What is this Odd noise when unlocking screen?

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Odd noise when unlocking screen

On two occasions now the phone has been making an odd 'alert' tone both after unlocking the screen and while the phone screen is active.

It's not an application doing this because they are all closed. The phone is only supposed to make a click sound for locking and unlocking as per sound settings.

I can't figure out what this alert tone is and neither can Verizon support. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

It'd be ideal to get a better description of the alert, or better yet, hear a soundclip. Any way to record it and save it in the cloud somewhere for us to hear?

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
re:

How can I go about getting a sound clip? Is there anything that will work on stock?

I'm almost wondering if it's some sort of severe weather alert.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

People who have done this for the forums usually record the sound using another device, simply with a microphone. Then they upload it to Soundcloud or a similar cloud service.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
re:

FWIW, I had a very strange alert sound unlike any I've ever heard before only once - never before & never again after. No notification, no way to determine what prompted it. In my case, I was in the process of updating my credit card info using the RedBox app. I just chalked it up to an aberration in the app?? Caught me entirely by surprise the tone was so odd, it was very strange.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
re:

It's not an application doing this because they are all closed. The phone is only supposed to make a click sound for locking and unlocking as per sound settings.

Wait, what does this mean, "they are all closed"? You know that many applications have services that listen for updates in the background, even if you never open the app?

That said, maybe it's an emergency alert - go to the app drawer, tap "Emergency alerts" (an example of what I mentioned above - an app that you think isn't running that definitely is running.) Are there any alerts listed? (Though I kind of doubt it's this, because they tend to be in your face when they happen.)

While you are in the app, tap the menu control top right, then settings. You can turn off all alerts except the top, "Presidential alert" (which I have never heard since I've owned a phone that has this mandatory app), unless you really want to get things like amber alerts.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
re:

Emergency tones are turned off. The phone unlock sound is a knocking sound, and that is not what I am hearing.

Here is the link to the sound I am hearing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NUQF7Y-KVjNklNZlhoTWQweWM/view?usp=sharing. Verizon's basic and advanced support have no clue what this is, and neither does Motorola support who wants to just redo the same troubleshooting steps performed by Verizon.

This sound has been occurring every afternoon for the past three days, and only off and on for a period of an hour.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
re:

Emergency tones are turned off. The phone unlock sound is a knocking sound, and that is not what I am hearing.

Here is the link to the sound I am hearing: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0NUQF7Y-KVjNklNZlhoTWQweWM/view?usp=sharing. Verizon's basic and advanced support have no clue what this is, and neither does Motorola support who wants to just redo the same troubleshooting steps performed by Verizon.

This sound has been occurring every afternoon for the past three days, and only off and on for a period of an hour.
That sounds eerily similar (and may well be) to the sound I got once. In my case it has not recurred & I have no idea what prompted it. As I said above, I had the RedBox app open, updating my credit card info at the time. It sounded a number of times then, stopped on it's own. Very strange, totally unlike any normal phone notification or alert.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
re:

I have Google fit installed and maybe it's an alert telling me I've reached my goal, but Google fit has been installed for some time and has never made that noise.

I'm sure it will happen again tomorrow. I'll try to get a better sample of it if I'm not outside at the time it starts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Yeah, I've heard something similar posted here before, I think with a Samsung device.

Do you have NFC turned on? I wonder if it might have something to do with that.

I800C0LLECT

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
re:

I've heard that before. First time ever was my original droid...can't even remember what it was. But it's a weather warning. I couldn't find it the other day when mine was going off but I'm certain it's the weather warning. I've heard it on my other droid phones

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
re:

I was starting to suspect it might be weather related. In the area that I'm in right now, there have been a couple of days where there has been a thunder storm.

I heard it today though and there was not any significant weather in the area. If this sound is in fact weather related, is there a way to turn it off?

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
re:

This sounds kind of similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTRlhElkcPs

Due to NFC. Any NFC chips near your phone?
Different tone on the Turbo but my mystery SOLVED! Thanks so much, although I wasn't concerned about the one-time occasion it happened to me it bugged me as to what did it. The video solved it - as I was entering my credit card data into the app, brushed the phone a few times with the card.

EDIT: Tone IS same as video, the recording just sounds a bit different.

Last edited:

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
re:

Mystery solved!

My military ID has a chip in it and with NFC on and the ID card next to the phone, it makes that sound.

Now the question is why did this not happen with the droid maxx? That phone has NFC capabilities and I never heard that sound on that phone.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
re:

Mystery solved!

My military ID has a chip in it and with NFC on and the ID card next to the phone, it makes that sound.

Now the question is why did this not happen with the droid maxx? That phone has NFC capabilities and I never heard that sound on that phone.

Stronger NFC reader?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

Are you sure NFC was turned on with the Maxx? I usually turn mine off, since I don't use it, so maybe you did as well.