On two occasions now the phone has been making an odd 'alert' tone both after unlocking the screen and while the phone screen is active.

It's not an application doing this because they are all closed. The phone is only supposed to make a click sound for locking and unlocking as per sound settings.

I can't figure out what this alert tone is and neither can Verizon support. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-19-2015 05:28 PM
    This sounds kind of similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRlhElkcPs

Due to NFC. Any NFC chips near your phone?
    It'd be ideal to get a better description of the alert, or better yet, hear a soundclip. Any way to record it and save it in the cloud somewhere for us to hear?
    05-19-2015 05:33 PM
    How can I go about getting a sound clip? Is there anything that will work on stock?

I'm almost wondering if it's some sort of severe weather alert.

05-19-2015 06:21 PM
    People who have done this for the forums usually record the sound using another device, simply with a microphone. Then they upload it to Soundcloud or a similar cloud service.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    05-19-2015 07:16 PM
    FWIW, I had a very strange alert sound unlike any I've ever heard before only once - never before & never again after. No notification, no way to determine what prompted it. In my case, I was in the process of updating my credit card info using the RedBox app. I just chalked it up to an aberration in the app?? Caught me entirely by surprise the tone was so odd, it was very strange.
    05-19-2015 07:39 PM
    It's not an application doing this because they are all closed. The phone is only supposed to make a click sound for locking and unlocking as per sound settings.
    Wait, what does this mean, "they are all closed"? You know that many applications have services that listen for updates in the background, even if you never open the app?

That said, maybe it's an emergency alert - go to the app drawer, tap "Emergency alerts" (an example of what I mentioned above - an app that you think isn't running that definitely is running.) Are there any alerts listed? (Though I kind of doubt it's this, because they tend to be in your face when they happen.)

While you are in the app, tap the menu control top right, then settings. You can turn off all alerts except the top, "Presidential alert" (which I have never heard since I've owned a phone that has this mandatory app), unless you really want to get things like amber alerts.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-19-2015 07:42 PM
    Emergency tones are turned off. The phone unlock sound is a knocking sound, and that is not what I am hearing.

Here is the link to the sound I am hearing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N...ew?usp=sharing. Verizon's basic and advanced support have no clue what this is, and neither does Motorola support who wants to just redo the same troubleshooting steps performed by Verizon.

This sound has been occurring every afternoon for the past three days, and only off and on for a period of an hour.
    05-20-2015 05:53 PM
    Emergency tones are turned off. The phone unlock sound is a knocking sound, and that is not what I am hearing.

Here is the link to the sound I am hearing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0N...ew?usp=sharing. Verizon's basic and advanced support have no clue what this is, and neither does Motorola support who wants to just redo the same troubleshooting steps performed by Verizon.

This sound has been occurring every afternoon for the past three days, and only off and on for a period of an hour.
    That sounds eerily similar (and may well be) to the sound I got once. In my case it has not recurred & I have no idea what prompted it. As I said above, I had the RedBox app open, updating my credit card info at the time. It sounded a number of times then, stopped on it's own. Very strange, totally unlike any normal phone notification or alert.
    05-20-2015 06:11 PM
    I have Google fit installed and maybe it's an alert telling me I've reached my goal, but Google fit has been installed for some time and has never made that noise.

I'm sure it will happen again tomorrow. I'll try to get a better sample of it if I'm not outside at the time it starts.

05-20-2015 06:25 PM
    Yeah, I've heard something similar posted here before, I think with a Samsung device.

Do you have NFC turned on? I wonder if it might have something to do with that.
    05-20-2015 07:02 PM
    I've heard that before. First time ever was my original droid...can't even remember what it was. But it's a weather warning. I couldn't find it the other day when mine was going off but I'm certain it's the weather warning. I've heard it on my other droid phones
    05-20-2015 07:10 PM
    I was starting to suspect it might be weather related. In the area that I'm in right now, there have been a couple of days where there has been a thunder storm.

I heard it today though and there was not any significant weather in the area. If this sound is in fact weather related, is there a way to turn it off?

05-20-2015 09:28 PM
    Were it a weather alert there would be a corresponding visual notification.
    05-20-2015 09:34 PM

maxman1 and Jonpitch4k like this.
    05-20-2015 09:38 PM

Different tone on the Turbo but my mystery SOLVED! Thanks so much, although I wasn't concerned about the one-time occasion it happened to me it bugged me as to what did it. The video solved it - as I was entering my credit card data into the app, brushed the phone a few times with the card.

EDIT: Tone IS same as video, the recording just sounds a bit different.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    05-20-2015 09:57 PM
    Mystery solved!

My military ID has a chip in it and with NFC on and the ID card next to the phone, it makes that sound.

Now the question is why did this not happen with the droid maxx? That phone has NFC capabilities and I never heard that sound on that phone.

B. Diddy likes this.
    05-21-2015 03:22 PM
    Mystery solved!

My military ID has a chip in it and with NFC on and the ID card next to the phone, it makes that sound.

Now the question is why did this not happen with the droid maxx? That phone has NFC capabilities and I never heard that sound on that phone.

Stronger NFC reader?
    05-21-2015 04:53 PM
    Are you sure NFC was turned on with the Maxx? I usually turn mine off, since I don't use it, so maybe you did as well.
    05-21-2015 05:01 PM
    Yeah, I've heard something similar posted here before, I think with a Samsung device.

Do you have NFC turned on? I wonder if it might have something to do with that.
    You are amazing! Most helpful post on this forum yet.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-10-2016 08:05 PM
    You are amazing! Most helpful post on this forum yet.
    Welcome to Android Central, and glad I could be of service!
    09-11-2016 01:57 AM
    Welcome to Android Central, and glad I could be of service!
    I've had this after sliding a hotel key card into my phone wallet. Most frustrating till I found this post! Thanks.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-02-2016 01:40 AM
    Hi i had same problem too. I looked on unternet for readin why.... and found if i turn off sound unlocking in setting ut will stop and still.happend i then read turning of nfc from drop down menuwould work gave it a try and yippe it gone im using samsung s7
    02-19-2017 06:34 AM
    Hi i had same problem too. I looked on unternet for readin why.... and found if i turn off sound unlocking in setting ut will stop and still.happend i then read turning of nfc from drop down menuwould work gave it a try and yippe it gone im using samsung s7
    I had the same problem with my new Samsung S7. Finally after reading this post, I discovered my NFC was on. Thank you so much everyone!
    05-15-2017 10:07 AM

I was having the same issue, this nfc post reminded me that I put a hotel key card in my phone protector earlier today. I took it out and the chime stopped. Putting the card next to my phone prompted the same chime. Thanks!
    12-08-2017 03:40 PM
    On two occasions now the phone has been making an odd 'alert' tone both after unlocking the screen and while the phone screen is active.

I can't figure out what this alert tone is and neither can Verizon support. Can anyone help me figure this out?

I came looking here for the answer to this very same question and the first answer was the correct one. I had a hotel room key in my phone pocket. The phone was reacting to the electronics in the room key card
    05-23-2018 10:19 AM