For the first time in a long time I don't have upgrade fever!

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am what you would consider a technology addict and I enjoy being around the newest technology. I always had to upgrade to the newest phone even if it didn't provide much of a difference. I would use excuses such as bigger display, new experience, etc. to convince myself that it was worth it. Why not? We're all technology geeks here, right? With the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge releasing nationwide, I would usually feel the need to get it because it's the latest and greatest (well, maybe not greatest). This addiction has cost me a fortune in full retail and I regret that so much.

Until today. I bought my Droid Turbo on October 31st and it's the perfect phone. I am in an excellent coverage area and VoLTE works great for me. The HD calling to my friends iPhone 6 is absolutely stunning. Battery life is amazing and after reading Android Central's review of the Galaxy S6, we're once again seeing another flagship device with subpar battery life. Go figure, we can't have the whole package. Oh wait, I think we do with the Turbo! I have had no lag with my Turbo due to it's near stock software, great call quality, amazing reliability and the display is gorgeous. The camera is hit or miss but truthfully I can live without this.

I won't keep going on, it's late (or early, depending who you are) but who else is with me? Has the Turbo eliminated upgrade fever?

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am what you would consider a technology addict and I enjoy being around the newest technology. I always had to upgrade to the newest phone even if it didn't provide much of a difference. I would use excuses such as bigger display, new experience, etc. to convince myself that it was worth it. Why not? We're all technology geeks here, right? With the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge releasing nationwide, I would usually feel the need to get it because it's the latest and greatest (well, maybe not greatest). This addiction has cost me a fortune in full retail and I regret that so much.

Until today. I bought my Droid Turbo on October 31st and it's the perfect phone. I am in an excellent coverage area and VoLTE works great for me. The HD calling to my friends iPhone 6 is absolutely stunning. Battery life is amazing and after reading Android Central's review of the Galaxy S6, we're once again seeing another flagship device with subpar battery life. Go figure, we can't have the whole package. Oh wait, I think we do with the Turbo! I have had no lag with my Turbo due to it's near stock software, great call quality, amazing reliability and the display is gorgeous. The camera is hit or miss but truthfully I can live without this.

I won't keep going on, it's late (or early, depending who you are) but who else is with me? Has the Turbo eliminated upgrade fever?

Slight fever, took 2 aspirin last night and I should call the doctor this morning. It's been going on for sometime now.

Posted via the Android Central App

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site

I got the Droid Maxx a month before the Turbo came out and I can never forgive myself.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I got the Droid Maxx a month before the Turbo came out and I can never forgive myself.

Ouch, that's an extremely tough one to swallow. I've had both and can say that the Droid Maxx, while great, is just not up to the task compared to the Turbo.

But since you can't forgive yourself... Pretend I didn't say the above. ;)

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Ouch, that's an extremely tough one to swallow. I've had both and can say that the Droid Maxx, while great, is just not up to the task compared to the Turbo.

But since you can't forgive yourself... Pretend I didn't say the above. ;)

I get to upgrade in about 5 months, so whatever Motorola plans on releasing to be the successor of the Turbo I'll be first in line.

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I upgraded to the iPhone 6 Plus but then bought the Turbo off Swappa. I use both I just swap the SIM cards. I've been in the Google ecosystem since the beta days of GMail and have watched it grow. I use the iPhone because that's what my family is using. My wife uses iPhone 6, 13 yr old son has iPhone 4s, and my 2 younger ones have iPods. iMessage and Facetime is awesome for us. I am more efficient and quicker on the Turbo but the iPhone has that polish and a few apps that I still use. The only thing Android is missing is a substitute for iMessage and Facetime. I understand there is hangouts, but telling my 2 younger ones that "when you need to get in touch with dad you have to use this app" is hard. To be honest, if I told my wife that she'd look at me like I'm going off the deep end. My sons birthday is coming up and he asked for Apple TV so there again my family will be even more entrenched in Apple.

All in all, I love the Turbo. I love Google services and how it interacts with all my daily activities and keeps me inline. The Moto Apps are nothing short of amazing. The Meetings app has saved me on more than one occasion. Going into a meeting there have been times I've completely forgot to put my phone on vibrate but if there is something in your calendar that shows you as "busy" your phone automatically goes to Mute for that time frame. Wouldn't look good with a ringing phone during a board meeting. Awesome device!!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I've been realizing the past week or so how much my bad camera experience was weighting my overall opinion of the Turbo. Now that winter basketball is over for our daughter, the types of shots that I was suffering through (worse than my Maxx) aren't in my face as often to frustrate me. In fact, we went to the playground last week. The sun was out and the shots of her in action were just fine.

Anyway, I almost feel like I had a mild upgrade with the weight of the only negative of the phone lessened right now. The performance over all, the battery, the build quality. All of it is A-OK in my book.

Even told a good friend looking at an upgrade that I'm sorry he can't consider the Turbo on his carrier (Sprint). I think I'd be able to convince him to grab one otherwise. Camera isn't a big deal to him (he currently has a One M7).

If Moto doesn't fix what's wrong with the camera, my frustration will come up again. Maybe in the same gym at summer basketball camp, maybe not until winter basketball. Hopefully they patch it up and it becomes as near-perfect a phone as I've ever had.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I've been realizing the past week or so how much my bad camera experience was weighting my overall opinion of the Turbo. Now that winter basketball is over for our daughter, the types of shots that I was suffering through (worse than my Maxx) aren't in my face as often to frustrate me. In fact, we went to the playground last week. The sun was out and the shots of her in action were just fine.

Anyway, I almost feel like I had a mild upgrade with the weight of the only negative of the phone lessened right now. The performance over all, the battery, the build quality. All of it is A-OK in my book.

Even told a good friend looking at an upgrade that I'm sorry he can't consider the Turbo on his carrier (Sprint). I think I'd be able to convince him to grab one otherwise. Camera isn't a big deal to him (he currently has a One M7).

If Moto doesn't fix what's wrong with the camera, my frustration will come up again. Maybe in the same gym at summer basketball camp, maybe not until winter basketball. Hopefully they patch it up and it becomes as near-perfect a phone as I've ever had.

The inconsistent, pretty much subpar camera is a Motorola-wide problem and certainly not exclusive to the Turbo. It's the only area where Motorola falls short of the competition in a big way, and I say this as a huge Moto fan. The camera is not a deal breaker for me, but it's a constant source of disappointment. Where Motorola excels with the near vanilla Android experience, amazing call quality, enhancements like Moto Display, etc. - those features are what keep me coming back and putting their phones at the top of my list. It's frustrating when others (such as Apple, Samsung, LG, Nokia) do a better job with their cameras and Moto continues to miss the mark there, but I remain ever hopeful they will finally get the camera part right.

Last edited:

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Okay, you don't have upgrade fever now, but just wait until the 2nd generation Turbo comes out!

That will be quite the sight. I'll be rather interested to see if Motorola Engineers are creative and inventive enough to truly make a Motorola Droid Turbo "2" be a genuine upgrade.

When it's awesome already, the task becomes, "create something breathtaking." Motorola has to do some hard core brainstorming to make a successor worthy of retiring the Motorola Droid Turbo "1."

Posted via the Android Central App

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Okay, you don't have upgrade fever now, but just wait until the 2nd generation Turbo comes out!

Even then the upgrade shouldn't be worth using a two year upgrade on. I used to go nuts but realistically a year later doesn't make a huge difference. Sure, the Droid Maxx to the Turbo is fairly big but that was because Motorola finally caved in to the spec competition. The Turbo 2 may improve some things but I doubt it'll be a big enough one to make me sweat.

Sean Cogan

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
More rumors of the Droid Turbo 2… with Marshmallow 6.01 (guaranteed upgrade to Nestle Crunch 7.01 within 30 minutes of purchase), a Canon 28 megapixel camera, Snapdragon 8 octo-core processor, Gorilla Glass 5 screen with titanium body and a new battery technology (Tesla) promising two years between charges.

So where is it???? WHERE??? I have been waiting ALL DAY for Motorizon to release it and it is still NOT HERE!!! I am entitled to hourly updates on it's release date and I can't / won't put up with this much longer. Motorizon needs to treat their customers with more respect!

I may just go to Cricket......

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
More rumors of the Droid Turbo 2… with Marshmellow 6.01, a Canon 28 megapixel camera, Snapdragon 8 octo-core processor, Gorilla Glass 5 screen with titanium body and a new battery technology (Tesla) promising two-years between charges.

So where is it???? WHERE??? I have been waiting ALL DAY for Motorizon to release it and it is still NOT HERE!!! I am entitled to daily updates on it's release date and I can't / won't put up with this much longer. Motorizon needs to treat their customers with more respect!

I may just go to Cricket......

I'm with you. Cricket FTW!

Bleezy

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Granted I'm coming from a really old S3 but I think the camera on the Turbo is pretty awesome. Its not the best camera, sure, but it does a great job taking photos anytime I need one. Considering all the great things this phone has, I have no complaints with the camera. If there's anything to gripe about it would be the brightness of the screen when outside in the sun. It's really hard to see sometimes.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Granted I'm coming from a really old S3 but I think the camera on the Turbo is pretty awesome. Its not the best camera, sure, but it does a great job taking photos anytime I need one. Considering all the great things this phone has, I have no complaints with the camera. If there's anything to gripe about it would be the brightness of the screen when outside in the sun. It's really hard to see sometimes.

My camera complaints are for a very specific (but don't read that as rarely taken) type shot. Less than bright direct light and even slight motion are an issue. All cell cameras struggle to various degrees in low lioght, but the light doesn't even have to be particularly low for motion to be captured (blur) in a shot. My Droid Maxx did better under these condtiions before I upgraded to the Turbo.