Can I get the Droid Ultra phone app on my Droid Turbo?

A

AC Question

can i get the droid ultra phone app on my droid turbo?

I liked the phone app on my droid ultra a lot better than on this droid turbo. Can I change it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: can i get the droid ultra phone app on my droid turbo?

Welcome to Android Central! I doubt it--it's probably not so much the app, but rather the Android version the phone is on. The Lollipop dialer looks different from the KitKat dialer.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! I doubt it--it's probably not so much the app, but rather the Android version the phone is on. The Lollipop dialer looks different from the KitKat dialer.

The Droid Ultra is still on KK IIRC. I think it's just a different design, just like the Droid Command Center widget was different from the Ultra/Maxx/Mini than the one on the Turbo. I don't know if anyone has taken the time to post an apk file for that dialer or not. XDA would probably be the best place to start looking.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I liked the phone app on my droid ultra a lot better than on this droid turbo. Can I change it?

I like the darker dialer, as well. In fact, I downloaded ExDialer from the Play Store so I could use a dark theme. I'd prefer not to have to use a 3rd party app for that, but really dislike the light dialer on the Turbo.

FWIW, in reading a bit about the dialer when I first got the Turbo, I got the feeling it is a very finicky thing and best left alone. That's why I downloaded ExDialer and didn't seek out a dialer apk. I'd be thrilled to hear I can smoothly replace the dialer, though.

Even if the dialer could be swapped out, It sounds like the type of thing that would require root.

Newdroid122

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

I just started using ready contacts & dialer and it's been working pretty well so far

Posted via the Android Central App

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I like the darker dialer, as well. In fact, I downloaded ExDialer from the Play Store so I could use a dark theme. I'd prefer not to have to use a 3rd party app for that, but really dislike the light dialer on the Turbo.

FWIW, in reading a bit about the dialer when I first got the Turbo, I got the feeling it is a very finicky thing and best left alone. That's why I downloaded ExDialer and didn't seek out a dialer apk. I'd be thrilled to hear I can smoothly replace the dialer, though.

Even if the dialer could be swapped out, It sounds like the type of thing that would require root.

I agree, I prefer the dialer that was on the Maxx (which I'm assuming is the same as the one in the Ultra the OP is referring to). I also liked the ability to swipe left or right to move between dialer, history, and favorites, same as in the contacts app. I also miss the dark theme, but supposedly there are plans to have multiple themes (light, dark, etc.). The dialer on the Turbo is almost identical to the one from the 2013 Moto X. I assume they wanted to make their phones closer to each other in terms of look and user experience.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

What's funny about this is that many, many people were griping when the Ultra/Maxx received the KitKat updates but kept the Jellybean dialer. Everybody wanted the dialer the 2013 Moto X got with KitKat.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What's funny about this is that many, many people were griping when the Ultra/Maxx received the KitKat updates but kept the Jellybean dialer. Everybody wanted the dialer the 2013 Moto X got with KitKat.

I wasn't one of them. I also wasn't thrilled with them switching out the status bar colors from multi colored to monochrome. With the old setup (multi colored) I could see my battery percentage in the battery icon. Now I don't see any numbers until it gets down to about 60%, and then I only see the top of the numbers. I don't have a solid idea until it gets down to around 45-50%. They kept the multi color scheme in the first KK update, but went monochrome in the second. And for all the reasoning they gave for how much it would save in resources and battery life, I haven't seen it yet. I think in reality it just made it easier for them to update.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I wasn't one of them. I also wasn't thrilled with them switching out the status bar colors from multi colored to monochrome. With the old setup (multi colored) I could see my battery percentage in the battery icon. Now I don't see any numbers until it gets down to about 60%, and then I only see the top of the numbers. I don't have a solid idea until it gets down to around 45-50%. They kept the multi color scheme in the first KK update, but went monochrome in the second. And for all the reasoning they gave for how much it would save in resources and battery life, I haven't seen it yet. I think in reality it just made it easier for them to update.

And that promise goes even farther out the window when you also change the dialer from dark to light. I prefer dark themes and such aesthetically, but there is also a great technological reason to not lighten up the scheme on a phone with an AMOLED screen.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

And that promise goes even farther out the window when you also change the dialer from dark to light. I prefer dark themes and such aesthetically, but there is also a great technological reason to not lighten up the scheme on a phone with an AMOLED screen.

Exactly. One of the reasons I have used devices with amoled screens is that if go with a dark theme, you can save battery because those pixels are shut off. With an LCD, the backlight lights the whole screen when it is on, so the only thing you can do there is lower the brightness, but you're still illuminating the entire screen. With amoled and a dark theme, only the lighter pixels are drawing any amount of juice. Also it would really muck up Moto Display if they ever went to an LCD in terms of battery life. I just wish Motorola could have access to Samsung's Super Amoled panels, and not ones from a year or two ago. They would really be a top tier device then. More vibrant colors, better contrast and battery life, and less chance of screen burn in, according to reports.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Exactly. One of the reasons I have used devices with amoled screens is that if go with a dark theme, you can save battery because those pixels are shut off. With an LCD, the backlight lights the whole screen when it is on, so the only thing you can do there is lower the brightness, but you're still illuminating the entire screen. With amoled and a dark theme, only the lighter pixels are drawing any amount of juice. Also it would really muck up Moto Display if they ever went to an LCD in terms of battery life. I just wish Motorola could have access to Samsung's Super Amoled panels, and not ones from a year or two ago. They would really be a top tier device then. More vibrant colors, better contrast and battery life, and less chance of screen burn in, according to reports.

They already do Moto Display with the LCD DROID MINI and the second generation Moto E.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

They already do Moto Display with the LCD DROID MINI and the second generation Moto E.

I know, but to me it kind of defeats the purpose. When first introduced, Active Display was supposed to give more information than a notification LED without turning the full screen on and helping with battery life. I have a niece and nephew who both have Droid Mini's (my brother also had one before switching to a 2013 Moto X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781