04-18-2015 06:36 AM
52 123
tools
    I think the MAXX camera has a greenish hue to all the photos, especially if there is light coming at any angle toward the sensor. The pics on my Turbo are much better. It really does come down to personal preference. I looked at some low light pics from my Turbo, and they were terrible. But, while I still have the Maxx, just don't see myself going back. It's just my preference.

I can say, I didn't notice a ton of upgrades from MAXX to Turbo, but it's snappier and I like the slightly bigger screen. And overall, the camera is working better for me.

Cheers all!

Posted via the Android Central App
    Snareman likes this.
    04-14-2015 09:26 PM
    I think the MAXX camera has a greenish hue to all the photos, especially if there is light coming at any angle toward the sensor. The pics on my Turbo are much better. It really does come down to personal preference. I looked at some low light pics from my Turbo, and they were terrible. But, while I still have the Maxx, just don't see myself going back. It's just my preference.

I can say, I didn't notice a ton of upgrades from MAXX to Turbo, but it's snappier and I like the slightly bigger screen. And overall, the camera is working better for me.

Cheers all!

Yes, I agree. The Turbo was more evolution than revolution. There may not be much revolution left in phones for awhile though I'm guessing.
    04-14-2015 09:30 PM
    Sorry. You're right. I love you.

04-15-2015 06:18 AM
    I have an Apple Airport Extreme at home and I don't think I've ever had a random reboot. I guess I can't say never. I've had them every now and then, but they are so few I can't remember when they've happened and certainly not enough to correlate them with being at home.
    Thanks. But having it not happen to many people but happen to 3 is still enough to make me carefully consider buying the phone, particularly when the problem is still reported after a couple of OTA updates.

Honestly, at this point I'm fine with the Maxx until the fall, and I'm only keeping track of phones right now in case it breaks or I lose it, as I'm now long past out of warranty.
    04-15-2015 06:52 AM
    04-15-2015 08:21 AM
    About what? You linked to another website full of links and articles
    04-15-2015 09:31 AM
    04-15-2015 09:32 AM
    After my last post, lots of thinking, and even more missed photos, lol...I decided it was time to part ways with the Turbo. I went back to the Maxx for 2 days and truly, I could hardly tell the difference. For my needs, the Turbo, as much as I wanted it to work, just didn't. I'll never understand how Motorola was able to not quality check and take such a giant step back with the camera. Sigh. Took it to Verizon and got a pretty decent account credit, and knowing it was a matter of when I got rid of it, not "if", I took the money and ran.

What shocked me was how I wasn't really missing anything from the Turbo. Great phone, but I guess the Maxx is also a great phone. Hoping sooner rather than later i can get a better photo taking all around phone (eyes in the lg g4) but for now its back to old reliable.
    I don't get it.. I love my turbo. not a single bug or problem with it. I was going to call my Turbo "Reliable"
    04-15-2015 09:59 AM
    Very much reliable. Not sure where in that post I said otherwise? I simply said going back to the MAXX was not as much a step back as I expected. I had visions of feeling like I was back on the original Droid 1. Wasnt the case. If anything it is a compliment to the reliability of the MAXX.
    04-15-2015 10:40 AM
    Just a quick comparison to back up my claim above. Not trying to sway anyone one way or another, but for my money, Turbo wins for what I need it for.

back to the Maxx (surprisingly easy)-img_20150321_134414883.jpg
    Taken with MAXX, not retouched or resized.

back to the Maxx (surprisingly easy)-img_20150321_134414684.jpg
    Taken with Turbo, had to resize to get it to upload, no other retouching.
    04-15-2015 10:55 AM
    To me, the ability to not capture the photos I wanted, yes, left the camera "useless" for me. I fail to see how Im pissed at the phone? I didnt like the camera, and I finally gave up with too many missed photos of things I WANTED pictures of. But the fact of the matter is, after not being satisfied with the camera, and going back to the maxx, I didnt see much of a decline.

I dont like the phone for overall expectations and needs, so I got rid of it.
    We anxiously await you posting awesomely focused indoor low light action shots taken with your MAXX.
    04-15-2015 11:12 AM
    Everybody who doesn't get what the issue with the camera may be - read the Android Central review of the Turbo, the camera section. I think it fairly describes the shortcomings. (Though Andrew Martonik says that he didn't have focus problems that others have reported in low light situations.)

Motorola Droid Turbo review | Android Central

It's awesome that it doesn't bother you, but I'm sure you can understand why it disappoints some people.
    04-15-2015 11:40 AM
    Just a quick comparison to back up my claim above. Not trying to sway anyone one way or another, but for my money, Turbo wins for what I need it for.
    The MAXX appears to have the same bluish-green tint that my Maxx HD had. Look at the chair by the curb. It looks almost black & white in the MAXX photo; in the Turbo photo you can see it's richly multi-colored.
    04-15-2015 11:47 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150321_134414883.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	672.0 KB 
ID:	171785
    Taken with MAXX, not retouched or resized.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150321_134414684.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	651.1 KB 
ID:	171787
    Taken with Turbo, had to resize to get it to upload, no other retouching.
    No doubt the Turbo is a big upgrade outdoors.
    04-15-2015 01:37 PM
    Everybody who doesn't get what the issue with the camera may be - read the Android Central review of the Turbo, the camera section. I think it fairly describes the shortcomings. (Though Andrew Martonik says that he didn't have focus problems that others have reported in low light situations.)

Motorola Droid Turbo review | Android Central

It's awesome that it doesn't bother you, but I'm sure you can understand why it disappoints some people.
    No, read any of his posts, he truly and honestly can't understand, which is comical and strange. Some people are way too personally invested in the phone and always being right.
    04-15-2015 03:44 PM
    We anxiously await you posting awesomely focused indoor low light action shots taken with your MAXX.
    I am truly and sincerely sorry my opinion differs from yours and we dont like the exact same thing. Im sorry I don't find the phone completely and utterly perfect. I dont really see a need to post any examples of what I find acceptable in pictures at this point, since I find it useless and it will just spur as many useless posts of other pictures telling me I am wrong for what I like. I am sorry to disappoint. Again, I am just a dumb human being who has never figured out the complexities of using a cell phone camera properly.
    04-15-2015 03:50 PM
    I don't recall if you've said this or not before, but have you tried sending it in to see if there is possibly a hardware issue with your particular Turbo? The fact that some are not having the issues you and some others are could point to a hardware issue.
    04-15-2015 11:13 PM
    Same here. Tried paid and free apps. Way too many, but results usually the same.
    I know they don't fix the Turbo's previously-mentioned camera issues, but which app was your "favorite" (just curious)?

Posted via Android Central App
    04-16-2015 12:04 AM
    I know they don't fix the Turbo's previously-mentioned camera issues, but which app was your "favorite" (just curious)?

Posted via Android Central App
    I've been using A Better Camera and with its dynamic range optimization turned on it does really well creating essentially a realistic looking HDR type pic. They come out looking pretty natural. So I use ABC when I want a better quality looking picture and the stock camera if I don't quite care as much. I have them set up that they can work from the same icon. Press the icon for ABC. Swipe up on the icon for the stock camera. Yea for Nova Launcher.
    04-16-2015 01:53 AM
    I actually had one replaced. When I had to show examples of my photos to the Verizon rep he agreed they were horrible. Sent me a new one, same results. Its not a hardware issue. Its actually, as KPMcClave perfectly points out, us talking about the specific indoor/outdoor settings or action shots that prove a challenge, then 2 people defending it by posting a "good" picture completely unrelated to the problematic issues (landscapes, parked cars, cats in windows). Or, the other stance....not a hardware error, simply after 10+ years of using camera phones successfully, I simply lost my ability on how to point and snap pictures with the Turbo. I'm just really, really dumb and the phone was too perfect for my feeble mind to figure out.
    04-16-2015 04:45 AM
    I've been using A Better Camera and with its dynamic range optimization turned on it does really well creating essentially a realistic looking HDR type pic. They come out looking pretty natural. So I use ABC when I want a better quality looking picture and the stock camera if I don't quite care as much. I have them set up that they can work from the same icon. Press the icon for ABC. Swipe up on the icon for the stock camera. Yea for Nova Launcher.
    A Better Camera was my favorite of the apps I tried, as well.
    04-16-2015 06:35 AM
    I actually had one replaced. When I had to show examples of my photos to the Verizon rep he agreed they were horrible. Sent me a new one, same results. Its not a hardware issue. Its actually, as KPMcClave perfectly points out, us talking about the specific indoor/outdoor settings or action shots that prove a challenge, then 2 people defending it by posting a "good" picture completely unrelated to the problematic issues (landscapes, parked cars, cats in windows). Or, the other stance....not a hardware error, simply after 10+ years of using camera phones successfully, I simply lost my ability on how to point and snap pictures with the Turbo. I'm just really, really dumb and the phone was too perfect for my feeble mind to figure out.
    Also, in my case and yours, we've been comparing shots to the Droid Maxx we used immediatly preceding the Turbo. Expectations have been reasonable.
    jamielov likes this.
    04-16-2015 06:39 AM
    I was talking about actually dealing with Motorola, sending it in to them. Dealing with Verizon doesn't really get you anything but a like new replacement, and I doubt they forwarded the issue to Motorola. Motorola might have also seen that it was an issue and maybe been able to do something about it. Anymore I don't deal with Verizon unless all I need is a replacement device. If it's an issue seems more like a software bug or hardware issue, I usually send it in to the OEM.

It wouldn't hurt to contact Motorola, tell them the specific conditions it has problems in, and see about getting it warranty repaired. Considering you're well within the one year warranty yet they should cover it for free. And since you're not using it as your primary right now, you're not out anything either.
    04-16-2015 10:15 AM
    A Better Camera was my favorite of the apps I tried, as well.
    ...and Amazon's current apps giveaway includes A Better Camera:

Amazon.com: Free App of the Day Bundle: Apps & Games
    04-16-2015 10:49 AM
    ...and Amazon's current apps giveaway includes A Better Camera:

Amazon.com: Free App of the Day Bundle: Apps & Games
    After I paid real money for it.
    back to the Maxx (surprisingly easy)-doh.jpg
    Oh well, I did get it for 50% off, and the Google Play apps usually get updated with more frequency than Amazon. It's a good application, and although a little pricey at full price, I was happy to pay the developer the amount I did to support them.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-16-2015 11:12 AM
52 123