Why does Textra use 192+ MB?

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Why does textra use 192+mb? I'm trying different ones out and noticed textra is 192 mb on my app list. Also tried chomp and it's made by same company and its just 15mb?

Whats the deal?

Posted via the Android Central App

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Textra users...

Is that the app storage or the data? The app storage is one of the smallest SMS apps on the market. I can understand why the data would be high, many texts with embedded photos or videos.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Is that the app storage or the data? The app storage is one of the smallest SMS apps on the market. I can understand why the data would be high, many texts with embedded photos or videos.

It's the data #. But... I have chomp, verizon messages, Google Messenger all installed and none of them have more than 6mb in the data category. Textra = 187mb...

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

It's the data #. But... I have chomp, verizon messages, Google Messenger all installed and none of them have more than 6mb in the data category. Textra = 187mb...

I'm sure part of it has to do with the level of customizability in Textra. The ability to save individual settings for all your contacts (or however many you choose) adds up more than it would in the data of an app without that ability or with options for that. The fact I can set individual alert tones for each contact is one of the things that keeps me using Textra, and coming back when I try something different.

As I recall, Google Messenger has only basic customization.

Verizon Messages is something I was surprised I liked quite a bit...but then discovered all the customization you can do person by person is for a *conversation* and not a contact. So, deleting a conversation also deletes any personalization for that person (folks who don't clean up finished conversations wouldn't really notice but I delete conversations when they've run their course). The next message you receive will be with default settings you have set for the app. I assume that also means less info is being saved as data.

I also tried out Chomp recently. I ended up back with Textra pretty quickly. Nothing bad at all about Chomp, and I don't recall specifically what it lacked that I missed (the other thing I like about Textra after contacts customization is font settings...I think I liked the display of text better with Textra than Chomp and Chomp didn't allow me to tweak).

FYI, my App storage is 8.3 MB, and Data is 57.17 MB. My data is large, yours seems huge, but I also don't know how much customization you've done, how many active conversations you might have going on etc.

For me, the larger storage needed is absolutely worth it. Textra is the best for me.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Unlike most other sms apps (maybe all of them), textra pulls your messages from Android's central store and has its own database, and it also fetches MMS messages itself. When you first install and make textra the default sms app you'll see a message saying that it might be slow for a while as it optimizes your messages. That's when it is copying the old message store over.

(Well, now that I read that, it may be that it pulls in only the MMS messages, but remember that group text messages, even if they are all plain text, are also handled as MMS messages.)

I just installed textra without making it the default app. It's 8.35 MB.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I suspect it holds on to old messages in data, even if I deletes them? I can't imagine only my customizations would take up 57+ MB. When I delete my texts I don't want them hanging around taking up space (unless it was important to me to archive them, and then I would look for a program to do that...I don't believe I have that option in Textra anyway). Maybe all those little notfication tones and color bubble settings just take up more room than I think, but I don't have hundreds or even dozens of personalizations..

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

No way it's due to customization. Chomp offers way more. Textra is fast and prides itself on having a small footprint. Anything above the 8 or 9 MB is due to the number of conversations and messages and photos within those messages. You could probably ask Max or Jason over at Textra, they always respond quickly.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

No way it's due to customization. Chomp offers way more. Textra is fast and prides itself on having a small footprint. Anything above the 8 or 9 MB is due to the number of conversations and messages and photos within those messages. You could probably ask Max or Jason over at Textra, they always respond quickly.

Unless it is holding on to messages and photos within them after I delete them, it isn't from comversations. I had no active messages in Textra when I posted my earlier data total. I also had no cached media in the Textra folder on my phone.

If it is holding on to old (deleted) conversations and media from them,that is a huge waste of storage space. And one that I am guessing we can only delete while also deleting customizations.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

I'm sure part of it has to do with the level of customizability in Textra. The ability to save individual settings for all your contacts (or however many you choose) adds up more than it would in the data of an app without that ability or with options for that. The fact I can set individual alert tones for each contact is one of the things that keeps me using Textra, and coming back when I try something different.

As I recall, Google Messenger has only basic customization.

Verizon Messages is something I was surprised I liked quite a bit...but then discovered all the customization you can do person by person is for a *conversation* and not a contact. So, deleting a conversation also deletes any personalization for that person (folks who don't clean up finished conversations wouldn't really notice but I delete conversations when they've run their course). The next message you receive will be with default settings you have set for the app. I assume that also means less info is being saved as data.

I also tried out Chomp recently. I ended up back with Textra pretty quickly. Nothing bad at all about Chomp, and I don't recall specifically what it lacked that I missed (the other thing I like about Textra after contacts customization is font settings...I think I liked the display of text better with Textra than Chomp and Chomp didn't allow me to tweak).

FYI, my App storage is 8.3 MB, and Data is 57.17 MB. My data is large, yours seems huge, but I also don't know how much customization you've done, how many active conversations you might have going on etc.

For me, the larger storage needed is absolutely worth it. Textra is the best for me.

Mine is like that right out of the gate. As soon as I install it. No customizations.

anon(9228075)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

Mine must be messages. I never delete message threads. Not once since I had my turbo (December)

Ping Man

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

From Textra:

You must have tons of messages correct?

Textra uses it's own data base to enhance performance, most other messaging apps like chompSMS feed off the stock messaging apps data-base.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Mine must be messages. I never delete message threads. Not once since I had my turbo (December)

See, that makes sense. I do and shouldn't have a ton of data (although mine at 49.71 MB of Data seems high for having no active conversations in Textra right now but nowhere near the high triple digits some of you guys have).

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

From Textra:

You must have tons of messages correct?

Textra uses it's own data base to enhance performance, most other messaging apps like chompSMS feed off the stock messaging apps data-base.

It makes sense to me if you get a lot of messages and never delete them that you'd have even as much as 327 MB. Also, even with a fresh install of Textra, if it imported messages you had that weren't deleted, it would have increased Data storage immediatly...but only if you can actually see them. My main question is whether or not messages info is saved after we delete them. If you have 327 MB of data storage and no messages in Textra, for example.

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

I cleared the data and deleted my messages and it dropped down to 10mb. I have deleted my messages before, but I dont do it regularly. When I deleted I had 22 convos going.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I cleared the data and deleted my messages and it dropped down to 10mb. I have deleted my messages before, but I dont do it regularly. When I deleted I had 22 convos going.

When you cleared your data it also deleted your customization settings?

Clearing the data didn't clear the messaages? Meaning you also had to go in to Textra and delete them?

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

When you cleared your data it also deleted your customization settings?

Clearing the data didn't clear the messaages? Meaning you also had to go in to Textra and delete them?

Correct and correct. The customization was a little annoying but it's back to how it was. And deleting the conversations was simple but, yes. Did have to clear away both

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz