Hello all, recently my SMS has only been vibrating and not rining the notification sound. Anybody else getting this issue or known a fix? I put all the settings to ring unless its something else.
    04-11-2015 09:35 AM
    Hello all, recently my SMS has only been vibrating and not rining the notification sound. Anybody else getting this issue or known a fix? I put all the settings to ring unless its something else.
    Well, look in settings / sounds / volumes and make sure that the notification volume is all of the way up (notification and ring volumes are different on this phone.) If that's not it, try changing the ringtone inside the SMS app that you use to something else and then switch it back again. If that still doesn't work, try long-pressing power and pressing the volume off control, then do it again and turn the volume back on.

Hopefully one of those worked...
    04-11-2015 09:51 AM
    The last option worked. the volume was stuck on vibrate even after I press the volume control not to vibrate. Thanks
    04-11-2015 11:20 AM
    That's weird... Somtimes it vibrates only but sometimes it works..
    04-11-2015 11:41 AM
    The last option worked. the volume was stuck on vibrate even after I press the volume control not to vibrate. Thanks
    Ok, just to clarify, in case you mean pressing the volume up and down buttons - pressing the volume up and down buttons on the side of the phone changes the ringer volume only. It doesn't change the notification volume. Motorola (or maybe it's just the Droids) is unique in having these separate volumes on anything later than 4.0.

On the long-press power button dialog, the middle "vibration" icon does turn the phone to vibration only, no sound, but the sound icon on the right doesn't turn vibration off. That's controlled in several places - for SMS messages, in the settings for your SMS app. Sometimes there is a setting to vibrate only when the sound is off, but not all apps offer this option. For calls, the setting in settings / volumes / vibrate when ringing is just for phone calls.

When you long-press power and hit the left, no sound icon - the phone should never vibrate for calls or text messages. Alarms will still sound and vibrate, though.

That's weird... Somtimes it vibrates only but sometimes it works..
    What I have found is that if I have the messaging app already open with the display powered on, the phone (I think) doesn't play the notification tone. That may depend on the messaging app. But, yeah, there are times when the display is on that I don't here the notification - but I think it's only if I have that app open already.
    04-11-2015 12:09 PM
    Go into your phone settings: then sound; the tap on volume. 4 separate volumes come up where you increase, phone, notification, etc.
    04-12-2015 01:55 PM
    Ahh I think that might be it also, that when I'm using the messaging app it doesn't ring. I'm using the google messenger.
    04-12-2015 07:14 PM
    Ahh I think that might be it also, that when I'm using the messaging app it doesn't ring. I'm using the google messenger.
    It just happened to me again, this time with the phone off and the Google messenger app was not the active app at the time.

Maybe it's Google Messenger? I've switched to Hangouts for now to see if it happens again. Of course who knows how long it will take to happen again?

We'll see what happens...
    04-14-2015 09:10 AM
    I turned mine completely off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on. Fixed it. Hold power button down until you get the box to power off. Then hold power button down to turn back on.
    01-23-2016 01:51 PM
    select the messaging app of which you are not getting the notification sound and go to the setting . Choose the new notification ringtone and press the volume up key at the same time and tap on the selected ringtone 3-4 time until the volume goes highest ...thats it your problem is solved. try it.
    09-06-2016 01:23 PM
    I'm getting the same problem on my s7 edge. Using my stock message app (not Verizon message +) volume all up and changed ringtones are some suggested with no change
    06-01-2017 11:16 PM