viewing picture send via MMS - why is it a "slideshow"??

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
sometimes when i receive a MMS message, it comes in as a "slideshow" in which i need to hit "play" to watch it for a duration of 20 seconds and the picture is always in the middle around 10 seconds.

is this a setting that i need to disable?

the picture should just show up instead of me watching it on the "slideshow" which is just a waste of time.

please let me know if you have experienced this as well and how you corrected it.

thanks

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand why this was designed this way. I found it annoying, too. I believe it only happens when there are more than one piece of media, but iPhone messages with media sometimes (maybe always?) come in with the text as "media" as well.

You can tap on the slideshow to expose controls, and then press the "fast forward" button to quickly go through the media. Or, better yet, you can switch to another SMS app - Hangouts, Google Messenger, Textra, I think Verizon Message+ as well, etc. - that will just show the media as separate pieces within the message. That's how I solved the problem.

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why this was designed this way. I found it annoying, too. I believe it only happens when there are more than one piece of media, but iPhone messages with media sometimes (maybe always?) come in with the text as "media" as well.

You can tap on the slideshow to expose controls, and then press the "fast forward" button to quickly go through the media. Or, better yet, you can switch to another SMS app - Hangouts, Google Messenger, Textra, I think Verizon Message+ as well, etc. - that will just show the media as separate pieces within the message. That's how I solved the problem.

thanks for the reply back.

from doing some research, i have come to the conclusion that you do need to change from the stock app to not have the "slideshow".

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes, super annoying for me as well. It always comes from iPhones. I'm using Chomp which recently updated and its now set up different and doesn't do that any more.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Using Textra you can long press the picture to view it as a "flat slideshow" which basically just gives you the picture or series of pictures if there is more than one (i.e., a legit slideshow).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It doesnt have to do with the aoo your using to view text messages, its because it came from an Iphone

Nope, it was the horrible default messaging app that Moto puts in KitKat that does this when you have anybody who sends you a message with more than a single piece of media. What makes the iPhone a pain is that it converts the text portion of a message with a single photo to an image, so you get an image with a photo (or music or whatever the media is) and then you get an image of the body of the text, too. But if an Android/Windows Mobile/BB/feature phone/emailer (to yournumber@vzwpics.com) sends you a message with two photos you get the same PITA slideshow.

That doesn't happen in many third party messaging apps, including Hangouts (which is on the phone already.) I'm not sure about Verizon Messages - I don't like that app and don't feel like testing it right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow