Droid Turbo: Is There A Wifi Hotspot App That Works?

BlackenedHole

May 7, 2015
Visit site
At our house we have two phones, a jailbroken iPhone (that has a tweak that unlocks the native mobile hotspot) and a Razr Maxx HD equipped with Easy Tether. Both have unlimited data. I'm thinking about upgrading my iPhone to the Turbo and can't seem to find a definitive answer on a true hotspot, but articles that confirm apps like FoxFi, PDA.net, and Easy Tether can only tether. This would be fine for a computer, but there a devices (an iPad, an iPod, a Nintendo DS, and another iPhone) that can't tether to a phone like a computer. Before I make the move to actually buy a Turbo, is there a true free wifi hotspot available? I don't care if I have to root to get it as long as my devices can connect to it.

Thanks!

BlackenedHole

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I've used the native hotspot without any issues.

But what I was asking was if there's one where it can be used with an unlimited plan and still broadcast a signal. The native tether nags you to sign up for a plan, and is utterly useless on that plan without a tweak to override it.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
But what I was asking was if there's one where it can be used with an unlimited plan and still broadcast a signal. The native tether nags you to sign up for a plan, and is utterly useless on that plan without a tweak to override it.

Without using the faux root on XDA, if you want wifi hotspot on the turbo you'll need to pony up the 10$ or so for the feature on the droid turbo.

Posted via the Android Central App

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

I use FoxFi (now called pdaNet). However, this will not work once Lollipop is released.

Turbo 64GB Beast

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
$10.00 ??? Are you sure about that figure, Droid Turbo is exclusive to Verizon in the US. and they charge $30.00 per month.

BlackenedHole

May 7, 2015
Visit site
I use FoxFi (now called pdaNet). However, this will not work once Lollipop is released.

Turbo 64GB Beast

As I don't plan to update very often, if at all, I think that that might be a good option. You can confirm that it's a true wifi hotspot app?

EDIT: I got ahold of my moms phone that runs 4.4.3. Looks like Motorola broke the hotspot option with 4.4. Unless there's a way to downgrade the OS that app won't work.

Last edited:

BlackenedHole

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Without using the faux root on XDA, if you want wifi hotspot on the turbo you'll need to pony up the 10$ or so for the feature on the droid turbo.

Without the phone in hand, I can't test that the rooting of it will produce the result I'm looking for (though I have been looking around and saw a root based app that seems to work for most). I'll keep this in mind. :)

heath patrick

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same setup you want and yes it works. I have verizon unlimited data and a turbo that has has been rooted and the hotspot works. You will have to pay $20 to root your turbo Then you flash a custom image that has the hotspot enabled.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
$10.00 ??? Are you sure about that figure, Droid Turbo is exclusive to Verizon in the US. and they charge $30.00 per month.

Really? No wonder people go through such lengths to get it for free.

I get my plan through a corporate account, and the WiFi hotspot is $10 a month (or prorated $1 a day). I thought that price point was universal, my bad.

Justin Bluer

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I use my hotspot all the time and have zero issues.

I should've read your next post, I have Verizon's contract and use the built in hotspot so I can't really answer you.

beeztrain

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
You pay $30/month for unlimited data and are ******** about paying another $30/month for mobile hotspot? I pay more than both those things combined for my 15gb data plan! $60/month for unlimited data and mobile hotspot sounds like the deal of the century to me!

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
1. Download "Network Signal Refresher Lite By 8JAPPS"
2. Run the app, Hit the refresh button.
3. Pull down notification drawer, pull down again to get to the quick settings tiles
4. Wait until the Sim card icon changes to the completely empty signal bars icon
5. Hit the hotspot button only once, wait a few seconds it will turn on.

kkhanmd

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
To get hotspot to work on 7 here's what you do, kinda sucks but it works. First while phone is on pop out sim card tray the phone will lock so unlock it. Now pull down the quick settings all the way. Pop back in the sim card tray then hit hotspot icon. Hotspot should now work. Again it kind of sucks cause you habe to do it Everytime to turn on but for now that's the only way I've found

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci