service coverage lapses is marketing bs.
    04-06-2015 04:42 PM
    Relax. I just read what the OP wrote - "the carrier would be Verizon". If that's definitive, and the question is can the Turbo do simul voice and data - yes, it can, in the way that my answer provided. It seemed weird to me to confuse the issue. I suppose I could have reworded my answer to your post this way:

"No phone on Verizon can do voice and data on 3G anyway".

I suppose I was coming from the fact that the only carrier that gives me service at my house and on most of my street is Verizon, so when I buy a phone, no matter which one it is, it's only going to be a phone on Verizon, so I read "the carrier would be Verizon" as being a requirement, as it is for me. And also coming from the fact that when the Turbo first came out, it could not do simul voice and data at all. That is no longer the case.
    04-06-2015 05:12 PM
    Relax. I just read what the OP wrote - "the carrier would be Verizon". If that's definitive, and the question is can the Turbo do simul voice and data - yes, it can, in the way that my answer provided. It seemed weird to me to confuse the issue. I suppose I could have reworded my answer to your post this way:

"No phone on Verizon can do voice and data on 3G anyway".

I suppose I was coming from the fact that the only carrier that gives me service at my house and on most of my street is Verizon, so when I buy a phone, no matter which one it is, it's only going to be a phone on Verizon, so I read "the carrier would be Verizon" as being a requirement, as it is for me. And also coming from the fact that when the Turbo first came out, it could not do simul voice and data at all. That is no longer the case.
    You quoted me! And to correct you
    "No phone on Verizon can do voice and data on 3G anyway" there are phones (HTC Thunderbolt) that CAN & DO provide voice & data simultaneously on Verizon's 3G network today . Don't say what isn't true.
    04-06-2015 05:28 PM
    You quoted me! And to correct you
    "No phone on Verizon can do voice and data on 3G anyway" there are phones (HTC Thunderbolt) that CAN & DO provide voice & data simultaneously on Verizon's 3G network today . Don't say what isn't true.
    *Sigh*. No phone that you can buy *today* from Verizon, or at any point in the last three years, can do voice and data on 3G on Verizon's network.

Does that work? (Not sure that the OP, or anybody else for that matter, would want to buy an HTC Thunderbolt today.)

(I'm sure that this is *really* not all that helpful to the OP... My apologies... )

To be helpful, until the Turbo and the Moto X, almost every Verizon android phone allowed you to do voice and data without turning on the new advanced calling feature. There are still phones available on Verizon - good phones, like the Samsung Note 4 or the LG G3 - that can do voice and data without VoLTE/Advanced Calling. As Rob_B points out, there are some disadvantages to using advanced calling - among them, if you roam from an area with LTE coverage to one with just 3G, any time that you are in a call it will be dropped - calls cannot yet be handed off from VoLTE to CDMA calls. That would not be a problem with other phones like the Note 4, G3, Samsung Galaxy S5, or HTC One M8. So, if you are in an area where Verizon LTE coverage is a little spotty, maybe another phone would be better for you - though they will all have the same inability to do voice and data when you are on 3G.

I don't think we know yet if the new Galaxy S6,S6 Edge, or HTC One M9 coming out this month will have the same minor limitation.
    jleebiker likes this.
    04-06-2015 09:01 PM
    On the Turbo, YES, you can use data and talk a the same time
    jleebiker likes this.
    04-07-2015 08:18 AM