Just how durable is the turbo?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up a red metalized glass turbo. I wanted a phone that was very durable. I was considering the kyocera brigadier for that reason but went with a high end phone instead. My question is posed to those that have had the phone for a while and do not use a case. Is it showing signs of wear?

I hate using cases. I got a shell/holster verizon case when i bought the phone and removed it after a few hours.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since launch, caseless and no screen protector. I work outside in the arizona desert. Also, I've had two bad drops, once on concrete, once on hardwood. Other than one scratch on the screen (that I can only see if I look for it under a bright light) and some minor dings and scruffs around the outside of the phone, its still perfect. Very durable in my experience.

Posted via the Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
As far as phones go its on the sturdy end of the scale. I would still suggest at least a bumper, just to keep the glass from touchung surfaces, esp when dropped. There are plenty of threads about a cracked screen as well as posts about the phones surviving without cracking.

The point being that its not a "rugged" phone, however its got a good strong construction. Just remember glass is glass..

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
As far as phones go its on the sturdy end of the scale. I would still suggest at least a bumper, just to keep the glass from touchung surfaces, esp when dropped. There are plenty of threads about a cracked screen as well as posts about the phones surviving without cracking.

The point being that its not a "rugged" phone, however its got a good strong construction. Just remember glass is glass..

fair enough. i do have insurance for a catastrophic event. but i'm more concerned about standing up to day to day use. like today my wife grabbed my by the pocket of my shorts (she's on a lot of pain meds) and i was like oh crap did she grab ma phone.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I have screen protector and a clear tpu case, dropped it 3 times on hardwood floor from about 3' with no scratch or any issue. Look up droid turbo drop test on YouTube. There's a video.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I got mine day one. No case, no screen protector. Unless you looked at it under a magnifying glass, you wouldn't know it was more than a week old.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I got mine day one. No case, no screen protector. Unless you looked at it under a magnifying glass, you wouldn't know it was more than a week old.

Posted from my Droid Turbo, Kelly and Ozone

Have you had any drops, if so what type? Just always want to go back to case free.

tvouge

Feb 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you had any drops, if so what type? Just always want to go back to case free.

Like Russell said, glass is glass. If the screen gets impacted at the right angle its going to crack.

That being said, I think this phone is well designed. Very solid. If you're not clumsy or accident prone join me on the wild side and run it naked.

Born free brother.

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I only use a tempered glass screen protector and I've dropped it a few times from between 3-5 feet (waist to chest high on me) on concrete and I only have a scratch on the tempered glass screen protector.

I'm surprised at how tough it is. My MotoX (original) was pretty tough too.

Visc

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I had my phone in my shirt pocket while I was riding the tower of terror at Disney, when we fell down the turbo went up. Luckily, it didn't even scratch the phone. Everything still worked great. Even if it did manage to crack, they offer one free replacement through Motorola.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I only use a tempered glass screen protector and I've dropped it a few times from between 3-5 feet (waist to chest high on me) on concrete and I only have a scratch on the tempered glass screen protector.

I'm surprised at how tough it is. My MotoX (original) was pretty tough too.

I was reading about how the the screen protectors help spread out the impact so that the tiny cracks found naturally in class don't have to take the impact in one tiny area.

GatsbyGlen

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I too hate cases and screen protectors. I have the ballistic nylon and while it doesn't show wear, it will scratch if dropped. There are no scratches on the screen, but the edges of the phone are a bit soft and will get dinged up pretty easily, although that is perfectly fine with me. It just gives the phone character.

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I too hate cases and screen protectors. I have the ballistic nylon and while it doesn't show wear, it will scratch if dropped. There are no scratches on the screen, but the edges of the phone are a bit soft and will get dinged up pretty easily, although that is perfectly fine with me. It just gives the phone character.

Lol, nice way of looking at it!

zrcr

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Turbo a few months and have dropped it an alarming 4 or 5 times, which is unusual for me. Nothing major has come about it other than a few nicks on the side of the phone. With these larger screen phones, I'm a militant non-case user.

The Turbo has held up and feels solid. However, like others have said, it seems to be the luck of the draw on how the phone hits the ground.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I've owned the Ballistic Nylon Turbo since day 1 of release, and I carry (the phone) naked, with a tempered glass screen protector. I just don't like cases if I can get away with it. I've dropped my phone like a bad habit so many times, I'm embarrassed to admit it -- more than any other phone I've owned. Not the fault of the phone mind you; I find the BN Turbo quite stable in the hand. I'm just getting clumsier as I grow older. Two times I've dropped the phone have been so severe that I really cringed, and and in both cases, the tempered glass took the damage (the first drop, big time). The second drop, I got some barely noticeable damage on two corners of the case itself (concrete driveway). The tempered glass on that one suffered a minor chip that most folks could live with, but I eventually replaced it when a sale popped up.

TLDR? This unit is a beast, but I definitely recommend a tempered glass screen protector. Which one? Search the forum. You could almost write a novella on the subject. No matter what product you pick, you'll find negative and positive experiences. I've been very lucky in that I've been able to pick up excellent deals from Xtreme Guard (probably the cheapest you can get when they have a sale going on -- under $7), but user experiences on this product are mixed. Short version: get a screen protector of the TEMPERED GLASS variety and go caseless with pride.

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I've owned the Ballistic Nylon Turbo since day 1 of release, and I carry (the phone) naked, with a tempered glass screen protector. I just don't like cases if I can get away with it. I've dropped my phone like a bad habit so many times, I'm embarrassed to admit it -- more than any other phone I've owned. Not the fault of the phone mind you; I find the BN Turbo quite stable in the hand. I'm just getting clumsier as I grow older. Two times I've dropped the phone have been so severe that I really cringed, and and in both cases, the tempered glass took the damage (the first drop, big time). The second drop, I got some barely noticeable damage on two corners of the case itself (concrete driveway). The tempered glass on that one suffered a minor chip that most folks could live with, but I eventually replaced it when a sale popped up.

TLDR? This unit is a beast, but I definitely recommend a tempered glass screen protector. Which one? Search the forum. You could almost write a novella on the subject. No matter what product you pick, you'll find negative and positive experiences. I've been very lucky in that I've been able to pick up excellent deals from Xtreme Guard (probably the cheapest you can get when they have a sale going on -- under $7), but user experiences on this product are mixed. Short version: get a screen protector of the TEMPERED GLASS variety and go caseless with pride.

Mixed indeed. As you know I've had horrible experience with Xtreme Guard. MIME, usually great, was a bad fit on the Turbo. iVoler was bad too.

The only one that fit properly was the Verizon Tempered Glass. Not the Flexible Glass, it feels horrible but fit well. I've installed 2 Verizon Tempered and my friend did one and all 3 were great.