The Galaxy S3 will get Lollipop before we do.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I give up. I really don't care anymore. Verizon has honestly lost my trust and loyalty.

While I'm less bothered by the tardy update, I was thinking more a loss of loyalty to the Droid brand than to Verizon, since I kind of need Verizon if I am going to get a signal in most of thee places close to where I live. T-Mobile is pathetic around here. The last two Droids are decent enough but last year's Maxx had a crap and buggy KitKat update that wasn't patched for 6 months and still has issues for me (namely, if I travel somewhere where I am roaming - mostly rural NH and VT, which I often do - if I lose signal, when I regain it mobile data doesn't work until I restart the phone. That happened twice in the last few days. My wife's iPhone and my LTE iPad - solid as a rock.) And for this year's Turbo, they seem to care more about pushing bug fix updates to VoLTE than just getting those fixes into Lollipop, and I keep reading of weird problems with the Turbo - phone calls that don't ring the phone; problems with WiFi. And, frankly, Google spit the bit with Lollipop anyway. What a piece of crap Lollipop has been. It makes 2013's iOS7 update look good, and that is saying a lot.

For a long time I've been 70/30 about staying with Android/switching to iPhone for my next upgrade. Lately I've been more 50/50, but it's creeping more toward 40/60. I just don't see any desirable Android handsets that aren't compromised somehow (Galaxy S6 - small battery and glass back; M9 - mediocre camera; LG G4 - weird looking leather back and weird buttons; Moto X - small battery and crap camera.) My only hope is that this year's Moto X actually has a decent camera AND battery. I never thought I'd say this, but, otherwise, it's probably going to be an iPhone this fall...

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the leather back on the G4 looks a little weird, but I owned a G3, and that button placement is extremely intuitive...I kinda miss it.

How I feel about not getting the LP update; well when I purchased the phone it did everything I wanted. It still does everything I want. So not having the latest OS is no deal breaker for me. Lollipop like every Android OS update is a curiosity for me, but I have never and will never buy a phone based on what it will be, I buy based on what it is.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Its funny how you mention the issue of compromise and then say iPhone would make you feel better. Not starting an iPhone vs android phone war here but I think iPhone compromises a lot more things than what you mentioned and in return gives you stability and built quality. Customization for one is something I can't live without. Being able to download any app off the internet. Flexibility. Priority based purchases. Not to mention how you can get such amazing phones for little as $180 (moto G which I've used daily and has impressed more than I could imagine).

Anyways that's your choice. And know that I've been a huuuuuge apple fanboy in my time. And I've used all iPhones till the 5S. And then I switched. Can't even imagine going back. The homescreen of the iPhone makes me nauseous having looked at the same thing all those years. Not being able to change anything except the wallpapers. If you're a tech lover and likes spending time on your smartphone, you're going to miss the heck out of android. If you're a 'meh' user and just want a good good good phone. IPhone is that phone!

On the other hand, blaming Motorola or the droid brand for this doesn't make sense as the Moto Turbo (Indian version of the droid turbo currently being sold via Flipkart in India fully unlocked) runs Lollipop out of the box. Pure android lollipop! By Motorola! Unlocked! The same phone!

So it's pretty evident what's keeping the update waiting. It's Verizon.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Its funny how you mention the issue of compromise and then say iPhone would make you feel better. Not starting an iPhone vs android phone war here but I think iPhone compromises a lot more things than what you mentioned and in return gives you stability and built quality. Customization for one is something I can't live without.

I'm fine without it. I've had an iPad for a few years; almost everyone in my family and extended family has an iPhone (in fact, 23 iPhones and three of us have Android phones.) They are great devices, and I can customize enough. There are a handful of things I will miss: using an app to put call logs in my calendar. Motorola Active Display (which I won't get in a non-Moto Android phone anyway.) Swiftkey (I've tried it on iOS and it sucks, and the iOS keyboard is not nearly as good.) But - that's it. So many apps that I use on Android have better versions on iOS, or they are at least as good. I can think of no Android-only app that I will miss if I switch, other than the keyboard. Music/audio media is handled much better on iOS than Android for what I need to do. Battery life is better for the same sized battery (so it'll be as good as the Turbo with a smaller battery.)

Being able to download any app off the internet.

I have literally no interest in that. In fact, quite the opposite; I definitely don't want to install apps from anywhere other than the Play Store on Android.

Priority based purchases.

I don't even know what that means.

Not to mention how you can get such amazing phones for little as $180

Not on Verizon postpaid, and I'm not interested in the compromises I'd have to make for a cheap phone. Particularly in camera, performance and battery life.

If you're a tech lover and likes spending time on your smartphone, you're going to miss the heck out of android. If you're a 'meh' user and just want a good good good phone. IPhone is that phone!

I am a tech lover, but, as I said, I am quite familiar with iOS. I'll be fine. My phone's homescreen is a bunch of icons on folders with a dock and a clock widget. So, I'll lose the clock widget. I also have the Verizon data usage widget on another homescreen, but iOS lets you put that widget in the "Today" portion of the notification shade, so the few times I need to see where data usage stands, I can find it easy enough.

I'm not going to lose much if I switch. But I'll also gain a lot - the ability to drive the 25 minutes to the Apple Store to replace the battery if it craps out. The ability to do the same if the screen breaks. The ability to get AppleCare+, something that Motorola doesn't offer, as well as a place to get the phone fixed/exchanged. Better support from third party peripherals (I can plug an iPhone into the USB port of my car sound system rather than connect by BT, plus I have a bunch of things around the house that offer iDevice connectivity but no Android support.) And, as I said, better audio player support; when I press the play/pause button of my earbud headset, I know that the phone will either start playing or stop playing music. Trust me when I say that is not the same with Android, at least on KitKat right now.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
This is a four year old debate. I don't wish to get into it. In my opinion and in the opinions of most reviewers today the experience both platforms give has pretty much converged to all the same.

To me, the fact that you can make your phone personal and customize your phone to your needs counts a lot. Widgets (information at glance). And the fact that if I don't have much money I can still get a near iPhone like experience under $350 (onelplus, Alcatel idol 3, moto g).

So yes. You're right! Get an iPhone. It will give you 2 hours screen on time. Like my brother's iPhone 6 does. I guess that's better than most phones out there.

Sarcasm.
Take it easy.
Cheers!

Last edited:

flybub

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Apple devices have their issues also. I have a 6 plus sitting in my drawer that I bought outright in November. The screen keeps freezing but the hardware buttons work fine so it's either the screen or the OS, awesome for a $900 device. Genius at the bar goes through it, reinstalled the OS and can't find anything wrong but offers me a refurb for $329. It's not always greener on the other side. Pretty bad my Turbo on Kitkat runs circles around the 6 Plus on 8.3 even when it was in good shape. Everyone else can have that bug ridden lollipop, I'm good on 4.4

Posted via the Android Central App