Can I get some help with Turbo & Textra?

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Turbo & Textra

Folks,

Oddest thing. I have been trying Textra for the last week or so, and for the most part, I really like it. Last night, I decided I would go back to the stock Android messenging app. What I noticed, is that my SMS notifications were not working. Not the audible, nor vibration. I went into Messenging, and unselected/reselected my choices, including which sound to play, and that did not make a difference. A little more playing around, and I find that IF I am in a conversation with someone and have that conversation on the screen, and they send me a text, then I get the sound/vibration. If I am doing something else on my phone, then no notification.

This has to be remnants from Textra, as I have not installed or made any other changes to my phone since installing it. In an attempt to fix, I reinstalled Textra, made it the SMS client, then fired up Messages, and made it the primary client, but that didnt matter either.

Anyone else experience this? Know how to fix?

thanks in advance.

Dave

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Turbo & Textra

Folks,

Oddest thing. I have been trying Textra for the last week or so, and for the most part, I really like it. Last night, I decided I would go back to the stock Android messenging app. What I noticed, is that my SMS notifications were not working. Not the audible, nor vibration. I went into Messenging, and unselected/reselected my choices, including which sound to play, and that did not make a difference. A little more playing around, and I find that IF I am in a conversation with someone and have that conversation on the screen, and they send me a text, then I get the sound/vibration. If I am doing something else on my phone, then no notification.

This has to be remnants from Textra, as I have not installed or made any other changes to my phone since installing it. In an attempt to fix, I reinstalled Textra, made it the SMS client, then fired up Messages, and made it the primary client, but that didnt matter either.

Anyone else experience this? Know how to fix?

thanks in advance.

Dave

This is probably of no help directly, but maybe helps with info gathering.

When I'm in Textra and receive a message, the notification sound doesn't play. Othewrise, they play as they should. I think this is by design. What you describe is the opposite of that behavior, which leads me to believe your hunch is right and Textra may have left some footprints behind.

This is the sort of thing I think a cache partition wipe should help:
Wipe Cache Partition DROID TURBO by Motorola | Verizon Wireless

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not tried that yet, but will do so next. I did boot into safe mode to see if that mattered, and it did not. I may try to contract the Textra folks too.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

If you are not using textra as your active sms app, uninstall it. Unlike other sms apps, when it is not the default textra will try to fetch MMS content and often does so before the stock messaging system can get to it. You'll see a notice that you have a message with a download prompt in your default app but it never downloads. If you go into textra you'll find it there.

It doesn't always happen, but I happens enough that I suggest uninstalling the app if you don't have it the default.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

If you are not using textra as your active sms app, uninstall it. Unlike other sms apps, when it is not the default textra will try to fetch MMS content and often does so before the stock messaging system can get to it. You'll see a notice that you have a message with a download prompt in your default app but it never downloads. If you go into textra you'll find it there.

It doesn't always happen, but I happens enough that I suggest uninstalling the app if you don't have it the default.

Thanks. I had done that, and it was after that that I noticed the problem. I will uninstall again, and then do a cache wipe.

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I emailed the developer, no response, since they are in Asia. I am preparing for a FDR I guess.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I emailed the developer, no response, since they are in Asia. I am preparing for a FDR I guess.

One more thing to try: go into settings and make Hangouts the default SMS app. Then send yourself a text (you can do this from email - send a short email without a subject to yournumber@vtext.com) and see if you get notified. Then try making the other app your default messaging app and try again.

If you still can't get it working, I'm not sure which app you are using, but Google Messenger in the Play Store is a nice alternative with good features. I've tried using Hangouts as my SMS app but just don't like it much, nor do I particularly like the Verizon Messages app. But, that's another alternative...

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

One more thing to try: go into settings and make Hangouts the default SMS app. Then send yourself a text (you can do this from email - send a short email without a subject to yournumber@vtext.com) and see if you get notified. Then try making the other app your default messaging app and try again.

If you still can't get it working, I'm not sure which app you are using, but Google Messenger in the Play Store is a nice alternative with good features. I've tried using Hangouts as my SMS app but just don't like it much, nor do I particularly like the Verizon Messages app. But, that's another alternative...

thanks for the suggestions. I did all that last night, no go. I dropped back, and punted, and did a FDR today. That took care of it. Still no response from the Textra folks. The cynic in me says they did something on purpose to make it hard to leave Textra, because its notifications were all working correctly. Its all the other apps that were not. I see they are going to start charging for the ad-free version. Just makes me wonder I guess.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

thanks for the suggestions. I did all that last night, no go. I dropped back, and punted, and did a FDR today. That took care of it. Still no response from the Textra folks. The cynic in me says they did something on purpose to make it hard to leave Textra, because its notifications were all working correctly. Its all the other apps that were not. I see they are going to start charging for the ad-free version. Just makes me wonder I guess.

I suppose it's possible they did something sneaky, but I tend to doubt it. They warned us ahead of time they were going to an ads/Pro model and explained why. It's been free for 3 years (their timeframe) without ads, it's a widely respected app generally speaking, and (I just got the upgrade option this morning) it's only $.99 to get the Pro version with "no ads ever."

That all seems like reasonable and responsible behavior.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I am terrible about bouncing back and forth between different apps. I have used Textra on and off for years. Usually I delete it when I am trying out another app. I've never noticed problems like you described.

TJ Kelly Jr

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site

Got another great texting app, try EvolveSMS. I've been using it for a while and I love it!!!

Posted via the Android Central App