back to the Maxx (surprisingly easy)

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
After my last post, lots of thinking, and even more missed photos, lol...I decided it was time to part ways with the Turbo. I went back to the Maxx for 2 days and truly, I could hardly tell the difference. For my needs, the Turbo, as much as I wanted it to work, just didn't. I'll never understand how Motorola was able to not quality check and take such a giant step back with the camera. Sigh. Took it to Verizon and got a pretty decent account credit, and knowing it was a matter of when I got rid of it, not "if", I took the money and ran.

What shocked me was how I wasn't really missing anything from the Turbo. Great phone, but I guess the Maxx is also a great phone. Hoping sooner rather than later i can get a better photo taking all around phone (eyes in the lg g4) but for now its back to old reliable.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep, the Maxx is still a fine phone. I think it got the same sort of treatment the Galaxy S5 and now the HTC One M9 have gotten. That is, it wasn't enough of a change from prior phones. To some degree, I think that's a reviewer/uber user complaint that doesn't really impact the vast majority of people out there (just like many things we discuss on these forums). If the average Joe or Joan is upgrading a phone every 2 years still, who cares if the M9 is a modest upgrade over the M8...because they're turning in an M7 anyway. My opinion isn't as strong on that with the Maxx, but same thing at play, I think.

Anyway, you could do a lot worse going backward than using the Droid Maxx again.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using the Maxx, I still really like the phone, but looking forward to an upgrade this fall - I think my battery is starting to show its age.

Battery Monitor Widget is estimating the battery capacity at 2775 mah, down from the real 3500, so down 20%. This, by the way, is the major reason I'm loathe to make a two year commitment to a phone like the Moto X, with such a small battery. I'm almost 20 months in and the Moto X would be like a 1750 mah battery at the same rate of capacity loss.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I usually buy my phones outright, which is sort of a mix of my own stubborness/stupidity, but I guess its a risk I take. I liked the turbo, and besides the camera, it was phenomenal. But if pressed, for my own uses, what the difference were from the maxx to the turbo, I'd have to say slightly better better yet tremendously worse camera. Its human nature to always want the latest and greatest, but this time it burned me.

I'm shooting for the G4 I honestly think. Two main things I want are camera and battery life. Its camera is really supposed to be something, and comes with removable 3000mah battery, so that Is still pretty nice, and can always carry a spare.

In a strange marketing move, LG has already stated there will be a more flagship esque flagship coming later this year. Odd when trying to sell a phone that hasn't been released yet. I can be content to wait it out with my maxx, but rumors are it may be a phablet which I'm not interested in.

dcallan

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Interesting thought here folks. Frankly, I think the Turbo was an overall mistake for me. I really loved my Maxx. It did everything i needed it to do. It would be nice to have the high resolution screen on a Maxx, but frankly I could live without it. My main complaint, besides the issues of software, is actually the size. I don't like carrying the 5.1 screen. The Maxx was about as "Maxx" as I wanted. I got myself excited about the Turbo, but it hasn't been that compelling for me as a business user. If I did more games and such, maybe it would make a difference. I am actually considering getting a (new old stock) Maxx. I would probably miss the Turbo charger and the screen. Though, I really do wireless charging everywhere except home. I never needed to use the 8 hours in 15 min feature.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I wish you people would consider how lucky you are. I have a Maxx and I badly want a Turbo. After messing around with my long distance girlfriend's Note 4, I had really grown used to a larger 4K screen. Throw that in with a Motorola phone, amazing battery, and beautiful design, and bam. There's my perfect dream phone. And you guys want to come back to the Maxx? I'll never understand any of you.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The Turbo screen isn't really that exciting to me. When I compared it side by side with my 720p Maxx I really couldn't tell the difference. 1080p would have totally been plenty for the Turbo and would have given a little better battery life.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
The Turbo screen isn't really that exciting to me. When I compared it side by side with my 720p Maxx I really couldn't tell the difference. 1080p would have totally been plenty for the Turbo and would have given a little better battery life.

Hey. I know you from Youtube. I saw your video comparing the Turbo and the Maxx. You're really lucky to have it dude.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey. I know you from Youtube. I saw your video comparing the Turbo and the Maxx. You're really lucky to have it dude.

Yep, that's me. :) The Turbo is a great phone, the screen and battery life just aren't all the greatness you would think given the specs.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I wish you people would consider how lucky you are. I have a Maxx and I badly want a Turbo. After messing around with my long distance girlfriend's Note 4, I had really grown used to a larger 4K screen. Throw that in with a Motorola phone, amazing battery, and beautiful design, and bam. There's my perfect dream phone. And you guys want to come back to the Maxx? I'll never understand any of you.

But I should consider myself lucky, and YOU cant understand me, because I don't like a phone that isnt meeting my expectations or needs? Sort of a stange stance to take. Screen resolution, seriously, can hardly tell the difference. battery, same. The turbo charge is great, but more times than not, I am near a charger, or have to make do with the "only 3300mah" battery, lol. You are commenting on a phone you DO NOT own, yet we here have had both versions, and are giving honest opinions. Besides battery life, pictures, constantly taking pictures, are important to me. Go have a look in the Turbo thread and see a few recent examples how the updated 21 mp turbo camera was missing perfectly lit situations constantly, and even the slightest challenge mean photo disaster. So after having the phone for this long, and nothing done at all about the poor camera, it was time to move on. What made it worse was that the MAXX easily, hands down, blew the turbo out of the water for photo quality. Constantly. So if your dream phone is something like that, great. but I fail to see how you cant understand why its a problem for some of us. Much like yourself I read the specs and figured this to be the best phone ever, esp the comical tagline...21 mp camera at the flick of a wrist, so you dont miss any of the action. Sigh, action seemed to be the MAIN thing this camera couldnt capture. And I promise you, I wanted this phone to work. I bought it outright, so having it fail on me, I can promise you I gave it every last chance. Losing all my easter photos to poor quality was the last straw.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
But I should consider myself lucky, and YOU cant understand me, because I don't like a phone that isnt meeting my expectations or needs? Sort of a stange stance to take. Screen resolution, seriously, can hardly tell the difference. battery, same. The turbo charge is great, but more times than not, I am near a charger, or have to make do with the "only 3300mah" battery, lol. You are commenting on a phone you DO NOT own, yet we here have had both versions, and are giving honest opinions. Besides battery life, pictures, constantly taking pictures, are important to me. Go have a look in the Turbo thread and see a few recent examples how the updated 21 mp turbo camera was missing perfectly lit situations constantly, and even the slightest challenge mean photo disaster. So after having the phone for this long, and nothing done at all about the poor camera, it was time to move on. What made it worse was that the MAXX easily, hands down, blew the turbo out of the water for photo quality. Constantly. So if your dream phone is something like that, great. but I fail to see how you cant understand why its a problem for some of us. Much like yourself I read the specs and figured this to be the best phone ever, esp the comical tagline...21 mp camera at the flick of a wrist, so you dont miss any of the action. Sigh, action seemed to be the MAIN thing this camera couldnt capture. And I promise you, I wanted this phone to work. I bought it outright, so having it fail on me, I can promise you I gave it every last chance. Losing all my easter photos to poor quality was the last straw.

I remember when the Maxx was first released, it had the same exact camera issue, which was fixed later on with a software update. The issue here is probably the same, and there is probably a fix with Lollipop. The only issue would be Verizon stalling to push out the update for God knows why. That's all I'm saying. I wasn't trying to anger you.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Yep, that's me. :) The Turbo is a great phone, the screen and battery life just aren't all the greatness you would think given the specs.

I believe you pointed this out in the video, but between the Turbo and Maxx, the Maxx's whites are very yellowish which I realized when using my girlfriend's Note 4, and that fact in itself is enough to drive me crazy.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe you pointed this out in the video, but between the Turbo and Maxx, the Maxx's whites are very yellowish which I realized when using my girlfriend's Note 4, and that fact in itself is enough to drive me crazy.

They are a bit yellow, but I didn't know that until I had something else to compare them to. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I remember when the Maxx was first released, it had the same exact camera issue, which was fixed later on with a software update. The issue here is probably the same, and there is probably a fix with Lollipop. The only issue would be Verizon stalling to push out the update for God knows why. That's all I'm saying. I wasn't trying to anger you.

No, trust me, not angered. I just want to give you my side of the story. Having had both, I can tell you with 100% honesty, using the maxx the past few days has not really seemed a step back. It is a rare day I burn through the battery, the screen life is fine, speed is fine, crashes are non-existent....its a great phone.

I remember the MAXX having...some...camera issues, which the update fixed nicely. The issues though were no where near as bad at the Turbos issues. Trust me. Go look at my recent thread and view my easter pictures. I mean I have a perfectly lit room, every time, and 3 of the people will be perfect and crystal clear, and two will be blurry and ghostlike. Then look at the concert photo. Cant even qualify that hot mess. Then check out the concert photo taken from the same spot basically, with the maxx, and give your honest opinion. I was never getting the poor quality shots with the maxx as I was with the turbo, and that was even prior to any update. The Turbo is slow....tremendously, painstakingly slow. And others have commented on here that the update to other phones didnt do much at all for the phone. The hardware itself seems to be lacking, as well as OIS, and all that. They seemed to just throw a strangely slow 21 mp shooter on the Turbo, but with nothing else to go for it. There are only certain things updates can fix, and trust me, Ive looked into this in great detail, and a lot of people have warned not to expect the lollipop update to be a magical fix for this.

Last edited:

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't really have big problems with the camera on the turbo other than I'd never try and catch some action shots with it. Its not as good as the camera on my mom's Note3 or the LG G2 or 3 that I played with, but its 'good enough'. I don't have a clue why they thought they needed to make it 21MP though other than for the people who think that bigger is better. OIS would be a nice addition. Really my only big complaint about the phone is that the batter was better on my Maxx. Not by a ton, but I still got better battery life. I'd finish a 10h shift at work starting at 100% when I left home and end up with 60-70% and rarely if ever went below 50% by the end of the day. On the Turbo with the same use in the same location I'm usually closer to 50% by the end of a shift and its common to be at 40% by the end of the day. I'm still making it through the day, but it was nice to have that extra cushion for when I'm on vacation or have an extra hard use day.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
For me, it was just too limiting. I work for a hockey team, and manage a rink, so most of the times Im reaching for my camera, It is going to be an action shot, not a standstill landscape. Other than that, lots of concerts, with crazy lights and motions, again I need to capture that. When the camera couldnt even get me a decent picture of my 1.5 year old niece this easter, I threw in the towel. and sadly, the marketing team did their job getting me to buy. I figured coming from the pretty damn good 10mp camera on the Maxx, the "powerhouse 21 mp camera" on the turbo would demolish it. It is sadly one of the worst camera phones, for my uses and expectations, that I have owned.

Last edited:

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Much like yourself I read the specs and figured this to be the best phone ever, esp the comical tagline...21 mp camera at the flick of a wrist, so you dont miss any of the action. Sigh, action seemed to be the MAIN thing this camera couldnt capture.

That flick-of-the-wrist thing sure is nice, but my running joke with my gal pal with the Turbo is, you NEED it to start taking multiple shots fast, since you will have to take so bloomin' many of them to get a couple of good ones.

I'm not ready to part ways with Moto yet, but I can most definitely relate to your frustration with the camera. Moto already had lots of complaints with the Moto X camera (both generations), so they had time to get it right with the Turbo, but oddly enough they really didn't. Sooner or later Motorola needs to wake up and realize that a decent reliable cell phone camera is important to a lot of folks. They excel in so many other ways; I just don't get it.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Sharkita...that is hilarious, simply because its true. multiple rapid fire shots, different camera apps, settings, lighting, flash, no flash, I mean I tried everything. This was my 6th or 7th moto, and this was FINALLY my last attempt of saying...eventually they have to do something about their historically poor cameras, it HAS to be this time, this new phone will get it right. Only to not have it done right. A lot of people feel....its a phone WITH a camera, so consider yourself lucky. But if its a camera phone, I want/need a decent to good camera. That is all. This camera I dont even qualify as that. Useable picture would be fine. I couldnt get those. My opinion (only mine) is its now become an important part of a mobile phone. If it wasn't, why would every phone have it?

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've used the iPhone, nexus, note, HTC and the xperia flagships. And I'm currently using the droid turbo. If anything, you're just pissed at the phone. Because in my experience this phone has been just great. The software experience matches the nexus. Battery life matches the xperia. The screen 'almost' matches the note 4. The camera experience is a bit slow but it does pretty well over all. Not to mention that it nearly excels in daylight. The design is rugged and solid and has a great in-hand feel.

I understand that the Maxx is enough for you. But please don't call the features 'useless' just because you don't think they're useful. I respect you had a bad experience with the phone and you have every right to be upset. But in my experience in which camera matters A LOT, it is doing a pretty good job. Not up there with the Samsungs and the iPhones. But still... Its good enough for me. And trust me I'm very picky and specific with my phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I've used the iPhone, nexus, note, HTC and the xperia flagships. And I'm currently using the droid turbo. If anything, you're just pissed at the phone. Because in my experience this phone has been just great. The software experience matches the nexus. Battery life matches the xperia. The screen 'almost' matches the note 4. The camera experience is a bit slow but it does pretty well over all. Not to mention that it nearly excels in daylight. The design is rugged and solid and has a great in-hand feel.

I understand that the Maxx is enough for you. But please don't call the features 'useless' just because you don't think they're useful. I respect you had a bad experience with the phone and you have every right to be upset. But in my experience in which camera matters A LOT, it is doing a pretty good job. Not up there with the Samsungs and the iPhones. But still... Its good enough for me. And trust me I'm very picky and specific with my phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

SO....your opinion is right, and mine is wrong...is pretty much what I can get from your post? To me, the ability to not capture the photos I wanted, yes, left the camera "useless" for me. I fail to see how Im pissed at the phone? I didnt like the camera, and I finally gave up with too many missed photos of things I WANTED pictures of. If you ever read any of my posts, you will see I heartily praise the turbo for being a great phone. But the fact of the matter is, after not being satisfied with the camera, and going back to the maxx, I didnt see much of a decline. I suppose I expected too much from the upgrade, as it was only one generation improved, and maybe had I waited for the Ultra Turbo or Turbo 2, I wouldve seen a bigger difference, but i didnt.

So Ill ask, why do you get to say you are picky, so therefore I need to agree with your thoughts and mine arent right, Im just "pissed at the phone"? I simply dont get it. I dont like the phone for overall expectations and needs, so I got rid of it. End of story. Wasnt a personal attack against you, or Motorola. Id actually be willing to bet ive put a lot more money in Motorolas pockets than most people on here, as I have had every single incarnation of the droid since the original. Its pretty clear I wanted to like the phone. But...i didnt.