05-15-2015 08:00 PM
28 12
tools
    I have an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket. I get an upgrade every year through my job. Currently have an M8. I have been considering the LG G4, Droid Turbo, and Note 4. Looks like it will be a while for the LG so I'm still considering the others. How does the Turbo look in the current landscape?
    04-28-2015 02:38 PM
    I'm also ready for an upgrade, had my Nexus 4 for over 2 years. I'm looking at the Turbo. The specs still look great even when you put them up against other new phones like the Galaxy S6. Plus Best Buy just dropped it to $50 on 2 year contract with Verizon!
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-28-2015 02:46 PM
    Camera is my only complaint. It isn't bad, but it has a slow shutter that is terrible with motion. I was considering pulling the trigger early with the S6 edge but poor battery life coupled with a non-removable battery and price (and later discovered accelerometer issues) kept me waiting on the G4. Now the G4 is out, it is hard to believe that it came out without wireless charging OR quick charge (I would have considered those new flagship standards at this point). That and the size of it (Turbo is my in-hand limit for size, and I'd like to go down a little) make me happy again with my Turbo.

So, I'd say Turbo should definitely be considered at or near the top of the heap - except for camera. Some will complain that it doesn't have Lollipop yet, but I've never noticed any 'major' upgrade to live up to the hype - and Lollipop is not exempt from this, just ask the G3 & S5 owners who are wishing for their Kit Kat back
    04-28-2015 02:56 PM
    Best Buy Update... it's back to $149.99. I don't know what they are doing... it was at $49.99 yesterday.
    04-28-2015 02:57 PM
    My wife and I both just upgraded to the Turbo from the 2013 Moto X. Once we turned off Advanced Calling, the Turbo has been great for us.

As long as you're OK not having Lollipop for a while and the possibility of not having simultaneous voice/data if you need to disable AC, this is a great phone.

It is an upgrade in every respect to the Moto X. The camera is good enough for me, I use my DSLR when I'm serious about the pictures I'm taking. Battery life is insane. The phone is very snappy. We're quite happy.
    04-28-2015 03:01 PM
    Camera is my only complaint. It isn't bad, but it has a slow shutter that is terrible with motion. I was considering pulling the trigger early with the S6 edge but poor battery life coupled with a non-removable battery and price (and later discovered accelerometer issues) kept me waiting on the G4. Now the G4 is out, it is hard to believe that it came out without wireless charging OR quick charge (I would have considered those new flagship standards at this point). That and the size of it (Turbo is my in-hand limit for size, and I'd like to go down a little) make me happy again with my Turbo.

So, I'd say Turbo should definitely be considered at or near the top of the heap - except for camera. Some will complain that it doesn't have Lollipop yet, but I've never noticed any 'major' upgrade to live up to the hype - and Lollipop is not exempt from this, just ask the G3 & S5 owners who are wishing for their Kit Kat back
    Probably the best response you're going to get on this question. Agreed on all points.
    04-28-2015 03:05 PM
    My wife and I both just upgraded to the Turbo from the 2013 Moto X. Once we turned off Advanced Calling, the Turbo has been great for us.

As long as you're OK not having Lollipop for a while and the possibility of not having simultaneous voice/data if you need to disable AC, this is a great phone.

It is an upgrade in every respect to the Moto X. The camera is good enough for me, I use my DSLR when I'm serious about the pictures I'm taking. Battery life is insane. The phone is very snappy. We're quite happy.
    check out this thread regarding fixing the sound issues with AC. Worked for me!
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...-earpiece.html
    04-28-2015 03:24 PM
    Thanks for the feedback. I had a Moto X 2013 until I switched carriers and the wife had a Droid Maxx. I was always envious of her battery life. Now she has a Moto X 2014, which has relatively poor battery life. As does my M8.
    04-28-2015 03:31 PM
    Turbo is the best of the lot IMO if you want all day+night (and them some) battery life with a fast processor. People knock the camera for being a bit slow, rightfully so, but I have found taking action shots is not as much as an issue as some people make it out to be. Pictures come out very nicely in my completely unprofessional opinion.

If your primary concerns are battery life and raw power, the Turbo is a very good phone. I considered the G3 when I was recently looking to upgrade but it is so big that it is difficult to sit with it in a front jeans pocket. The Turbo is a big phone but slightly smaller than the G3/G4. It is imminently more pocketable than the G3/G4. I find it easy to pocket in jeans as well as suit jackets.

Oh yeah, and Verizon will replace the phone one time within 2 years if you crack the screen. That may not matter to you if your work is paying for it but it's nice for those of us that would otherwise have to shell out $$ ourselves.
    bbarend likes this.
    04-28-2015 04:04 PM
    I like my turbo.
    maxman1 likes this.
    04-28-2015 11:33 PM
    Best overall phone I've seen much less, had the pleasure to own. In spite of a couple of things that could be better, far offset by multiple plus factors. Even today I don't see one I'd pass on the Turbo for.
    04-28-2015 11:51 PM
    I echo the positive comments of my Turbo brethren.

Specifically as it relates to the camera and its issues, the problem is specifically motion in lower (not necessarily low) light. I take a lot of pics of our daughter playing basketball. The gym is very well lit and it is almost impossible to get a significant number of usable shots (where my prior Droid Maxx did stop action much better). That's just one example so you understand the bar isn't being set very high for conditions (bright gym, 8 year olds playing hoops).

If you take flash pics, outdoor shots of really anything, including motion, etc. you'll be one of the Turbo owners who doesn't have a problem with the camera. It really does depend on what you will shoot often enough for it to matter to you.

Beyond that, rock solid phone in virtually every way. The Moto specific software is something I would have a hard time doing without now.
    04-29-2015 12:11 AM
    Almost every article I've read about the Turbo has said that the Turbo will still be a competitive phone at the anniversary of your upgrade.

There hasn't been a phone released yet that I'd rather have. By far this is the best phone I've ever owned and it will take an amazing feat of engineering to make me give the Turbo second thoughts.

Posted via the Android Central App
    maxman1, tsinvest and KPMcClave like this.
    04-29-2015 06:21 AM
    Turbo still worth it?
    Yes. Next question?
    04-29-2015 12:35 PM
    I've had the turbo for a while now. And I love everything about it! Though the software has been pretty buggy for me. And it gets annoying sometimes, just noticing how many weird things the software can do to me. And I know they will get less if I do a hard reset.

The camera has been pretty good for me at least. I have managed to take low light shots OF STILL SUBJECTS and sometimes moving subjects too. Daylight shots are great at best. Not the best.

Apart from MY buggy software experience this has been the best phone ever! The screen is amazing everything is almost perfect.

BUT I will give the edge to the Note 4. I mean, that's a pretty perfect phone as well. It's big. Yes. But the screen and the camera and the battery life and the built and everything it offers is just as good!

Camera is better on the note 4.
    Software is better on the Turbo.
    The build is amazing on both.
    The note 4 is more future proof in terms of design IMO.
    Turbo is more future proof in terms of software IMO as in, it won't ever slow down. Samsungs do boggle down after a while regardless of what chip set it has in it.

Its a tough call actually.

KPMcClave likes this.
    04-29-2015 01:19 PM
    In contrast with many of these other reviews, as someone who has owned my Turbo since November I'd say beware. If battery life and charging is your top priority, it may be worth it. But other than that, except for maybe the HTC One M9, any of the current flagship devices (Galaxy S6, G4, Nexus 6) are probably better than the Turbo. Display quality is average at best in that group, materials and build quality is nothing special, the external speaker is quiet and tinny-sounding, network and Wi-Fi signal strength is below average, Advanced Calling needs a near-perfect LTE signal to function, camera is average at best (daylight still shots) and terrible at worst (shutter lag/any motion shots)...and worst of all has been the track record of software updates and manufacturer/carrier support. It took Motorola months to acknowledge people are having issues with signal/reception/calls/contacts crashing in the latest version of KitKat (check out the Motorola support forums).

For what it's worth, I wish I had waited and got something else.
    04-29-2015 04:25 PM
    Turbo. Best phone I've ever owned. The front facing speaker though mono is plenty loud enough. I play music with my turbo on the passenger seat. I've compared the turbo to the M8 ... About the same loudness. I got the blue turbo from Best Buy when had it as an upgrade for $1.00...That's right, you heard me just $1.00!

04-29-2015 07:28 PM
    To be honest I just switched from T-Mobile to Verizon and I had my choice to wait one day for the m9 or the turbo and I went with the turbo from battery camera call quality this phone screams threw apps but what made it worth it for me was best buy had it for 50$ are you kidding me that was a deal... So I'd say its worth it even at 150 just depending on what you like or want in a smart phone.

04-30-2015 02:44 PM
    I have an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket. I get an upgrade every year through my job. Currently have an M8. I have been considering the LG G4, Droid Turbo, and Note 4. Looks like it will be a while for the LG so I'm still considering the others. How does the Turbo look in the current landscape?
    Make sure you factor in AC 1.0 into your decision making process. Problems with actual 4G LTE coverage (don't believe Verizon's maps get actual empirical coverage input for your area of usage) can result in dropped calls and inability to use simultaneous voice and data (think no Google map & receiving or initiating calls). Don't count on 5.1 for fixing because Motorola & Verizon are mute as to if it will even address this.
    04-30-2015 06:19 PM
    Make sure you factor in AC 1.0 into your decision making process. Problems with actual 4G LTE coverage (don't believe Verizon's maps get actual empirical coverage input for your area of usage) can result in dropped calls and inability to use simultaneous voice and data (think no Google map & receiving or initiating calls). Don't count on 5.1 for fixing because Motorola & Verizon are mute as to if it will even address this.
    I know that the Note 4 can do voice and data without VoLTE, and the Turbo needs VoLTE, but do we know yet about the G4?
    04-30-2015 06:58 PM

I'm so glad you shared this - you pretty much summed up most of my questions about the Turbo.
    BrewinginCO likes this.
    04-30-2015 07:41 PM
    check out this thread regarding fixing the sound issues with AC. Worked for me!
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/mot...-earpiece.html
    Thanks for the link. However, our issues have more to do with spotty LTE coverage near our home, and especially in our home. Once they can figure out handing off to 3G and wifi, AC will be much more usable for us.
    doogald likes this.
    05-01-2015 12:15 PM
    Went from an HTC One M7 to a Droid Turbo about one month ago and haven't looked back.

Highlights:
    - Love the battery life, including the quick and wireless charging.
    - Superior way to do a "sneak peek" of notifications.
    - Hands free operation is a lot better than on HTC.
    - Lots of raw horsepower and memory.
    - Build quality feels great.

Cons:
    - Average camera, but nothing terrible.
    - In call quality isn't great.
    - I miss some of my HTC specific widgets and customizations.

Regardless, no regrets here, even though I thought for awhile based on the phone being ~6 months old when I bought it.
    05-05-2015 10:14 AM
    I was up for my upgrade on the 28th of April as well and was waiting for the G4 and while it was nice certain things turned me off about it and I still went with the Turbo. Yeah the camera can be lacking but I dont mind much since I am photographer and usually have a DSLR with me. Its good enough for little quick snaps of things if you ask me. The battery life is great on this thing and its best selling point. Also not sure if you have a Costco membership or know someone who does but the Turbo is still a Penny through them, and with Costco you pay tax on $199 and not on the full retail price. My out the door price was 16 bux when I got it a little over a week ago!
    daniel-k likes this.
    05-12-2015 02:14 PM
    I was up for my upgrade on the 28th of April as well and was waiting for the G4 and while it was nice certain things turned me off about it and I still went with the Turbo. Yeah the camera can be lacking but I dont mind much since I am photographer and usually have a DSLR with me. Its good enough for little quick snaps of things if you ask me. The battery life is great on this thing and its best selling point. Also not sure if you have a Costco membership or know someone who does but the Turbo is still a Penny through them, and with Costco you pay tax on $199 and not on the full retail price. My out the door price was 16 bux when I got it a little over a week ago!
    Great deal.
    05-13-2015 10:49 AM
28 12